If you’ve had your mattress for a few years, you might get to a point where the firmness and feel just aren’t working for you. But if a new mattress isn’t in the budget just yet, or the mattress is still in good enough shape that you can’t justify purchasing a whole new one, then what can you do?
A mattress topper is a great way to spruce up your existing mattress without having to buy a new mattress. You can add a topper to give you that pressure relief or contouring you have been missing.
There are many quality mattress toppers out there that could be the perfect addition to your mattress. Out of the toppers I have reviewed, there are five that really stand out among the rest.
Which mattress topper is the one for you? Read on for my full mattress topper buying guide.
Memory Foam For Hot Sleepers
The Layla mattress topper features cooling copper and heat-dissipating Thermogel. It should be a good option for hot sleepers.
The Avocado is a durable latex mattress topper that is a good choice for those who want something organic and eco-friendly.
Best Feather Bed
Parachute Down Feather Bed
The Parachute Down Feather Bed is a great choice for those who want a fluffy, airy topper.
The Dreamfoam is an affordable and comfortable mattress topper. It is a great option for back and side sleepers.
Best For Heavy People
The Saatva is a comfortable mattress topper with two layers. It is a great match for back sleepers, side sleepers, and larger people.
Top Picks Explained
If you think a mattress topper could work for you, take a look at my top picks for mattress toppers. There is no one mattress topper for everyone, so read on to find the right fit for your sleeping preferences.
Memory Foam For Hot Sleepers
One of the main drawbacks of memory foam mattresses is that they can make you heat up while you sleep. Memory foam toppers have this same problem.
If you want a memory foam mattress topper that does not trap heat, take a look at the Layla Mattress Topper. It features copper-infused memory foam and a cover infused with Thermogel. Copper helps with heat dissipation and the Thermogel is cool to the touch. You shouldn’t be sleeping too hot on the Layla memory foam mattress topper.
In addition, copper is antimicrobial. This means it helps fight the growth of bacteria and mildew. It should keep your topper clean for years to come.
Finally, the Layla adds some serious comfort and pressure relief to a mattress. It is 2″ of very soft memory foam, so when you’re on your back, you should feel some great contouring. When you are on your side, you should feel much less pressure on your shoulders and hips.
What Makes The Layla Stand Out?
- It features copper-infused memory foam and a Thermogel-infused cover. Both should help with cooling.
- The topper features four anchor straps. These keep the Layla secured to the mattress.
- Copper is antimicrobial and will prevent bacteria and mildew growth.
- The Layla should be a great match for back sleepers and side sleepers.
Read the full Layla mattress topper review.
When searching for a mattress topper, it’s always important to consider durability. Basically, will your mattress topper break down in a year or will it last for a good amount of time?
If you want a topper that will last, the Avocado is a great option. It features 2″ of Dunlop latex, a very durable material. Unlike some memory foam toppers, the Avocado shouldn’t sag.
Latex also offers naturally cooling properties. In addition, Avocado’s Dunlop latex is ventilated to promote airflow. When you add that together with the breathable cover and moisture-wicking wool layer, the Avocado shouldn’t be trapping heat.
The Avocado is also a great option if you want a green, eco-friendly mattress topper. The Dunlop latex is all-natural and free of harmful chemicals. The mattress topper is a good way to add a clean, organic layer to your mattress.
Back sleepers should also find the Avocado to be a good match. It doesn’t add too much softness to the mattress, but it does add a good amount of contouring. Back sleepers should feel that nice balance of comfort and support on the Avocado mattress topper.
What Makes The Avocado Stand Out?
- The Avocado features Dunlop latex, a very durable material. This should be a good, long-term investment.
- The topper contains many features that make it a cooler-sleeping option.
- The Dunlop latex is all-natural, responsibly sourced, and eco-friendly.
- The Avocado is a good choice for back sleepers.
Read the full Avocado mattress topper review.
Best Feather Bed
Parachute Down Feather Bed
The majority of toppers on this list are made of some type of thick foam. But what if you are looking for a completely different feel?
If you want something fluffy, airy, and cloud-like, the Parachute Down Feather Bed is right up your alley. It is 3″ tall and contains white down and feathers with a fill power of 550. It adds that pillow-top look and feel to the top of the mattress.
The Parachute is also a great option for hot sleepers. While there is little room for airflow in many other toppers, this is not the case with the Parachute. The down and feathers promote airflow throughout the topper so that it does not trap heat.
While the mattress topper doesn’t soften the mattress too much, it should be a good match for back sleepers who want to feel somewhat enveloped. It feels like you are sleeping on a giant pillow. If this is what you are looking for, take a look at the Parachute.
