There are benefits to choosing a latex mattress; they are often more durable, breathable, bouncy, and cooling than many other types of mattresses.
If people are in the market for a latex mattress, they might be at a loss because there are so many great options available.
Out of all the latex mattresses I have tried ten really stand out among the rest. These ten mattresses are all high-quality but are a good match for different types of sleepers.
This article will go over each mattress as well as highlight the main things people should look out for if they are looking to get an awesome latex mattress. Read on to learn about getting the best latex mattress to help people sleep better.
Our Top Picks
The best latex mattresses are:
- Saatva Latex Hybrid – Best Luxury Latex Mattress
- Birch by Helix – Best Latex Hybrid Mattress
- WinkBeds EcoCloud – Best Medium Firm Latex Mattress
- Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep – Best Mattress For Stomach Sleepers
- Zenhaven – Best All-Latex Mattress
- Avocado – Best Latex Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Brooklyn Bedding Bloom Hybrid – Best for Combination Sleepers
- Brentwood Home Cedar – Best for Back Sleepers
- Awara – Best for Stomach Sleepers
- GhostBed – Best Cheap Latex Mattress
If people are looking for a fantastic organic latex mattress to sleep better, one of these should be right for them. The team at Mattress Clarity has spent countless hours of research and testing to come up with a fairly exhaustive list of the best latex mattresses after doing over 15 latex mattress reviews. These are some of the best latex mattresses available on the market.
Best Luxury Mattress
Saatva Latex Hybrid
Many shoppers are looking for a more luxurious mattress. Maybe they love the feel and look of a hotel mattress or maybe they just want something to impress their friends. Whatever the reason, the Saatva Latex Hybrid mattress should be at the top of their list.
The Saatva Latex Hybrid contains high-end materials such as organic cotton, organic wool, Talalay latex, and individually-wrapped coils. The top of the mattress has that pillow top look and feel that is plush and comfortable. This should offer nice pressure relief for side sleepers.
At the same time, the Saatva Latex Hybrid is extremely supportive and durable. The coils and latex should be able to handle even heavier weights, and they should ensure the mattress lasts for a good amount of time.
What Makes The Saatva Latex Hybrid Stand Out?
- The Saatva Latex Hybrid is a luxury mattress that features durable, high-quality materials.
- The mattress should be a good fit for back and side sleepers.
- Some stomach sleepers could get enough support on the Saatva Latex Hybrid.
- It features very breathable materials and should be a cooler-sleeping mattress.
Read our full Saatva Latex Hybrid mattress review
The Saatva Latex Hybrid is a luxury mattress with a nice balance of comfort and support. Click the button to save $200 on the mattress.
Best Latex Hybrid Mattress
Birch By Helix
Helix has had great success with its extensive lines of hybrid mattresses – now, they have thrown their hat into the latex ring. The Birch is a latex hybrid mattress that features Talalay latex, organic wool, and individually-wrapped coils. Customers also have the option of adding a pillow top to their Birch mattress.
Without the pillow top, the Birch is an excellent choice for both back sleeping and stomach sleeping. Back sleepers should feel a balance of comfort and support, and stomach sleepers should get the support they need under their hips. With the pillow top, side sleepers should feel enough pressure relief on their shoulders and hips.
Being a latex hybrid, the Birch is also a good option for people who are worried about overheating during the night. The Talalay latex should not trap heat and the tall coils promote good airflow through the mattress.
Finally, the Birch by Helix is a good value and costs around $1500 for a Queen size. It is a great deal and a very high-quality latex hybrid mattress.
What Makes The Birch By Helix Stand Out?
- The Birch by Helix is a high-end organic mattress sold for a value price.
- The Birch is very breathable and should be a good cooling mattress for hot sleepers.
- The optional pillow top gives customers options in terms of firmness.
- With the pillow top, the Helix should be a good fit for those who deal with lower back pain and sciatica.
- Its durable materials and construction make the Birch a longer-lasting mattress.
