There are many reasons you might want to add a latex mattress topper to your mattress.
You could want to make your mattress bouncier. You might want to make your mattress sleep cooler. Or maybe you are just sick of potentially harmful chemicals in your mattress.
No matter why you’re looking at a latex mattress topper, the Birch Plush Pillow Top should be on your list. It contains all-natural materials, is designed to sleep cool, and does not contain harmful chemicals.
The topper is made by Helix and is designed as a plush addition to the Birch mattress, but you really can use it on any mattress you like. I was excited to see if the Birch topper would add that plush, pillow-top feel to my mattress.
You Might Like The Birch If …
- You are a lightweight sleeper. If you are a lighter person, you should find the Birch to be a good fit in all three sleeping positions. When you’re on your back, the Birch should soften a firmer mattress so your hips sink in. When you’re on your side, the latex and plush wool should relieve pressure on your shoulders and hips. Lighter stomach sleepers shouldn’t feel their hips dipping into the mattress.
- You want to add a pillow top to your mattress. The Birch has a plush, pillow-top feel. If you like the feeling of a pillow-top but don’t want to buy a whole new mattress, the Birch is a great option. You can place the Birch on any type of mattress and give it a bit of that pillow-top feel.
- You want an eco-friendly topper. The Birch contains only all-natural materials. It features organic cotton, wool, and Talalay latex. These are all naturally and sustainably sourced materials that are free of harmful chemicals.
- You are a hot sleeper. A major benefit of latex is that it sleeps cooler than most memory foam. You won’t sink into the Birch too far, so you shouldn’t feel like the topper is trapping your heat. Also, the wool keeps the top of the Birch breathable and helps dissipate heat. You shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Birch.
You Might Not Like The Birch If …
- You are a heavier side sleeper. If you are a larger person, you might not feel the best pressure relief on the Birch. Larger people should press pretty far into the topper and could feel some pressure on their shoulders and hips. Lighter people will mostly feel plush comfort when they are on their side.
- You want to sink into your topper. For those of you who prefer to sink into your topper, the Birch might not be the best choice. It is a bouncier, firmer topper that won’t let you sink in too far. If you like to slowly sink into your topper or mattress, consider something with memory foam.
- You are looking for an affordable topper. The Birch contains premium, all-natural materials. Wool and latex are not easy to source, and that is reflected in the price. The Birch is a good value when you consider these materials. However, at $400 for a Queen-size, it might be too pricey for some. There are more affordable mattress toppers out there.
RELATED: Best Mattress Topper
Construction And Options
- The Birch is 3″ thick.
- The cover is made of breathable, organic cotton.
- Below the cover, there is a layer of durable Birch wool. It is there to add some plushness, regulate temperature, and act as a flame retardant.
- The core of the pillow-top is a layer of Talalay latex. It’s bouncy, durable, and naturally sourced.
- You can choose from the following sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King.
- The Birch is made in the USA.
When I received the Birch at my house, I immediately opened it up and put it on my mattress. With a memory foam mattress topper, I would normally need to wait 24 to 48 hours for it to expand. However, since the Birch contains latex, it is ready to be used right away.
Also, with memory foam mattress toppers, you usually get a chemical smell when you first open up the topper. The Birch has no such chemical smell. Instead, it has more of an earthy, wool smell.
I wanted to test out the firmness of the Birch plush pillow-top. Just how much will it soften a firmer mattress?
I placed the Birch on top of a mattress with a firmness of about 9/10. It brought the firmness of the mattress down to 8/10. The Birch softens the mattress by about one point.
How did it make me feel in different sleeping positions?
- When I lie on my back on the Birch, it is a good match for me. The mattress below was actually too firm for me when I was back sleeping. The Birch softens the mattress enough for my hips to sink in a fair amount. At the same time, the rest of the topper stays flat and supportive.
- While side sleeping, I’m only feeling a bit more pressure relief than I felt on the mattress below. The Birch is softening the mattress so I feel less pressure on my shoulders and hips. I am larger; if you are a lighter person, you could feel more of the plush wool on top. Because of this, it could be a better match for lighter side sleepers.
- Moving to my stomach, the Birch works for me. It is not softening the mattress enough to rob me of the support I need on my hips. I feel well-supported while stomach sleeping on the Birch.
In terms of feel, the wool gives the topper a layer of plushness, while the latex gives it some bounce. Overall, it has a soft but responsive feel. It is very easy to move around on the Birch.
The Birch also slept quite cool for me. Latex is a naturally cooling material, and the wool promotes airflow through the top of the Birch. Also, I don’t sink in too far, and I don’t feel like the topper is trapping my heat. I am usually a hot sleeper, and I can say I did not sleep too hot on the Birch.
The Birch is a great option for lightweight sleepers, hot sleepers, and those who want to add a pillow-top to their mattress.
Heavier side sleepers and those looking for a more affordable mattress topper might want to look elsewhere.
The Birch topper comes with a 100-night sleep trial, a 1-year warranty, and free shipping.
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- Honeybird Weighted Blanket Review – Amazing Weight Distribution? - August 22, 2019
- Best Cooling Mattress Toppers – Which Is Best For You? - August 20, 2019
- TEMPUR-Topper Supreme Review – The Best Pressure Relief? - August 14, 2019