If you sleep by yourself, it is not too difficult to find the right mattress. All you have to do is find a mattress that fits your sleeping preferences. Easy, right?
However, what if you sleep with a partner? Well, that’s a different story. Now, you have to choose a mattress that fits the preferences of two sleepers. That is not so easy.
Fear not. If you are in the market for a mattress for couples, there are seven mattresses that really stand out among the rest. Which is best for you and your partner? Read on for my full round-up.
Best for Varied Sleeping Positions
Casper has a zoned construction, making it a great fit for all sleeping positions. This is great for couples with different weights and body compositions, as well as preferences.
The Helix is a great mattress for couples who want to customize each side to fit their needs.
The Saatva Solaire is an adjustable air bed with 50 different firmness settings. Each side is adjustable, making it a great choice for couples.
Memory Foam Hybrid
The GhostBed Flex is a hybrid mattress that is a great fit for all three sleeping positions.
Best Motion Isolation
The Layla is a flippable mattress that features great motion isolation and pressure relief.
COMFORTABLE AND SUPPORTIVE
The Bear Hybrid is an excellent choice for couples with different sleeping preferences.
Luxury Memory Foam
Loom And Leaf
Loom And Leaf
The Loom & Leaf is a luxury memory foam mattress that should be great for couples who sleep on their back and side.
Top Picks Compared
Take a look at my top picks for couples mattresses. Out of all the mattresses I have reviewed, these six are the best for couples.
Best for Varied Sleeping Positions
Casper features a zoned construction. This means it will be firmer and more supportive when sleeping on your back or stomach. It will be softer when sleeping on your side. Because of the nature of this zoned construction, Casper is a great fit for all sleeping positions. This is great for couples who have different tastes or who perhaps sleep in different positions at night.
What Makes The Casper Stand Out?
- The mattress features a zoned construction, making it both supportive and pressure-relieving at the same time. This is great for couples who sleep in different positions at night or who just have different preferences.
- The mattress is very comfortable no matter what position you sleep in at night.
- The Casper is a great value. It should last you a long time and it has some extra touches that other mattresses in its price range simply do not have.
Read the full Casper mattress review.
Casper is a great value that is also a great fit for all three sleeping positions. You can get 10% Off a Casper mattress simply by clicking the link below.
The Helix mattress is unique in that the company in that you can customize your mattress to meet your needs. You take a quiz regarding your sleep preferences and then Helix sends you a mattress to fit you.
The mattress is great for couples because you and your partner can each customize your side of the mattress. If you each take the quiz, you will receive a mattress where each side is made to fit each partner.
However, unlike the Solaire, you can’t customize the mattress once it arrives. You can’t adjust the mattress after it is in your bedroom. This isn’t necessarily a drawback, but it is something to note.
The Helix also features nice motion isolation. Most of the customized versions contain memory foam in the first layer and the split design also cuts down on motion transfer.
What Makes The Helix Stand Out?
- By taking a sleep quiz, you can customize the mattress to match your sleeping preferences.
- Helix will customize each side of the mattress based on each partner’s needs.
- The coils on the Helix mattresses promote airflow. You shouldn’t be sleeping cool on the Helix.
Read the full Helix mattress review
Helix provides customizable mattresses that can be a great fit for any type of sleeper. You can get $75 off a Helix mattress by clicking the link below and using code CLARITY75 at checkout or $125 off a mattress plus one other product with code CLARITY125 at checkout.
The Saatva Solaire mattress is an air bed with adjustable firmness. Using a remote control, you can choose from one of 50 settings. The mattress will then inflate or deflate and help give you the exact mix of comfort and support you desire.
The Solaire is also a great match for couples. This mattress is actually split so each side is adjustable. With this design, each partner can select the firmness that matches their sleeping position. Do you sleep on your stomach, but your partner sleeps on their side. You can set your side to firm and they can set theirs to soft.
Also, this split design should also help deal with motion transfer. You shouldn’t see as much motion transfer from one side of the mattress to the other. Because of this, you and your partner shouldn’t disturb each other when you move around at night.
What Makes The Solaire Stand Out?
- The Solaire features adjustable firmness. You can select from one of 50 firmness settings.
- The Solaire is split so that each side is adjustable. Each partner can select their desired firmness.
- The split design should also help the Solaire cut down on motion transfer.
- The Solaire features a high-end design. If you are looking for a luxury look and feel, this could be right for you.
