Casper and Tempur-Pedic are two very popular companies that have used a different business approach to achieve great success in this industry. Naturally, people wonder how the two companies and their mattresses compare to one another. I’ll try my best to highlight the main differences between them to help you make a more informed decision.
- Both have all-foam mattresses (with the exception of the Flex collection)
- Both have memory foam in the comfort layer
- Casper has just one mattress, while Tempur-Pedic has a full line of mattresses with different firmness levels and feels
- Casper sells its mattress for a lot less than any of the Tempur-Pedic models
- Casper uses a springy “comfort” foam at the very top of its mattress, while Tempur-Pedic always uses memory foam at the very top of its mattresses
- With the exception of the Flex collection, Tempur-Pedic has a more slow-moving feel while Casper’s feel is more responsive
- Casper is still a new company, while Tempur-Pedic has been around now for decades
Main Construction/Feel Differences
There is a pretty big difference in the feel of the Casper and the Tempur-Pedic mattresses. The Casper uses a springier foam at the top of its mattress. It returns to its original shape fairly quickly. WIth Tempur-Pedic, you slowly sink into it, and when you move around the foam takes a bit of time to respond. Whether having more responsiveness is good or bad comes down to your personal preference, so one is not necessarily better than the other.
You Might Want To Pick Casper If:
- You Want A More Responsive Mattress– As I mentioned earlier, the Casper has a more responsive feel than almost all of the Tempur-Pedic models. If you want more bounce/response from your mattress, Casper might be the way to go.
- You Want Extra Value– Because Casper sells direct-to-consumer, they are able to price their mattress much lower than Tempur-Pedic can. For that simple reason, you can probably get a little more value from Casper.
- You Have Average Sleeping Needs/Characteristics– Casper is a good fit if you aren’t looking for something overly firm or overly soft. It’s good if you aren’t overly heavy or very lightweight. If you have average needs/characteristics, Casper could be a good fit.
You Might Want To Pick Tempur-Pedic:
- You Want Firmness Options– Tempur-Pedic has a mattress that caters to every type of firmness that you could ask for, from very soft to very firm. This goes in contrast to Casper’s one-firmness-for-all concept.
- You Like The Slow-Moving Memory Foam Feel– If you like slowly sinking into your mattress and having it envelop you and contour around you, then you will probably like what Tempur-Pedic has to offer.
- You Want To Buy From A More Established Company– Tempur-Pedic has been around for decades now. That means you get the benefit of thousands of reviews from consumers who have had their mattress for years.
Note On Motion Isolation
Tempur-Pedic is the king of motion isolation. That means when someone on the other side of the bed, the other person won’t really feel it. Casper does a pretty good job of this too, but Tempur-Pedic has the edge here in my opinion. That makes it a great option for couples.
Note On Price/Value
Casper cuts out the middleman in the process, and as a result it’s able to price its mattress much lower than Tempur-Pedic. Because of this difference in business model, one could argue you get a little bit more value from Casper.
The differences should be pretty clear here. They are both great companies with great products, so I don’t think you can go wrong either way.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Zoma Mattress Review – Zoned For Comfort And Support? - November 26, 2019
- 2019 Budget Mattress Showdown! Amazon vs Zinus vs Tuft and Needle vs LinenSpa vs Lucid - November 25, 2019
- Beautyrest Black Online Mattress Review – Luxury Comfort And Support? - November 19, 2019