It used to be that larger people had to pretty much settle for any mattress they could find. Thankfully, those days are behind us. There are now a number of mattresses out there built just for heavier people.
The Brooklyn Bedding Titan is one such mattress, and it is one of the most supportive mattresses I have come across. I was interested to see how it compared to one of my favorite mattresses, the Purple 4. It is not made just for larger people, but it is a very supportive and comfortable mattress for someone of my size.
So, let’s put these two mattresses in the ring and see how they compare. Which is the right mattress for your specific situation?
- The Titan and Purple 4 are both very supportive mattresses. They should be able to support larger people.
- These are both hybrid mattresses with supportive coils and softer comfort layers.
- Both the Titan and Purple 4 are breathable mattresses.
- They are both durable mattresses.
- The Purple 4 is taller than the Titan.
- The Titan is firmer than the Purple 4.
- The mattresses incorporate different materials in their comfort layers. The Titan features memory foam and TitanFlex foam while the Purple features a gel grid.
- The mattresses have very different feels.
- The Titan is more affordable than the Purple 4.
- The Titan is 11” tall.
- The cover is made of polyester and is quilted with 1” of gel memory foam.
- The first layer is 2” of soft, responsive TitanFlex foam.
- Below that, there are 6” of TitanCaliber coils.
- Finally, there are 2” of a high-density foam.
Read the full Titan mattress review.
Purple 4 Construction
- This Purple 4 is 13″ tall.
- The Purple 4’s cover is soft and breathable.
- The first layer is 4” of a gel grid. It is made of a hyper-elastic gel polymer.
- Next, there is a 0.5” transition foam layer.
- Then you have a 7.5” layer of individually wrapped coils.
- On the bottom is 1” of a foundational foam.
Read the full Purple 4 mattress review.
- With the New Purple mattresses, you have three choices in regards to the gel grid. You can opt for 2”, 3”, or 4”. Larger side sleepers will most likely prefer the Purple 4 as it has the thickest comfort layer.
- The Purple 4’s gel grid has a very unique design. Unlike some comfort materials that will progressively compress under more and more weight, the Purple’s gel grid does not. It stays firm and supportive until enough pressure is applied. When that happens, just that area of the gel grid will collapse.
- Both of these mattresses should be able to support people of a larger size. The Titan’s TitanCaliber coils are specifically designed to handle much larger weights. The Purple 4’s gel grid is a soft yet supportive material, and the individually-wrapped coils can support larger weights as well.
- While both mattresses are quite durable, the Purple 4 should be even more durable. The hyper-elastic gel polymer is one of the firmest materials we have come across. It should retain its shape for years to come.
- The Purple 4’s gel grid is also a very breathable material. While the Titan has some nice breathability, the gel grid should allow for even more airflow with the Purple 4.
- If you are a hot sleeper, you can add a cooling panel to your Titan mattress. This will help keep the top of the mattress very cool.
The perceived firmness of a mattress can really depend on the size of your body. I weigh 230 lb, and I am the heaviest person on the Mattress Clarity team. It is worth noting that if you are larger than me, in the 250 to 400 lb weight range, you could feel like the firmnesses of these two mattresses are different than what I experienced.
With that in mind, I will say that the Titan felt like an 8.5/10 in terms of firmness. There are two somewhat soft top layers, but I am mostly feeling the supportive coils. The Purple 4 felt like a 5.5/10. While supportive, that gel grid collapses easily under the heavier parts of my body, making it feel much softer than the Titan.
Here is how I felt while sleeping in different positions on the Titan:
- When I am back sleeping, the mattress feels a bit too firm for me. I am not getting that balance of comfort and support that I prefer for back sleeping. I wish my hips could sink in a bit more.
- Moving to my side, the Titan is again too firm for me. Even with the gel memory foam and TitanFlex foam near the top, I am feeling some pressure on my shoulders and hips.
- While stomach sleeping, the Titan works very well for me. I feel the overall support of the coils, and my spine is kept in neutral alignment.
Here is how I felt sleeping in different positions on the Purple 4:
- Back sleeping on the Purple 4, I am feeling that mix of comfort and support. The gel grid collapses under my hips, while the mattress continues to support my lumbar area as well as the rest of my body.