- The mattress also works with an adjustable bed. It fits perfectly on the Saatva Lineal.
Read the full Solaire mattress review
The Saatva Solaire is a very comfortable mattress with adjustable firmness. It is a great fit for light- and medium-weight people of any sleeping position.
Memory Foam Hybrid
The GhostBed Flex is a hybrid mattress that features high-grade pocketed coils and premium memory foam. This design makes it a good fit for all three sleeping positions. The mattress’ balance of comfort and support should allow each partner to sleep in any position.
Also, the memory foam on top is quite soft and should handle motion transfer very well. During my motion isolation tests, I saw little disturbance and motion transfer on the GhostBed Flex. You shouldn’t feel your partner moving around at night.
Finally, the hybrid construction ensures that the GhostBed Flex has solid edge support. This means you are your partner should be able to utilize the whole mattress, all the way to the edge. Sitting or lying near the edge, you should feel secure.
What Makes The Flex Stand Out?
- The Flex features a great balance of comfort and support. It should be a great match for any sleeping position.
- The mattress cuts down on motion transfer so you shouldn’t feel your partner moving around on their side of the bed.
- The coils allow for a good amount of airflow. This should be a breathable mattress and a good match for hot sleepers.
Read the full GhostBed Flex mattress review
The GhostBed Flex is a hybrid mattress with a great balance of comfort and support. Back sleepers and side sleepers should find what they need on the GhostBed Flex.
Best Motion Isolation
The Layla is a very interesting mattress in that it is flippable. One side is firm and supportive while the other side is soft and comfortable. You basically have two firmness options in one mattress.
Even though it is flippable, you and your partner have to sleep on the same side. I believe most people will prefer the soft side. It is very comfortable and features great pressure relief. Because of this, the Layla should be a great match for couples who are both side sleepers. They should feel little pressure on their shoulders and hips.
In addition, the Layla handles motion transfer the best out of these six mattresses. The soft memory foam absorbs motion so that you should see almost no motion transfer on the Layla.
What Makes The Layla Stand Out?
- The Layla is one of the most comfortable mattresses I have reviewed.
- The mattress is flippable so you can choose from a soft side and a firm side.
- The Layla handles motion transfer very well so you shouldn’t feel your partner’s movements on your side of the bed.
- The mattress features copper-infused memory foam. The copper is antimicrobial and also helps with cooling.
- The Layla relieves pressure very well and should be a great match for side sleepers.
Read the full Layla mattress review
Layla is an innovative mattress that happens to be one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on. You can get $110 off the Layla mattress by clicking the link below and then using code MCLARITY.
COMFORTABLE AND SUPPORTIVE
The Bear Hybrid was made specifically to be comfortable and supportive at the same time. The mattress performed very well on our pressure map tests because of the premium foams that they use. The pocketed coils can support people of really any weight. It’s a great fit no matter what sleeping position you prefer.
The mattress is great for couples with different preferences. There is also limited motion transfer, meaning you won’t really feel your partner moving around the bed.
What Makes The Bear Hybrid Stand Out?
- The mattress is a great balance of comfort and support. It has great pressure relief and can support people of any weight.
- The mattress is a good fit for all three sleeping positions, making it great for couples with different sleeping preferences.
- The mattress will not sleep hot because of its breathable foams and celliant cover.
Read the full Bear Hybrid mattress review
The Bear Hybrid has a great balance of comfort and support. It is a great match for back and side sleepers. You can get $225 off the Bear mattress by clicking the link below and using code CLARITY225 at checkout.
Luxury Memory Foam
Loom And Leaf
The Loom & Leaf is a luxury mattress with an upscale look and feel. If you are looking for that luxury, hotel mattress experience, the Loom & Leaf could be a good choice.
The mattress features high-density memory foams that are great with contouring. Back sleepers should feel the mattress conform to the curves of their body.
Also, the memory foam relieves pressure on the shoulders and hips. The mattress does feel firm at first, but you slowly sink in and feel that pressure disappear. Couples who are back or side sleepers should definitely check out the Loom & Leaf.
This high-density memory is also great with motion transfer. I saw almost no motion transfer when I tested out the Loom & Leaf. If you sleep with a partner, you shouldn’t feel their movements on your side of the bed.
What Makes The Loom & Leaf Stand Out?
- The Loom & Leaf has a luxury look and feel.