Read our full Birch by Helix mattress review
The Birch is a comfortable and supportive latex mattress. Save $200 on the Birch and get 2 free pillows by clicking the button below.
Best Medium Firm Latex Mattress
The WinkBeds EcoCloud is a hybrid mattress that incorporates thick Talalay latex and pocketed coils in its construction. The latex and coils are both zoned, meaning they have different firmness levels in different areas, making this a great option for combo sleepers. People should feel particularly good support when they are on their back and nice pressure relief when they are sleeping on their side.
Overall, the EcoCloud is a very supportive mattress for people of different weights. The combination of Talalay latex and coils should be able to support even much heavier weights, and the mattress should be an especially good choice for heavier people with extra support needs.
The EcoCloud is a top value pick on this list, because when someone takes the quality components into account, the mattress is priced very competitively.
What Makes The EcoCloud Stand Out?
- It features a zoned construction and should be a good match for combo sleepers.
- The EcoCloud is very supportive and should be able to support larger sleepers.
- It should be a cooler sleeping mattress that is more breathable than most
- The mattress is a great value and should be viewed as a good long-term investment.
The full EcoCloud mattress review is available here.
The WinkBeds EcoCloud is a very supportive latex hybrid mattress. It should be a good match for hot sleepers and combo sleepers. You can get $300 off the EcoCloud mattress by clicking the link below.
Best Latex Mattress For Stomach Sleepers
Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep
The Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep mattress is a great choice for any type of sleepers looking for extra support from their mattress. This latex hybrid mattress is reinforced with a latex support latex, 6″ of Ascension coils, and even more firm natural latex. The reason there’s more latex under the coils is because this mattress is also flippable!
Sleepers can choose their preferred comfort level on the EcoSleep mattress by flipping it over to the other side. One side is a medium firmness level that feels more plush, bouncy, and responsive, and the other side is more firm.
This mattress is a great choice for stomach sleepers who need that extra support to keep the spine in neutral alignment while sleeping. It could also work well for heavier people or just shoppers who want a durable mattress that will last them a long time.
What Makes The Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep Stand Out?
- The EcoSleep is flippable, so sleepers can choose between the medium or firm side for their comfort.
- The high-quality materials used to make the Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep mattress make it extremely durable, so this mattress will last you for many years.
- Brooklyn Bedding offers a 120-night sleep trial period so you can feel secure in your purchase.
Read our full Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep mattress review
The Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep is a supportive latex hybrid mattress. It is flippable, so you get two firmnesses in one mattress. Click the button and use code CYBERWEEK25 to save 25% on your purchase.
Best All-Latex Mattress
The Zenhaven is probably my favorite all-latex organic mattress. While four of these mattresses all feature coils in their construction, the Zenhaven contains four layers of all-natural Talalay latex.
In addition, the Zenhaven is the only flippable mattress on this list, with a firmer side and a softer side. This innovative design makes it a great match for those who don’t quite know what firmness they are looking for.
The firm side is a great match for stomach sleepers, because people shouldn’t feel their hips sinking in when they are in this position. The soft side is a great fit for back sleepers and some side sleepers who may enjoy a little bit of pushback from their mattress.
If people want an all-latex mattress that is innovative and has some firmness options, the Zenhaven could really work for them.
What Makes The Zenhaven Stand Out?
- It features all-natural Talalay latex which is organic and free of harmful chemicals, making it a truly green mattress
- The Zenhaven is the one mattress on this list that is all-latex, rather than a latex hybrid mattress
- The mattress is flippable so people get two firmnesses in one, doubling the chances of getting the appropriate firmness level.
- It should be a great match for both back and stomach sleepers because of the firmness and overall support.
The full Zenhaven mattress review is available here.
Zenhaven is an all-natural latex mattress that is innovative and has an excellent match of comfort and support. Save $200 on Zenhaven by clicking the button below.
Best For Side Sleepers
The Avocado is a latex hybrid mattress constructed with thick layers of natural dunlop latex and pocketed support coils. Consumers also have the option of a pillow top to the bed which adds a fluffy comfortable feel and added pressure relief to the top of the mattress.