- When I lie on my side, the gel grid collapses under my hips and shoulders. I get a somewhat weightless feeling and there is almost no pressure in those areas.
- When I move to my stomach, the mattress is supportive enough for me. I also feel like I am well aligned. However, I would say I feel better support stomach sleeping on the Titan.
These mattresses have a very different feel. The Titan has that traditional innerspring feel. Again, there are some soft layers on top, but I am mostly feeling those coils.
The Purple 4 has a very unique feel that is firm until you apply enough pressure. Then, the mattress will collapse in that isolated area. The mattress also has a squishy, gel-like feel.
See more about the Titan’s firmness and feel here:
Now, watch more about the firmness and feel of the Purple 4:
Motion Transfer Differences
If you are in search of a mattress and sleep with a partner, motion transfer should be a major consideration. Will your mattress isolate the motion of you and your partner? Will you disturb one another?
To test out the motion transfer of both these mattresses, I utilized a glass of water. I placed the glass of water on both mattresses and then pushed into the surrounding areas. I saw a little bit of disturbance with the Purple 4. I saw less disturbance on the Titan.
I think this is because the Titan has memory foam near the top of the mattress. Memory foam is usually great at isolating motion. Between these two mattresses, the Titan seems to handle motion transfer better.
See how well the Titan handles motion transfer in the video below:
Now, compare this to the Purple 4:
Edge Support Differences
If you want a mattress for couples, it is also worth thinking about edge support. You want to make sure that you and your partner can really use the full surface area of the mattress. Can you lie down near the edge of the mattress without falling off? Can you sit down near the edge without feeling like you are going to fall forward?
While sitting near the edge of the Purple 4, the mattress does collapse under my weight. I don’t feel held up in this position. Lying down, I feel a bit like I might roll off the edge of the mattress.
With the Titan, the mattress barely collapses when I sit near the edge. I also feel more secure lying near the edge.
The Titan appears to have better edge support.
Pick Titan If …
- You are a heavier stomach sleeper. When it comes to stomach sleeping, you want to make sure you get enough support on your hips. A firmer mattress is usually a better bet. The Titan is firmer than the Purple 4 and should provide better overall support for larger stomach sleepers.
- You like an innerspring feel. The Titan has some soft comfort layers on top. However, you should be mostly feeling the coils beneath. If you have had success with innerspring mattresses, the Titan should be the better choice.
- You like a firmer mattress. If you need a firmer, more supportive mattress, the Titan should work for you. Also, if you prefer sleeping on top of your mattress instead of sinking in, the Titan is a better choice.
- You are looking for a more affordable mattress. Between the two mattresses, the Titan is more affordable. If you just can’t decide between the Titan and Purple 4, choosing the Titan could save you a good amount of money.
Pick Purple 4 If …
- You are a heavier side sleeper. Larger side sleepers usually want to find a mattress with a thicker comfort layer. They want to ensure they get the pressure relief they need without bottoming out. The Purple 4 has a very thick comfort layer and relieves pressure very well, even for someone of a heavier size.
- You are a back sleeper. Back sleepers usually want to find a mattress with a balance of comfort and support. The Purple 4 has this in spades. It allows the hips to sink in while still supporting the rest of the body. Back sleepers, especially larger ones, should find the Purple 4 to be a good fit.
- You want a longer-lasting investment. The Purple 4 does cost more than the Titan, but it should be worth the investment. It is a durable mattress that should stay supportive and comfortable for many years.
- You prefer a softer mattress. While lighter people may feel differently, most larger people should agree that the Purple 4 is softer than the Titan. If you like the feeling of a softer mattress or want to sink in farther, the Purple should be the clear choice.
Both of these mattresses should be a good match for heavier sleepers.
The Titan should be better for heavier stomach sleepers and those who want a firmer mattress.
The Purple 4 should be better for back and stomach sleepers.
Please leave any questions you have about these two mattresses in the comment section below!
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- Honeybird Weighted Blanket Review – Amazing Weight Distribution? - August 22, 2019
- Best Cooling Mattress Toppers – Which Is Best For You? - August 20, 2019
- TEMPUR-Topper Supreme Review – The Best Pressure Relief? - August 14, 2019