Those who have had a mattress for a few years might get to a point where the firmness and feel just aren’t working anymore. If a new mattress isn’t in the budget just yet, or the mattress is still in good enough shape that you can’t justify purchasing a whole new one, then what can you do?
A mattress topper is a great way to spruce up an existing bed, and it can add an extra boost of comfort. But you may be wondering, “Which one is best?” We’ve tested tons of different toppers, and we think these are the 10 best mattress toppers in 2022. To find the right mattress topper for your sleep needs, read our full buying guide below!
Best Mattress Topper 2022: Our Top 10 Picks
The best mattress toppers in 2022 are:
- Helix Plush – Best Pillow-Top Mattress Topper
- Saatva – Best Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Casper Comfy – Best Cooling Mattress Topper
- TEMPUR-Topper Supreme – Best Plush Mattress Topper
- Dreamfoam Gel Swirl Memory Foam – Best Budget Mattress Topper
- Parachute Down Mattress Topper – Best Feather Bed
- Tuft & Needle – Best Mattress Topper for Hip Pain
- Lift by Amerisleep – Best Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
- Birch Plush – Best Organic Mattress Topper
- Layla Memory Foam – Best Mattress Topper for Pressure Relief
Best Mattress Toppers of 2022: Video Review
How We Chose Our Products
Our team of sleep specialists tested many mattress toppers currently on the market, using proprietary analysis and hands-on testing to find the best of the best for our readers. When building our roundup for the best mattress toppers of 2022, we paid special attention to cooling abilities, durability, overall feel, and quality of materials.
With our guide, we give you a number of options so you can select a product that not only fits your preferences, but one that is also long-lasting, breathable, and extremely comfortable. We also encourage you to check out our Buyer’s Guide at the bottom of the page. There, we take a deeper dive into all of these attributes so you can make the most informed purchase possible.
Best Pillow-Top Mattress Topper
If you want to give your mattress a luxurious pillow-top look and feel, check out the Helix Plush topper. This topper should soften your mattress by a half point, making it great for sleepers who are only looking for a touch of plushiness to add to their mattress. Overall, this topper creates a nice, plush feel.
Who Is It For?
Stomach sleepers should love that this topper provides just enough softness without sacrificing support.
What Makes the Helix Plush Stand Out?
- It helps sleepers stay cool. This is thanks to the Helix Plush mattress topper’s soft bamboo cover.
- It’s great for allergies. That’s right, this topper is made from hypoallergenic and high-quality materials.
- It’s very durable. Inside each of its 1.5″ pockets sits a layer of soft fiberfill. This is kept in place by baffle box stitching, which lengthens the life of the mattress topper.
Read the full Helix Plush mattress topper review.
The Helix mattress topper adds a touch of plushness and a luxurious pillow-top feel. It's made with hypoallergenic and durable materials.
Best Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Unlike many of the other toppers on this list, the Saatva contains two layers, not just one; the top layer is soft memory foam, and the bottom is a transition foam. Its 3″ height gives the Saatva topper a slow-moving memory foam feel that so many people love.
Who Is It For?
Those looking for a luxury or cooling mattress topper will likely enjoy Saatva’s product. Additionally, back and side sleepers should get the proper amount of support.
What Makes the Saatva Stand Out?
- It comes in three different models. That’s right, it comes in Graphite, Latex, and Foam, so there should be a model for each type of sleeper.
- The topper is great for alleviating pain. Back sleepers should enjoy good lumbar support while their hips sink in just the right amount, and side sleepers should feel nice pressure relief on their shoulders and hips without hitting the actual mattress.
- It sleeps cool. For one of the Saatva topper models, the top layer of memory foam contains graphite which adds some cooling qualities to the topper so it doesn’t trap so much heat.
Read the full Saatva mattress topper review.
The Saatva is a comfortable mattress topper with two layers and is a fantastic match for back sleepers, side sleepers, and larger people.
Best Cooling Mattress Topper
Looking for a mattress topper that can make your bed feel a good deal softer? Look no further than the Casper Comfy. This mattress topper is made from three layers of foam to offer pressure relief and softness. It’s also designed to be cooling, so you won’t have to worry about it making your bed too hot.
Who Is It For?
Sleepers who find their mattress to be too firm and those with pain concerns will really appreciate how much softness this topper adds.
What Makes the Casper Comfy Stand Out?
- It has three layers. Most toppers only have one or two layers.
- It’s designed to sleep cool. It’s made from latex foam and graphite-infused foam, which both sleep cool.
- It’s durable. We expect this topper to last about five years.
Read the full Casper Comfy mattress topper review.
The Casper Comfy mattress topper has three foam layers that combine to create excellent pressure relief. It's also made of latex foam and graphite-infused foam, which helps it sleep cool.
