The Casper Wave and the original Casper obviously have the same maker, but beyond that, these are two relatively different bed-in-a-box options. We’ll compare them in this post to help you determine which is a better fit for you.
- Both incorporate memory foam.
- Both have a balanced foam feel.
- Both are all-foam mattresses.
- Both use CertiPUR-US certified foams. This certification means these materials are considered more eco-friendly than typical mattress materials.
- Both have 100-night trials.
- Both feature zoned support.
- Both offer free shipping.
- Casper Wave is more expensive ($550 to $1,150 for the original Casper; $1,095 to $2,395 for Casper Wave).
- The Wave is thicker. (Casper Wave is 11.5″ thick; the original Casper is 10″ thick.)
- The Wave uses a new proprietary “Flo Foam” material.
- Casper has more layers overall.
- The Wave uses latex.
Deals: You can save $50 on the Casper Wave or the Original Casper by clicking HERE and using code “MATTRESSCLARITY”.
Casper Wave Construction
- Casper Wave is wrapped in a thick, soft, durable cover.
- The Wave’s top layer is 1″ of soft “Flo Foam,” a proprietary material intended to relieve pressure.
- The second layer is 1.5″ of supportive latex foam, which is followed by a third layer of 1.5″ of responsive, visco-elastic memory foam.
- A 1.5″ layer of high-resiliency foam with a polymer network helps distribute weight evenly.
- The 5.5″ supportive foam base layer uses contour cuts to create the Wave’s zoned support system.
Original Casper Construction
- The original Casper has a lightweight cover.
- The 1.5″ top layer is made of open-cell polyfoam.
- The second layer is 1.5″ of memory foam, followed by a third layer comprised of 1.5″ of polyfoam transition foam. The purpose of this third layer is to ensure even weight distribution.
- The third layer is zoned to be firmer in the middle and softer at the head and foot of the mattress.
- 5″ of high-density polyfoam form the base layer.
- Both have responsive surfaces.
- The original Casper has a denser surface feel.
- The Wave has a lighter surface feel.
- Both conform to contours, but Casper Wave does this a little better.
- The Wave is thicker.
- The Wave is better at supporting more weight.
- The Wave has zoned support.
- The Wave incorporates latex.
Both are responsive and have a balanced foam feel, but the original Casper has a denser and slightly firmer feel.
Motion Transfer Differences
Both isolate motion well, though the Casper Wave has a little big of an edge because of its unique top layer material. Either is a good option for couples.
Pick Casper Wave If …
- You are heavier. The Casper Wave is thicker and generally more supportive, which may make it ideal for heavier-weight sleepers.
- You need extra support. The Casper Wave has zoned support, so you get the support you need where you need it.
Pick Original Casper If …
- You are on a budget. The original Casper costs less than the Wave and is affordable as far as mattresses go overall.
- You weigh less. If you don’t need extra support, the original Casper should be fine for you.
These are two great options from a well-known bed-in-a-box maker. The differences that will matter most for most shoppers are price and weight support. Hopefully this comparison helped you determine which is the better option for you.
Please leave any specific questions about either model in the comments.
All images from Casper
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Casper Vs Casper Hybrid – Which Is Best For You? - May 15, 2019
- 40 Aphrodisiacs From Around the World – Does Sleep Make The List? - May 1, 2019
- Casper Hybrid Mattress Review – How Does It Compare To The Original? - April 24, 2019