Sleeping hot is the worst. Many people wake up feeling sweaty, clammy, and dehydrated because their bedding isn’t breathable. At the same time, that doesn’t always mean you have to buy a whole new mattress. A cooling mattress topper could be the easy solution you’re looking for. In our below list of the best cooling mattress toppers, we’ve catered to a variety of sleepers, keeping several factors in mind such as a sleep preferences, position, and feel.
Our Top Picks
- Helix Plush – Editor’s Pick
- Saatva – Best Plush Cooling Mattress Topper
- Casper – Best Cooling Mattress Topper for Back Sleepers
- Avocado Organic Latex – Best Foam Cooling Mattress Topper
- Tuft & Needle – Best Responsive Cooling Mattress Topper
- Dreamfoam Gel Swirl – Best Cooling Gel Mattress Topper
- ViscoSoft Select High-Density – Best Cooling Pressure Relief
- Amerisleep Comfort Lift – Best Cooling Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
- Parachute Feather Bed – Best Cooling Feather Bed
- Layla Memory Foam – Best Cooling Mattress Topper for Back Pain
If you sleep on your stomach, you’ll need a firm mattress that promotes the proper spinal alignment. If you relax on a soft surface that’s too soft, you may develop lower back pain over time. The Helix Plus mattress topper softens mattresses by half a point, which won’t change the firmness by a lot, but will still result in a plush pillow-top feel.
What Makes the Helix Plush Stand Out?
- We’ve chosen it as one of the best cheap mattress toppers.
- The bamboo cover is thin, breathable, and hypoallergenic.
- Baffle box stitching keeps the 1.5″ pockets of fiberfill in place, so you can enjoy its luxurious comfort for many years.
Read our full Helix Plush mattress topper review.
The Helix mattress topper adds a touch of plushness and a luxurious pillow top feel. It's made with hypoallergenic and durable materials. Click the link below for the best deal!
Best Plush Cooling Mattress Topper
The Saatva mattress topper lets sleepers sink into 3″ of plush memory foam comfort. But don’t worry about sleeping hot. There’s a graphite infusion running throughout, so it helps dissipate heat. And because the topper is so thick, it should soften your bed by 2.5 points.
What Makes the Saatva Stand Out?
- If you’re a side sleeper, you’ll get pressure relief along the shoulders and hips.
- Back sleepers will also feel some nice body-contouring around the hips.
- Four straps keep the topper secured to the sides of the bed.
Read our full Saatva mattress topper review.
The Saatva mattress topper is a comfortable option for back sleepers, side sleepers, and hot sleepers. Save 10% when you spend $200 or more.
Best Cooling Mattress Topper for Back Sleepers
Unlike many toppers on the market with one or two comfort layers, the Casper has three foam layers. The first one, comprised of an alt-latex foam, creates excellent body-contouring. The second layer consists of graphite-infused latex foam. Graphite does a great job at dissipating heat, so sleepers should feel cool all night long. Finally, Casper has a base layer of memory foam for added support, which should appeal to back sleepers.
What Makes the Casper Stand Out?
- Because the three comfort layers provide both comfort and support, the Casper topper can help alleviate back pain.
- It’s also a great mattress topper for side sleepers.
- To make things even cooler, Casper’s foams have tiny pores throughout that promote breathability and airflow.
Read our full Casper mattress topper review.
The Casper mattress topper has three comfort layers that provide excellent pressure relief. The graphite-infused foam layer helps keep sleepers cool all night long. Click the button below for the best deals on the Casper mattress topper.
Best Foam Cooling Mattress Topper
Avocado Organic Latex
When it comes to mattress toppers, latex foam is a truly dynamic material. It’s cooling, environmentally friendly, and responsive. So its use in the Avocado mattress topper should appeal to back sleepers in search of support, in addition to anyone who tends to sleep hot.
What Makes the Avocado Organic Latex Stand Out?
- The foam is made from Talalay latex, a durable material that shouldn’t sag like memory foam often does.
- You can get the Avocado as either a Firm or a Plush model.
- To further help with cooling, there’s a layer of organic wool surrounding the latex that’s designed to wick away moisture.
Read our full Avocado Organic Latex mattress topper review.
The Avocado is an all-natural mattress topper that is a good option for those who want something comfortable and eco-friendly.
Best Responsive Cooling Mattress Topper
Tuft & Needle
If you don’t want to sink into your mattress topper, you’ll love the Tuft & Needle. It features a proprietary responsive foam that keeps the bed cool, and provides wonderful pressure relief. It’s also easy to move around on, making it a great choice for combination sleepers.
What Makes the Tuft & Needle Stand Out?
- When relaxing on your back, you’ll notice some nice body-contouring around your hips.
- It’s also a good match for side sleepers because its soft foam helps alleviate pressure on pain points.
- Because it’s a budget mattress topper, we named it one of the best toppers for college dorm beds.
Read our full Tuft & Needle mattress topper review.