Best Plush Mattress Topper
If you really want to soften your existing mattress, check out the TEMPUR-Topper Supreme. It has a classic, slow-moving feel that memory foam lovers should really enjoy. With a height of 3″, this topper should make a bed feel 2.5 points softer.
Who Is It For?
The TEMPUR-Topper is a great choice for back and side sleepers. Because of its thickness, heavier sleepers should find the support they need as well.
What Makes the TEMPUR-Topper Supreme Stand Out?
- It makes a great online purchase. This topper is made in the USA. It also includes free shipping and a 25-year warranty
- It has excellent motion isolation. This is a good sign for couples. If you’re a light sleeper, you shouldn’t feel your partner’s movements at night.
- It provides a lot of pressure relief. Its 3″ of plush Tempur material is great for those who like to sink inside of their mattress a bit.
Read the full TEMPUR-Topper Supreme review.
With 3" of luxurious Tempur material, the TEMPUR-Topper Supreme will make your existing mattress feel plush and soft. Fans of the classic, slow-moving feel will love this product.
Best Budget Mattress Topper
Dreamfoam Gel Swirl Memory Foam
For those who are looking for an affordable mattress topper, the Dreamfoam Gel Swirl Memory Foam is a great choice; it’s significantly more affordable than the other mattress toppers on this list. While the Dreamfoam might not last the longest, it is a quick way to update a mattress for a value price.
Who Is It For?
There should be the right balance of comfort and support for back sleepers and side sleepers.
What Makes the Dreamfoam Stand Out?
- It provides great pressure relief. The Dreamfoam contains 2″ of memory foam, so back sleepers should feel some extra contouring, while side sleepers should feel much more pressure relief on their shoulders and hips.
- It’s a good cooling topper. A gel swirl runs throughout the topper. This makes it cool to the touch and helps prevent it from trapping too much heat.
- It creates a balanced feel. The Dreamfoam topper should soften your mattress by one point. So, if you sleep on a mattress with an industry firmness of 8/10, then adding the Dreamfoam topper will give the bed more of a medium-firm feel.
Read the full Dreamfoam mattress topper review.
The Dreamfoam is an affordable and comfortable mattress topper that should be a fantastic option for back and side sleepers.
Best Feather Bed
Parachute Down Mattress Topper
The majority of toppers on this list are made of some type of thick foam, but what if someone is looking for a completely different feel? For those who want something fluffy, airy, and cloud-like, the Parachute Down Mattress Topper should be a fantastic choice. It’s 3″ tall, contains white down and feathers, and has a fill power of 550.
Who Is It For?
We like the it for back sleepers who like to feel somewhat enveloped.
What Makes the Parachute Stand Out?
- It’s great for those who sleep hot. While there is little room for airflow in many other toppers, this is not the case with the Parachute. The down and feathers promote airflow throughout the topper so that it does not trap heat.
- It’s durable. Because it features a baffle box construction, this topper should avoid premature wear.
- It’s eco-conscious. This topper is free of harmful chemicals and OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 certified. Additionally, the down and feathers are Responsible Down Standard certified, meaning they are responsibly and ethically sourced.
Read the full Parachute Down Mattress Topper review.
The Parachute Down is a soft, fluffy mattress topper that could be a great match for hot sleepers.
Best Mattress Topper for Hip Pain
Tuft & Needle
If you don’t like to sink into your mattress, you may prefer something with a responsive feel. That’s exactly what you’ll get with the Tuft & Needle mattress topper. Because these materials immediately spring back into place while also providing nice contouring, it’s a great option for those with hip pain.
Who Is It For?
This is a great option for back, side, and combination sleepers who want to cushion their mattress just a bit. The Tuft & Needle topper should soften things by one point.
What Makes the Tuft & Needle Stand Out?
- It sleeps cool. Responsive foam does a better job at dissipating heat, so the Tuft & Needle topper should be great for hot sleepers.
- It’s a great memory foam alternative. For those who don’t appreciate a slow-moving memory foam feel, the Tuft & Needle topper includes bouncier foam that’s good for switching sleeping positions at night.
- It works really well for college dorms. It even makes our roundup for the best mattress toppers for college.
Read the full Tuft & Needle mattress topper review.
The Tuft & Needle mattress topper is a great choice for back sleepers, side sleepers, and those who like a responsive foam feel.
Best Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
Lift by Amerisleep
Thanks to Amerisleep’s HIVE technology, their Lift mattress topper has zoned support. That means the topper feels firmer in some areas and softer in others, making it a fantastic choice for side sleepers.
Who Is It For?