- The mattress contains many features that are designed to help keep you cool at night.
- The high-density memory foam is very durable, making this a longer-lasting mattress.
- The mattress has a nice balance of comfort and support and could be a good fit for back and side sleeping couples.
- The memory foam is great with motion isolation. It should cut down on motion transfer in the mattress.
Read the full Loom & Leaf mattress review
Loom & Leaf is a perfect choice for those looking for a luxury memory foam feel but don't want to sleep hot. Get the best current deal on Loom and Leaf simply by clicking the button below.
Best For Couples With Different Preferences
One of the biggest problems couples have with sleep is when they have different preferences. One person may like a really firm bed while the other person may like something that is softer. What should that couple do? They could just compromise and get something in between both of their preferences. While compromise can be a good thing, luckily in the mattress world both parties can win without having to compromise.
The Solaire mattress is the best choice for couples with different preferences. This is simply because you can adjust the two sides of the mattress to meet the needs of each sleeping partner. This completely eliminates the issue of each partner liking different things. Check out the Solaire mattress review.
Best For Couples Who Toss And Turn
If someone in a relationship tosses and turns at night, then that can create problems because the other person may wake up when it happens. If that is the case more often than not, the relationship can become strained. In this particular case, you will want to make sure your mattress isolates motion very well. We think that high-density memory foam can be a great option for isolating motion. Because of its chemical nature, the foam keeps any sort of motion confined to a small surface area.
That’s why we like the Loom & Leaf for couples who might toss and turn at night. They use high-density memory foam in the top two layers and from my personal experience, the mattress simply does an excellent job of keeping motion isolated. It’s a very good mattress overall as well. Read our full Loom and Leaf review.
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type than me: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about these mattresses:
First, we have the Saatva Solaire. This is a mattress with adjustable firmness. With the King-size, each side is adjustable. I can choose what firmness I need for my side and my partner can choose what they need.
With the Helix mattress, each side is customizable. I can have my desired firmness on my side, and my partner can have theirs.
Also, if you like the memory foam feel, the Nectar and Loom & Leaf are great options for heavier people. It cuts down on motion transfer, which is a big issue when you or are your partner are heavier.
Out of these six mattresses, these four are the best for heavier people.
If you are a larger person, it can be even more difficult to find a couples mattress. For instance, if you two have very different weights, how choose a mattress to fit you both? However, as Marten said, these four mattresses could be a good match for couples where one or both partners are on the heavier side.
What Should You Look For In A Mattress For Couples?
- Good motion isolation. If you sleep with a partner, you want to find a mattress where each of you can sleep in peace without disturbing each other. So, you want to consider how well your mattress isolates motion. When it comes to cutting down on motion transfer, memory foam is usually the best. Consider a mattress with memory foam if you and your partner want to sleep soundly.
- Edge support. If you sleep with a partner, you also want to think about how much of the mattress you can really utilize. Can you sit or lie down near the edge of your mattress securely or will you feel like you are going to fall off? Solid edge support can ensure that you and your partner will have the necessary space to sleep.
- A good fit for all multiple sleeping positions. Chances are, you and your partner don’t always sleep in the same position. If this is the case, you want to keep an eye for a mattress that is both supportive and comfortable. With a good balance of comfort and support, a mattress will be a good fit for numerous sleeping positions. Because of this, the mattress should be a good fit for two people, even if they sleep in different positions.
What Types Of Materials Are Best For Couples?
- High-Density Memory Foam. Memory foam is known for its great motion isolation. The higher the density of the foam, the better the mattress is for this.
- Some Latex Foams. Latex mattresses can be fairly decent with motion transfer/isolation. It just depends on the specific mattress in question.
- Pocketed Coil Innerspring. A lot of innerspring mattresses aren’t very good with motion transfer. However, if the mattress uses pocketed coils, they tend to be pretty good with isolation.
If you keep all this in mind, it shouldn’t be such a chore to find a couples mattress. Just make sure you find a mattress with good motion isolation and edge support.
Take a look at our individual reviews and, of course, leave any questions in the comment section.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Zoma Mattress Review – Zoned For Comfort And Support? - November 26, 2019
- 2019 Budget Mattress Showdown! Amazon vs Zinus vs Tuft and Needle vs LinenSpa vs Lucid - November 25, 2019
- Beautyrest Black Online Mattress Review – Luxury Comfort And Support? - November 19, 2019