With the pillow top, the Avocado is my favorite latex mattress for side sleeping. Natural dunlop latex is not always the best with pressure relief. However, the pillow top does an excellent job of relieving pressure on the shoulders and hips to the bed.
Out of all these eight mattresses, it is probably the most pressure relieving. In addition, the pocketed coils are very supportive and should be able to support even much heavier weights.
The comfortable top and support coils also make this an excellent option for combination sleepers. The pillow top provides pressure relief when people are on their side while the coils provide support while they are on their back and stomach.
What Makes The Avocado Stand Out?
- It features all-natural Dunlop latex that is responsibly sourced and free of harmful chemicals, making it a truly organic mattress.
- The coils and latex are very supportive and should be supportive enough for heavier people.
- People can opt to add a pillow top, which adds some more pressure relief and comfort for most side sleepers. With this addition, it is one of our top-rated pillow top mattresses.
- The mattress has a nice balance of comfort and support and should be a good fit for all three sleeping positions.
The full Avocado mattress review is available here.
Avocado is an innovative, all-natural mattress that a lot of people are going to like. Right now, you can get $200 off the Avocado latex mattress by using code CYBER200.
Best For Combo Sleepers
Brooklyn Bedding Bloom Hybrid
The Bloom Hybrid is also a hybrid mattress that features a cover quilted with soft wool, then a 3″ layer of Talalay latex, followed by 8″ of individually-encased coils. Consumers can also choose from three firmness options: Soft, Medium, and Firm.
This Medium model features the best balance of comfort and support out of all these mattresses, and it is also my favorite mattress for combination sleepers.
If people are back sleepers, their hips should sink in while they also feel the general support of the steel coils. Moving to the side, the comfort layer should relieve pressure on the shoulders and hips. Finally, on the stomach, the mattress should keep people’s hips from sinking in too far and creating back pain issues.
For those people who change positions at night, the Bloom Hybrid is a particularly great option.
What Makes The Bloom Hybrid Stand Out?
- It contains Talalay latex which is responsibly and sustainably sourced, making it a great green option.
- The Bloom Hybrid comes in three firmness options, soft, medium, and firm.
- The Bloom Hybrid has the best overall balance of comfort and support out of these eight mattresses.
- The mattress is an excellent option for combination sleepers, especially those who switch between back and side sleeping.
The full Bloom Hybrid review is available here.
The Brooklyn Bedding Bloom Hybrid is an eco-friendly hybrid mattress. Click the button and use code CYBERWEEK25 to save 25% on your purchase.
Best For Back Sleepers
Brentwood Home Cedar
The Cedar is also a hybrid mattress that features 4″ of Dunlop latex as well as individually-wrapped support coils. There is also a very comfortable quilted cover on top, which adds pressure relief and comfort to the mattress.
This is my top pick for back sleeping out of this list, because it has an average firmness and is right in that sweet spot for back sleepers. The quilted cover and comfort layer allow the hips to sink in just the right amount while the coils offer support beneath that.
This is also a very supportive mattress overall, and the coils should be able to handle even much heavier weights. If you need a mattress for heavy people, the Cedar could be a good option.
What Makes The Cedar Stand Out?
- It contains all-natural Dunlop latex which is free of harmful chemicals and is a great green option
- The Cedar is just the best mattress for back sleepers and has the proper amount of support.
- It is very comfortable and could be a good fit for lighter side sleepers.
- The Cedar is very supportive and should be able to handle heavier weights.
The full Cedar mattress review is available here.
The Cedar is a hybrid mattress with latex and individually wrapped coils. It is a great match for back sleepers and fans of all-natural mattresses. Click to save $400 by using code CEDAR400.
Best For Stomach Sleepers
The Awara is also a new mattress that features a simple construction with a tufted cover, 4″ of Dunlop latex, and 9″ of pocketed coils.