Memory foam lovers, back sleepers, and side sleepers should have a lot to like about the Amerisleep topper.
What Makes the Lift by Amerisleep Stand Out?
- The pressure relief is hard to beat. Side sleepers especially should feel cushioning shoulders and hips, especially with 3″ of foam contributing to the plush feel.
- It sleeps cool. The Amerisleep topper features breathable foam, so you shouldn’t overheat at night.
- We love its cover. The Amerisleep topper has a removable and washable cover. Not only that, but the bottom of the cover features MicroGrip technology, so it easily secures to the top of a mattress.
Read the full Lift by Amerisleep mattress topper review.
The Lift by Amerisleep Comfort Topper has zoned support, so it has a well-balanced feel. This makes it an excellent choice for side sleepers who need both comfort and support.
Best Organic Mattress Topper
Birch Organic Plush
Eco-friendly shoppers will love the next topper on our list, the Birch Organic Plush. This mattress topper is made from organic wool, organic cotton, and natural Talalay latex. A bonus of these eco-friendly materials? They are all naturally cooling! This latex topper has a slightly bouncy, responsive feel, so though it adds some softness, you won’t feel like you’re sinking into it.
Who Is It For?
This topper is best for sleepers who want an eco-friendly topper, hot sleepers, and lightweight sleepers.
What Makes the Parachute Stand Out?
- Its eco-friendly materials. If you’re after an organic topper, it’s one of the most environmentally conscious ones on the market.
- It has some nice bounce. Though some toppers can make you feel like you’re sinking into them, this one has an overall buoyant feel.
- It sleeps cool. All the materials in this topper are breathable, so it won’t trap body heat.
Check out our full Birch Organic Plush mattress topper review.
The Birch mattress topper is made of organic materials that provide natural cooling while making your bed more comfortable.
Best Mattress Topper for Pressure Relief
Layla Memory Foam
If you’re looking to soften up your mattress a bit, you’ll want to consider the Layla Memory Foam topper. This topper is made from a single layer of copper-infused memory foam, which is designed to be both pressure-relieving and cooling. It also helps dampen motion transfer, so you’ll be less likely to feel a partner or pet moving on the opposite side of the bed.
Who Is It For?
Side sleepers and sleepers with pain concerns who need added pressure relief.
What Makes The Layla Stand Out?
- It’s cooling. It has a thin, breathable cover made with Thermo-Gel technology, and cooling copper beads in its memory foam.
- It has securing straps. All four corners have straps to attach to your mattress to prevent slippage.
- It’s soft and pressure-relieving. Any sleeper looking to add some softness to their bed should like this topper.
Read the full Layla Memory Foam mattress topper review.
The Layla Memory Foam mattress topper features cooling copper and heat-dissipating Thermogel, so it should be a good option for hot sleepers.
What Are the Benefits of Mattress Toppers?
A mattress topper is a well-known accessory used by many. But is it really worth the purchase? Let’s break down some of their benefits.
- They can extend the life of your mattress. If you’re currently sleeping on a mattress that feels stiff and uncomfortable, you may not have to purchase a brand new bed! Adding a mattress topper can not only save your mattress, but your bank account too.
- They can affect the overall feel of a bed. If you love memory foam, you can easily add a layer of luxurious, slow-moving comfort. If you prefer a mattress that feels bouncy, you can purchase a topper made out of responsive latex foam.
- They provide excellent pressure relief. This will especially benefit side sleepers who currently rest on a firm mattress. With the help of a thick and plush topper, sleepers can get the much-needed pressure relief along shoulders and hips.
- They can help isolate motion. For couples, this could be a game-changer. If your partner shifts sleeping positions during the night, many toppers will prevent the motion from traveling to your side of the bed.
What Are the Best Mattress Topper Types?
If you’ve spent some time shopping for mattress toppers, you know the options can feel endless. To make things easier, we’ve broken down the six main types of mattress toppers.
With its slow-moving feel, memory foam remains a popular pick for back and side sleepers. This material helps alleviate pressure on shoulders and hips, which is great for people who suffer from joint pain. It also makes mattresses feel softer, so it’s a quick way to adjust the firmness of your current bed.
However, memory foam does have a tendency to trap body heat. If you’re a hot sleeper, make sure your memory foam mattress topper has cooling features. Look for something with an open-celled construction, gel or graphite infusion, and a breathable cover.
Unlike memory foam, polyfoam has a bouncy and responsive feel. Polyfoam costs less to manufacture than other types of foam, so these mattress toppers are typically more affordable. This could be a good option for those on a budget.
If you want a responsive topper that won’t trap heat, look for something made out of latex foam. When you press into this material, it quickly bounces back. This means you can easily move around on top of it, which is great for combination sleepers who change positions in the night. And because you shouldn’t sink inside the foam, you’ll sleep cooler at night.
