Avocado and Tuft & Needle are both mattress models that are sold online. The most obvious difference between the two is that Avocado is a combination foam-coil mattress while Tuft & Needle is all-foam. There are other significant differences, but also a few similarities. We’ll break down how they compare in this post.
- Both are firm and bouncy.
- Both sleep cool.
- Both offer 100-day trials.
- Both offer free shipping.
- Avocado incorporates coils.
- Avocado is a bit more durable.
- Avocado conforms better to contours.
- Avocado is thicker. (It comes in 11″ and 13″ models, while Tuft & Needle comes only in a 10″ model.)
- Avocado contains natural latex and organic cotton.
- Avocado offers an optional pillow-top.
- Tuft & Needle is a little firmer.
- Tuft & Needle is all-foam.
- Tuft & Needle is less expensive ($325 to $700 for Tuft & Needle; $959 to $2,199 for Avocado).
- Avocado’s top layer is made of natural dunlop latex. This foam from a natural material is one of Avocado’s unique features, and it provides pressure relief and bounce.
- Consumers have the option of adding a pillow-top on top of the first foam layer. With the pillow-top, the mattress is 13″ thick, which is 2″ thicker than the non-pillow-top model.
- The base support layer is comprised of individually wrapped coils. These coils are zoned to provide extra support where you need it most, and they make the mattress extra strong and supportive for sleepers who weigh more.
- The mattress has a 100 percent organic cotton cover.
Tuft & Needle Construction
- Tuft & Needle is comprised of only two layers.
- On top is 3″ of proprietary “Adaptive” foam — a polyurethane-based foam that blends in graphite to absorb heat from the body and a gel polymer to distribute the heat. This firm, bouncy layer helps ensure even cooling.
- The support layer is 7″ of 1.8 lb density poly foam.
- Tuft & Needle has a breathable cover made of a polyester blend.
- Tuft & Needle is all-foam.
- Tuft & Needle has simpler construction.
- Avocado has coils.
- Avocado has an optional pillow-top.
- Avocado uses natural materials.
- Avocado contains latex.
- Both are relatively firm, but Tuft & Needle is a little firmer.
Both are firm, but Avocado has a little more give and will conform a little better to contours.
Motion Transfer Differences
Because both are fairly firm, these aren’t the best at preventing movement from traveling across the mattress. That said, they do an okay job. This is something to consider if you sleep with a partner.
Pick Avocado If …
- You sleep on your side. Avocado conforms better to contours, and if you add the pillow-top it gives a little more softness to the surface.
- You want a mattress that lasts. Avocado uses higher quality materials and contains coils, so it will last longer.
Pick Tuft & Needle If …
- You are on a budget. It’s hard to find a quality mattress that costs less than Tuft & Needle. If price is a concern, you may prefer this all-foam option.
- You want a no-frills mattress. Maybe this will go in a guest bedroom or you’re looking to furnish a short-term rental. If you’re looking for something temporary or that won’t get a lot of use, Tuft & Needle is a great option.
These are both firm mattresses, but otherwise they’re quite different. I hope you’ve learned some useful pieces of information from this comparison post. Please leave any relevant questions about Tuft & Needle or Avocado in the comments.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Zoma Mattress Review – Zoned For Comfort And Support? - November 26, 2019
- 2019 Budget Mattress Showdown! Amazon vs Zinus vs Tuft and Needle vs LinenSpa vs Lucid - November 25, 2019
- Beautyrest Black Online Mattress Review – Luxury Comfort And Support? - November 19, 2019