This is the firmest out of these eight mattresses, which makes it the best latex mattress for stomach sleepers. They should feel the proper amount of support on their hips and their spine should be neutrally aligned when they sleep.
The Awara is also a very supportive mattress, as the latex and coils should be able to support much heavier weights. Larger back sleepers and stomach sleepers should definitely take a measured look at the Awara.
If people need a supportive, all-natural mattress, the Awara should work for them if they want something a little on the firm side.
What Makes The Awara Stand Out?
- The mattress features all-natural Dunlop latex which doesn’t contain harmful chemicals.
- The Awara is the firmest mattress on this list.
- It is very supportive and should be a great option for almost all stomach sleepers.
- The Awara should also be an excellent match for heavier back and stomach sleepers.
The full Awara mattress review is available here.
The Awara is a firmer latex hybrid mattress that could be a good pick for back and stomach sleepers. Click to save $300 on your purchase.
Best Cheap Latex Mattress
The GhostBed is the one mattress on this list that does not contain all-natural latex; It is actually a synthetic latex that has only a little bit of that latex, bouncy feel.
The mattress features the synthetic latex foam over memory foam, over a base support foam. The mattress is a bit firmer-than-average and is a good match for back sleepers and stomach sleepers.
Because the mattress does not use real latex, it is also a much more affordable mattress than the others on this list. If you want just some of that latex bounce, and you don’t want to pay so much money, the GhostBed should be a great option for you.
What Makes The GhostBed Stand Out?
- The GhostBed is a great, affordable mattress that is one of the better values out there on the market.
- It is a firmer-than-average mattress that should work for back and stomach sleeping.
- The mattress has just a bit of the latex feel, and people shouldn’t have difficulty moving around.
The full GhostBed mattress review is available here.
Ghostbed is a very supportive mattress that is ideal for back and stomach sleepers, and it is also a great value - right now, customers can get up to 30% off the GhostBed and 2 free pillows.
Are Latex Mattresses Good for Heavier Sleepers?
Marten is a staff writer for us who has participated in all our latex mattress reviews, and he weighs about 230 lb and is 6’7″ tall; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about these mattresses:
Out of this list, there are five that I think are best for heavier people for a number of reasons.
First, we have the Spindle, which is a great option if you want to be able to configure your mattress. By flipping and rearranging the layers, people can find the appropriate firmness for the. I was able to find the right configuration for me in pretty much any position.
If people are heavier back sleepers, they should lean toward the Avocado or Cedar, because they are both hybrid mattresses that allow the hips to sink into the comfort just the right amount. I then feel the support of coils beneath that, which provides great additional support, durability, and breathability (from the organic cotton cover).
For heavier side sleepers, people should take a measured look toward the Bloom Hybrid, because that mattress might have the best pressure relief out of all the mattresses on this list.
For stomach sleepers, people should take a hard look at the Awara, because it is the firmest of these mattresses, and my hips don’t bow in when I am lying on my stomach.
It seems that Marten and I agree on most of these points, but he did prefer the Bloom Hybrid for side sleeping. If people are heavier sleepers, it is worth taking Marten’s experience into account given his different opinions.
The Benefits Of Latex Mattresses
There are plenty of reasons why latex mattresses are becoming more and more popular, and there have been numerous new brands that have entered into the market recently. This type of mattress can offer a lot of different, wide-ranging benefits:
- Durability– Natural latex mattresses will typically last longer than memory foam or poly foam because of the density of the foams used in the construction. Latex foam mattresses shouldn’t sag the way many foam mattresses are wont to do, so if you are viewing your purchase as a long-term investment, then this could be a huge benefit. Make sure to read up on our top picks for the best mattress that won’t sag.
- Bounce – This is more of a personal preference type of thing, but latex mattresses are known for having great bounce overall, making the mattresses potentially good for sex and they make it easier to move around in the bed and/or switch sleeping positions.
- Elasticity – Latex can be compressed in one spot without affecting neighboring areas. This allows it to cradle the body, thereby providing support and relieving stress on pressure points.