The Tuft & Needle mattress topper is a great choice for back sleepers, side sleepers, and those who like a responsive foam feel. Click the button to get up to 15% off.
Best Cooling Gel Mattress Topper
Dreamfoam Gel Swirl
This 2″ topper is made out of gel-infused foam, a material that’s designed to dissipate heat and promote breathability. It should soften your mattress by one point, so it still provides nice pressure relief and comfort.
What Makes the Dreamfoam Gel Swirl Stand Out?
- When lying on your side, you’ll sink in slightly and experience that classic, slow-moving memory foam feel.
- Back sleepers should also get some nice contouring at the hips.
- It’s a great value mattress topper that’s budget-friendly.
Read our full Dreamfoam Gel Swirl mattress topper review.
The Dreamfoam Gel Swirl is a soft memory foam mattress topper. It is a great fit for back and side sleepers. Click the link for the best price on this topper!
Best Cooling Pressure Relief
ViscoSoft Select High-Density
The ViscoSoft really shines because of its fantastic pressure relief. It contains 3″ or 4″ of high-density memory foam that relieves almost all pressure on the shoulders and hips. Side sleepers of many sizes are going to like this topper. I also found the ViscoSoft to be a good match for back-sleeping. I sank into the topper and felt it taking the shape of my body, in addition to feeling good support on my lumbar area.
What Makes The ViscoSoft Select High-Density Stand Out?
- The thick, high-density topper should be a good match for heavier sleepers.
- The high-density memory foam makes it a durable topper.
- For cooling, the topper contains ventilated memory foam with an infusion of gel. There’s also a cover with a bamboo/rayon blend that’s cool to the touch.
Read our full ViscoSoft Select High-Density mattress topper review.
The ViscoSoft Select High-Density Mattress Topper is a great option for hot sleepers who want some extra pressure relief. Click the button for the best deal on ViscoSoft.
Best Cooling Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
Amerisleep Comfort Lift
Side sleepers should find a lot to love in the HIVE technology of Amerisleep’s Comfort Lift mattress topper. Equipped with zoned support, this 3″ topper feels firmer in some areas and softer in others, meaning there’s a lot of dynamic pressure relief along the shoulders and hips. MicroGrip technology lines the underside of the cover (which you can also remove and wash), allowing it to adhere easily to the top of a mattress for a secure fit.
What Makes the Amerisleep Comfort Lift Stand Out?
- The Comfort Lift topper makes mattresses softer by about two points. So if you sleep on a firm mattress, the topper should make it feel like a Medium Firm (i.e. a 6.5/10 on the firmness scale).
- There’s also a Support Lift topper available that makes the mattress firmer instead of softer.
- Cooling features include a breathable foam to prevent overheating.
Read our full Amerisleep Comfort Lift mattress topper review.
The Amerisleep Lift Mattress topper has many cooling features and creates a great balance of comfort and support. It's an easy to way to add an extra layer of softness to your current bed. Click the link below to save 10% on your purchase!
Best Cooling Feather Bed
Parachute Down Feather Bed
Foam toppers aren’t for everyone. What if, instead of something thick and bulky, someone prefers a topper that’s light and airy? The Parachute Down Feather Bed could be a great choice for these folks. It features a 100% cotton shell with a baffle-box design that allows the 550 fill power down fill to fully expand, creating a very fluffy almost pillow-top feel.
What Makes the Parachute Down Stand Out?
- The feather bed is the most breathable option on this list because there’s so much room for airflow.
- It contains high-quality materials such as cambric cotton and responsibly sourced down.
- It can add a pillow-top feel to a mattress.
Read our full Parachute Down mattress topper review.
The Parachute Down Feather Bed is a soft, fluffy mattress topper that could be a great match for hot sleepers.
Best Cooling Mattress Topper for Back Pain
Layla Memory Foam
The Layla mattress topper is made with a memory foam that conforms to the curves of the body and fills in the lumbar region. This makes it a great option for back sleepers and anyone who struggles with back pain. Despite being made of memory foam (typically a heat-trapping material), the topper sleeps cool, thanks to some added technology.
What Makes the Layla Memory Foam Stand Out?
- The topper has a very soft feel.
- Its copper gel beads are designed to help dissipate heat, plus the cover contains temperature-regulating Thermogel.
- Copper is antimicrobial, which should keep the topper free of bacteria and mold for a good amount of time.
Read our full Layla Memory Foam mattress topper review.
The Layla is a great option for hot sleepers who want a memory foam feel.
What Are the Benefits of Cooling Mattress Toppers?
- They can help the top of your bed feel nice and cool all night long.
- They can extend the lifespan of a mattress, assisting with temperature regulation, softness, and pressure relief without you having to shell out hundreds of dollars for a brand-new mattress.
- Many toppers have soft and thin covers that wick away moisture.
What’s the Best Type of Cooling Mattress Topper?