What Makes The Parachute Stand Out?
- It adds a fluffy, pillow-top look and feel to your mattress.
- The down and feathers allow for a good amount of airflow.
- The Parachute is a good option for back sleepers who like a fluffy feel.
Read the full Parachute topper review.
If you are looking for an affordable mattress topper, the Dreamfoam is a great choice. Priced under $70 for a Queen-size, it is much more affordable than the other mattress toppers on this list.
The Dreamfoam contains 2″ of memory foam that adds some serious pressure relief and comfort to the mattress. Back sleepers should feel some extra contouring, while side sleepers should feel much more pressure relief on their shoulders and hips.
In addition, there is a gel swirl that runs throughout the topper. This makes the topper cool to the touch and helps prevent it from trapping too much heat. It is not as cool as the Layla, but the Dreamfoam does take steps to keep you from sleeping too hot.
While the Dreamfoam might not last the longest, it is a quick way to update your mattress for a value price.
What Makes The Dreamfoam Stand Out?
- It is a great choice for those who want something more affordable.
- The Dreamfoam is very soft and adds real comfort to the mattress.
- The mattress topper should be a good match for back and side sleepers.
Read the full Dreamfoam mattress topper review.
Best For Heavy People
Unlike many of the other toppers on this list, the Saatva contains two layers, not just one. The top layer is soft memory foam, and the bottom is a transition foam.
This makes the topper a good option for heavier-weight sleepers. Heavier people often have issues bottoming out on softer mattress toppers. However, the transition layer on this topper eases you down to the mattress.
The dual layers also make the Saatva a good choice for back sleepers and side sleepers. Back sleepers should enjoy good lumbar support while their hips sink in just the right amount. Side sleepers should feel nice pressure relief on their shoulders and hips without hitting the actual mattress.
The top layer of memory foam also contains graphite. This adds some cooling qualities to the topper so it doesn’t trap so much heat. You shouldn’t be sleeping too hot on the Saatva.
What Makes The Saatva Stand Out?
- The topper features two layers instead of one.
- The Saatva should be a good choice for larger people.
- Back sleepers and side sleepers should find the Saatva to be a great match.
- The graphite makes it so the topper doesn’t sleep too hot.
Read the full Saatva mattress topper review.
What Should You Consider When Buying A Mattress Topper?
If you are looking for a mattress topper, what should you be looking for? Well, there are a few things you should definitely think about:
- Feel. A major reason people buy a mattress topper is to update the feel of their mattress. If you want to slowly sink into the topper, consider something with memory foam. If you prefer something bouncier, think about a mattress topper with latex or a foam topper with latex-like properties. Fans of a fluffier feel might want to take a look at a feather bed.
- Firmness. Another reason to look for a mattress topper is to soften or firm up your mattress. If you are looking for some more softness, how much do you want? If you want something very soft, consider a thicker topper (close to 3″). If you want just a bit of softness, take a look at something closer to 1″ or 1.5″. If you want something to firm up your mattress, consider a firmer latex option.
- Durability. When purchasing a mattress topper, you definitely want to know how long it will last. Think about the durability of the materials used in the topper. If it uses a lower density memory foam, the topper might break down very quickly. On the other hand, if it uses a high-density memory foam or latex, it could last for a good amount of time.
- Your sleeping position. You should also think about your specific sleeping position. If you are a back sleeper, you want something with a balance of comfort and support. Side sleepers should look for something on the softer side. Stomach sleepers are going to need more support, so consider something that firms up the mattress.
- Warmth. When you add a mattress topper to your bed, you want to know if it will make you overheat. When deciding on the right topper, make sure it will prevent you from sleeping hot. For instance, if it’s a memory foam topper, does it contain some cooling infusion? Is it ventilated for airflow? You want your mattress topper to be a comfortable addition to your mattress, but not something that makes you sleep hot.
If you keep this information in mind, it should be easy to find the right mattress topper for you.
Just make sure to think about what firmness and feel you are looking for, and keep your sleeping position and sleeping temperature in mind. Then, place your topper on the mattress and enjoy a much better night of sleep.
Featured image: ST Design Studio/Shutterstock
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- Late Mornings Sateen Duvet Cover Review – Comfy And Eco-Friendly? - November 5, 2019
- Luxome Cooling Weighted Blanket Review – Hot Or Cold? - November 1, 2019
- Innerspring Vs Memory Foam Mattresses – The Ultimate Showdown - October 29, 2019