- No feeling stuck – Memory foam owners often complain about the feeling of getting stuck in their mattress, but this is not the case with latex foam. The surface is very responsive and people don’t slowly sink into it, meaning they can get good pressure relief with latex foam without the extra sinking in feeling.
- Hypoallergenic – Latex resists mildew, mold, and dust mites, which are all allergens. Its open-cell structure allows air to flow through. This also keeps sleepers dry. As long as people opt for natural latex, they can also have peace-of-mind that it probably has not been heated with harsh chemicals.
- Natural – Natural latex foam is really the only way for a mattress to be considered “Green.” Some companies may claim that their mattress is eco-friendly, but unless they use natural latex that is not actually going to be the case. If people want a real green mattress with natural materials, latex is the way to go because there aren’t really any other good options out there.
- Sustainability – Latex is derived from rubber trees, which can yield as long as 30 years. The trees do not need herbicide or pesticides to thrive, and the bark heals quickly after the serum is harvested. When trees are spent the land is able to be replanted immediately, and natural latex will eventually biodegrade.
- Good for hot sleepers. If you overheat at night, a latex mattress could be a good option. Latex is naturally breathable and also helps dissipate heat. While materials like memory foam are known to trap heat, this shouldn’t be an issue with a latex mattress.
The Drawbacks Of Latex Mattresses
If anyone has seen any of our latex mattress reviews, they will know that latex is definitely not for everyone, and there are a few drawbacks to consider when it comes to latex mattresses:
- Weight – Natural latex mattresses are very dense and thus very heavy and difficult to move around. Consumers will need at least two people to move the mattresses around successfully. This isn’t that big of a deal once people get their mattress set up, but if they think they’ll ever have to move your mattress very much, then this could be something to consider.
- Higher cost – Natural latex is very difficult and costly to source. As a result, these mattresses tend to cost quite a bit. You have to be willing to pay a lot of money to get these mattresses. These mattresses will last a long time, so the value is really there, but they may not be in everyone’s budget.
- The feel isn’t for everyone. Some people may not like the bouncy nature of latex. This is a personal preference thing, so make sure you understand the type of feel that you like before jumping in and making a purchase.
- Latex mattresses will typically be more breathable. The foam is more open-celled and not as prone to trapping heat as memory foam does.
- Latex mattresses, on the whole, should be more durable than most memory foam mattresses because of the overall density of latex foams.
- Latex will have more bounce and a sleeping on top of the mattress feeling, while memory foam will have a slow, sinking-in feeling that resembles quicksand. This is a personal preference type of thing, so one is not necessarily better than the other in this regard.
- Memory foam will have better motion isolation, potentially making it the best mattress for couples.
- Memory foam will have a bit better pressure relief in most but not all cases.
- Latex will be a more green option than memory foam in almost all instances.
How Latex Beds And Innerspring Mattresses Compare?
- Both mattress types will be breathable and should sleep cool throughout the night (no advantage of one type over the other)
- Both mattresses will have some good bounce, which is a personal preference type of characteristic
- Latex beds will offer a more “green” option, as even the best innerspring mattresses usually come with a poly foam pillow top (made from petrochemicals)
- Latex mattress typically should be more durable than the average spring mattress because of the density of the foams used in the construction
A lot of readers have asked if there is any truth that latex mattresses will be a problem for people with a latex allergy, but there is really no truth to that rumor. All credible studies show that people will not have a reaction to latex in their bedding in any cases. That is because the latex goes through a washing process that removes any proteins from the material that would potentially cause a reaction. For this and other reasons, people shouldn’t worry about having any sort of allergic reaction on latex bedding.
What To Look For In A Latex Mattress
When people look at a latex mattress, they will be exposed to an entirely new terminology compared to other types of mattresses. Key decisions will be natural vs synthetic/blend, Dunlop vs Talalay processing, unique mattress warranty considerations, and density/ILD.