Sifting through all of the different bedding products can feel like a chore. To make things easier, we’ve outlined the different types of cooling mattress toppers. Like pillows and beds, mattress toppers are highly subjective. Different materials will work better for some sleepers more than others.
Infused Memory Foam
Because of its thick and dense construction, memory foam has garnered a reputation for sleeping hot. If you want to enjoy the slow-moving feel, but worry about overheating, make sure your memory foam topper has an infusion running throughout. These are the most popular types:
- Gel: Gel helps pull heat away from the body, so it’s especially great for cooling mattress toppers. Both the ViscoSoft and Dreamfoam toppers have gel inside their memory foam.
- Copper: Like gel, copper helps dissipate heat and promote breathability. The Layla mattress topper has tiny copper gel beads inside the foam to prevent sleepers from waking up feeling clammy and sweaty. As an added bonus, Layla’s copper gel beads also help kill bacteria!
- Graphite: This material acts as a cooling agent, which is especially beneficial inside a thick memory foam comfort layer. If you’re looking for something infused with graphite, check out the Saatva mattress topper.
Because of its responsive feel, latex doesn’t trap heat as easily as memory foam does. It’s also a more durable material. And if you want to stay away from harsh chemicals, you can easily purchase a topper made with all-natural latex.
Polyfoam doesn’t last as long as latex or memory foam, but it costs a fraction of the price. If you’re hoping to find a budget-friendly topper, look for one with a polyfoam comfort layer and moisture-wicking cover.
Open-Celled Memory Foam
Open-celled memory foam is more porous, which allows for better airflow. This material won’t keep body heat inside the topper as easily.
What Else to Consider When Buying a Cooling Mattress Topper
- Feel: When you lie down on a mattress, do you like to sink inside the comfort layers or relax on top of the bed? If so, memory foam has that quicksand-type of feeling and provides plenty of body-contouring. If you want something bouncier and more responsive, look for a latex topper.
- Firmness: On our firmness scale, 6.5/10 is considered medium-firm. If your current bed feels more like 8/10, you may need some extra plushness. In that case, look for a topper that will soften your bed by 1–2 points. That way, you’ll get all of the pressure relief your joints need.
- Sleeping Position: Back sleepers typically want a bed that feels medium-firm. Side sleepers will want some extra softness to ease pain along shoulders. Stomach sleepers, on the other hand, should sleep on an extremely firm surface. That way, their hips won’t dip into the layers and cause the back to get out of alignment.
- Thickness: Most mattress toppers come in either 2″ or 3″ thicknesses. If you’re a heavier person, or just need some extra relief along pressure points, you could benefit from a 3″ topper. Lightweight sleepers should get all of the comfort they need from a 2″ topper.
- Construction: It’s also beneficial to examine the topper’s construction. If it includes memory foam, check to see if it’s open-celled or porous. This will allow for greater airflow, which will keep you feeling cool. Thin, cotton covers also help alleviate heat buildup. If a topper has a thick and heavy cover, it can be extremely difficult to stay cool at night.
- Materials: Memory foam is generally known to sleep hotter than latex foam, and feather beds are more breathable than most foam toppers. There are extra features that can increase the cooling quality of any material, but it’s important to first see what the base materials are.
- Durability: Some materials, like polyfoam, don’t have a long lifespan. Latex and high-density memory foam, on the other hand, last much longer.
- Budget: You’ll find plenty of luxurious and high-end models out there, but it’s not completely necessary to drain your wallet. Many cooling toppers provide fantastic pressure relief at a low price point.
If you’re hoping to spruce up your current mattress and help it feel cooler, these toppers will do the trick. Need even more ideas? Take a look at our list of the best mattress toppers.
|Helix Plush||Editor’s Pick|
|Saatva||Best Plush Cooling Mattress Topper|
|Casper||Best Cooling Mattress Topper for Back Sleepers|
|Avocado Organic Latex||Best Foam Cooling Mattress Topper|
|Tuft & Needle||Best Responsive Cooling Mattress Topper|
|Dreamfoam Gel Swirl||Best Cooling Gel Mattress Topper|
|ViscoSoft Select High-Density||Best Cooling Pressure Relief|
|Amerisleep Comfort Lift||Best Cooling Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers|
|Parachute Down Feather Bed||Best Cooling Feather Bed|
|Layla Memory Foam||Best Cooling Mattress Topper for Back Pain|
What is the best mattress topper to keep you cool?
There are so many great cooling mattress toppers. Deciding which one to purchase is a highly personal decision. If you're looking for something plush and luxurious, we recommend the Saatva. If you're on a budget, check out the Dreamfoam. Need some additional pressure relief? ViscoSoft will definitely deliver.
Do cooling mattress toppers really work?
Yes! Especially if they're made out of latex or infused memory foam. Look for something that has a breathable construction and lightweight cover.
What are the best sheets to keep you cool?
If you sleep hot at night, you'll want to find sheets that are thin and breathable. Cotton, tencel, and linen sheets are great picks.