Down mattress toppers won’t adjust a bed’s overall firmness, but they do create a luxurious feel. These mattress toppers typically have a light and airy quality to them. They feel malleable and soft, but they won’t provide much support. If you want to learn more about this material, read our Parachute Down mattress topper review.
People who suffer from allergies may want to stay away from true down material, because it has a tendency to trap dust mites and pollen. If you really want this luxurious feel, we recommend finding a topper made with down alternative.
Feathers and down often get confused for one another, but they aren’t quite the same materials. Feather mattress toppers have a higher density and feel more supportive.
Wool mattress toppers can cost a bit more than foam toppers, but they have many benefits. First, they regulate temperature well. Wool tends to stay dry in the summer and warm in the winter. Wool toppers are also quite durable, and they give mattresses an extra layer of softness. However, they may not provide the necessary pressure relief for some sleepers.
What to Consider When Buying a Mattress Topper
Not all toppers will work for everyone. When shopping for a new mattress topper, we recommend taking these seven elements into consideration.
A major reason people buy a mattress topper is to update the feel of their mattress. Those who want to slowly sink into the topper should consider something with memory foam and, if they prefer something bouncier, they should think about a topper with good response like a latex mattress. Fans of a fluffier feel might want to take a look at a feather bed or something of that type.
Another reason to look for a mattress topper is to soften or firm up a mattress, but if someone is looking for some additional softness, how much do they want? Those who wish for something very soft should consider a thicker topper (close to 3″), and those who want just a bit of softness should take a look at something closer to 1″ or 1.5″. People who want something to firm up their mattress should consider a firmer latex option.
RELATED: Best Firm Mattress
Mattress topper shoppers should think about their specific sleeping position. For instance, back sleepers should want something with a balance of comfort and support, while side sleepers should look for something on the softer side. Stomach sleepers are generally going to need more support, so consider something that firms up the mattress.
Many people wonder which thickness mattress topper they should get. And this greatly depends on what you need from your topper. If your current mattress feels firm, you may benefit from the extra pressure relief found in a 3″ topper. But if you just want to adjust the overall feel of your mattress, a 1″ or 2″ topper will do the trick.
RELATED: Mattress Pad vs Mattress Topper
When adding a mattress topper to a bed, sleepers want to know if it will make them overheat. When deciding on the right topper, make sure it will prevent one from sleeping hot. For instance, if it’s a memory foam topper, does it contain some cooling infusion or is it ventilated for airflow? Sleepers want their mattress topper to be a comfortable addition to their mattress, but not something that makes them sleep hot.
RELATED: Best Cooling Sheets
When purchasing a mattress topper, shoppers definitely want to know how long it will last, so think about the durability of the materials used in the topper. If it uses a lower-density memory foam, the topper might break down very quickly but, if it uses a high-density memory foam or latex, it could last for a good amount of time.
Mattress toppers range from high-end to affordable. When shopping for a mattress topper, we always recommend people consider their budget. Will a simple 2″ topper do the trick? Or do you need something long-lasting and plush? Thankfully, our list of the best mattress toppers includes something that should suit everyone’s wallet.
RELATED: Best Cheap Mattress Toppers
|Helix Plush||Best Pillow-Top Mattress Topper|
|Saatva||Best Memory Foam Mattress Topper|
|Casper Comfy||Best Cooling Mattress Topper|
|TEMPUR-Topper Supreme||Best Plush Mattress Topper|
|Dreamfoam Gel Swirl Memory Foam||Best Budget Mattress Topper|
|Parachute Down Mattress Topper||Best Feather Bed|
|Tuft & Needle||Best Mattress Topper for Hip Pain|
|Lift by Amerisleep||Best Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers|
|Birch Plush||Best Organic Mattress Topper|
|Layla Memory Foam||Best Mattress Topper for Pressure Relief|
Does a mattress topper really help?
Yes! If you want to significantly soften your mattress or add a plush pillow-top feel, mattress toppers will do the trick. However, if your current mattress sags or sinks, no mattress topper can fully save it. In this case, we recommend upgrading to a new mattress.
What thickness mattress topper should I get?
This depends greatly on what you need from a mattress topper. If you need extra pressure relief, opt for a 3" topper. If you just want to add a bit of cushioning, you can get a 1" or 2" topper.
What is the most comfortable mattress topper?
Like mattresses themselves, toppers are highly subjective. What works for one person may feel uncomfortable to another. But if you want a plush memory foam feel, we suggest the Saatva Graphite. If you want to make your current mattress feel firmer, check out the Lift by Amerisleep Support topper.