Natural vs Synthetic Latex
The latex in a mattress can be all natural latex, synthetic latex, or a blend of natural and synthetic. Natural latex (from rubber trees) and synthetic latex (made through chemical process) actually feel quite similar, though in general natural latex mattresses are preferred.
Natural latex support cores breathe and pull moisture away from the body. This keeps sleepers cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter, and more comfortable year-round. This form of latex is inherently anti-microbial, hyper-allergenic, and dust mite-resistant.
Dunlop vs Talalay
Dunlop and Talalay are two different types of latex processing. Even though both come from a rubber tree, in general, the two types of processing result in different feels. Dunlop processing leads to a firmer feel and Talalay processing leads to a softer feel.
One type of latex support core is not necessarily better than the other. Dunlop is denser while Talalay tends to attract those looking for a pillow-soft surface. Dunlop is typically heavier and more durable, but Talalay has a wider variety of ILD ratings.
I don’t think that one type of processing is better than another, although it is typically true that Talalay produces a more consistent latex. I recommend that you think about the feel of the mattress, rather than the processing method, to make your final decision because the differences aren’t very noticeable.
Latex Mattress Warranty
People will want to look at the warranty carefully (as with any mattress), but the thing to be concerned about with latex is the standard for compression/body impressions. This is the most likely issue that will come up with a latex mattress, so people should just be aware of the terms and how they expect the mattress to behave over time.
Learn more about mattress warranties.
Latex Density and ILD
With latex mattresses, people will commonly hear two measures of the foam, the density (a measure of weight given volume) and ILD (a measure of firmness).
The mattress density will be communicated in pounds (lbs) and is a measure of weight per square foot. To generalize, the higher the density, in most instances, the higher the durability of the foam.
The ILD (Indentation Load Deflection) is a measure of firmness, ranging generally from 14-44, meaning the higher the number, the firmer the mattress will be. ILD describes how easily the material will conform to one’s body. So, if someone likes to sink into the bed upon contact choose a lower rating. A rating of 14 would mean it is extremely soft while 44 would be super firm. However, most ratings fall between a 19 and 37 rating.
What are the benefits of latex mattresses?
Latex mattresses tend to be more durable than other mattress types. They are also very breathable, making them ideal for hot sleepers. They are also very responsive, making it easy to move around the mattress and switch positions.
Which are better, memory foam or latex mattresses?
This really depends on one’s personal preferences. Memory foam mattresses are probably for pressure relief and body contouring. Latex mattresses are more durable and breathable, and they can support more weight too.
How long does a latex mattress last?
A latex mattress should last a long time, potentially more than 10 years if it is all-latex. Latex mattresses are very durable overall.
Why are latex mattresses so expensive?
Natural latex is very difficult to source and it does not come from the United States. Because of this, the mattresses are going to have to cost more.
Do latex mattresses sleep hot?
Latex mattresses have very open-celled foam and are quite breathable. As a result, sleepers should not sleep hot.
Here’s a recap of our top picks for people looking for a latex mattress:
|Saatva Latex Hybrid||Best Luxury Latex Mattress|
|Birch by Helix||Best Latex Hybrid Mattress|
|WinkBeds EcoCloud||Best Medium Firm Latex Mattress|
|Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep||Best Mattress For Stomach Sleepers|
|Zenhaven||Best All-Latex Mattress|
|Avocado||Best Latex Mattress for Side Sleepers|
|Brooklyn Bedding Bloom Hybrid||Best for Combination Sleepers|
|Brentwood Home Cedar||Best for Back Sleepers|
|Awara||Best for Stomach Sleepers|
|GhostBed||Best Cheap Latex Mattress|
If consumers think a latex mattress might an appropriate choice for them, one of these ten mattresses should be an excellent option to get better sleep. No matter what position people sleep in, they should be able to find the perfect fit with one of these mattresses. People should definitely check out the individual reviews for these mattresses if they want to go in-depth on the construction and additional details.
Still searching for your next perfect mattress? Take our mattress quiz to receive tailored recommendations that match your preferences.