Sleeping with a partner adds to the difficulty of finding an awesome mattress because there are two people in question who both have different needs and preferences.This article will over everything couples need to consider when looking to buy a mattress and then go over the details of seven mattresses that are excellent options for people sleeping with a partner.
Best for Varied Sleeping Positions
Casper has a zoned construction, making it a great fit for all sleeping positions. This is great for couples with different weights and body compositions, as well as preferences.
The Helix is a great mattress for couples who want to customize each side to fit their needs.
The Saatva Solaire is an adjustable air bed with 50 different firmness settings. Each side is adjustable, making it an excellent choice for couples.
Memory Foam Hybrid
The GhostBed Flex is a hybrid mattress that is a great fit for all three sleeping positions.
Best Motion Isolation
The Layla is a flippable mattress that features great motion isolation and pressure relief.
COMFORTABLE AND SUPPORTIVE
The Bear Hybrid is an excellent choice for couples with different sleeping preferences.
Luxury Memory Foam
Loom And Leaf
Loom And Leaf
The Loom & Leaf is a luxury memory foam mattress that should be great for couples who sleep on their back and side.
Best Mattress for Couples Video Review
When choosing a mattress for yourself and your partner, it’s best to know exactly what you’re getting yourselves into. Watch as I personally test and talk through the best mattress options for couples.
Top Picks Compared
Take a look at these top picks for couples mattresses; out of all the mattresses I have reviewed, these seven are the best for couples.
Best for Varied Sleeping Positions
Casper features a zoned construction, which means it will generally feel firmer and more supportive when sleeping on one’s back or stomach and then softer when sleeping on one’s side. Because of the nature of this zoned construction, Casper is a great fit for all sleeping positions and is great for couples who have different tastes or who perhaps sleep in different positions at night.
What Makes The Casper Stand Out?
- The mattress features a zoned construction, making it both supportive and pressure-relieving at the same time. This is great for couples who sleep in different positions at night or who just have different preferences.
- The mattress is very comfortable no matter what position people sleep in at night because of the zoned construction and nice balanced foam feel.
- The Casper is a great value, because it should last people a long time and it has some extra touches that other mattresses in its price range simply do not have.
Read the full breakdown and Casper mattress review here.
Casper is a great value that is also a great fit for all three sleeping positions. You can get 10% Off a Casper mattress simply by clicking the link below.
The Helix mattress is unique in that the company in that you can customize a mattress to meet any sleeper’s needs. People take a quiz regarding their sleep preferences and then Helix sends them a mattress to fit their needs and preferences.
The mattress is great for couples because you and your partner can each customize your side of the mattress. If you each take the quiz, you will receive a mattress where each side is made to fit each partner.
However, unlike the Solaire, you can’t customize the mattress once it arrives; you can’t adjust the mattress after it is in your bedroom. This isn’t necessarily a drawback, but it is something to note.
The Helix also features nice motion isolation, because most of the customized versions contain memory foam in the first layer and the split design also cuts down on motion transfer.
What Makes The Helix Stand Out?
- By taking a sleep quiz, people can customize the mattress to match their sleeping preferences.
- Helix will customize each side of the mattress based on each partner’s needs, making it a great option for couples.
- The coils on the Helix mattresses promote airflow, so sleepers shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Helix.
Read the full rundown and Helix mattress review here.
Helix provides customizable mattresses that can be a great fit for any type of sleeper; click the link below for the best deal on a Helix mattress.
The Saatva Solaire mattress is an air bed with adjustable firmness, and using a remote control, people can choose from one of 50 firmness settings. The mattress will then inflate or deflate and help give people the exact mix of comfort and support they desire.
The Solaire is also a great match for couples, because this mattress is actually split so each side is adjustable. With this design, each partner can select the firmness that matches their sleeping position. If one person sleeps on their stomach, they can set the mattress to a firm setting while the other person can set the mattress to a softer setting.
Also, this split design should also help deal with motion transfer, so people shouldn’t see as much motion transfer from one side of the mattress to the other. Because of this, you and your partner shouldn’t disturb each other when you move around at night.
What Makes The Solaire Stand Out?
- The Solaire features adjustable firmness and people can select from one of 50 firmness settings.
- The Solaire is split so that each side is adjustable and each partner can select their desired firmness.
- The split design should also help the Solaire cut down on motion transfer.
- The Solaire features a high-end design, so if people are looking for a luxury look and feel, this could be right for them.
- The mattress also works with an adjustable bed. It fits perfectly on the Saatva Lineal.
Read the full breakdown and Solaire mattress review here.
The Saatva Solaire is a very comfortable mattress with adjustable firmness. It is a great fit for light- and medium-weight people of any sleeping position. Click the link to save $100 on the Solaire.
Memory Foam Hybrid
The GhostBed Flex is a hybrid mattress that features high-grade pocketed coils and premium memory foam, which make it a good fit for all three sleeping positions. The mattress’s balance of comfort and support should allow each partner to sleep in any position imaginable.
Also, the memory foam on top is quite soft and should handle motion transfer very well. During my motion isolation tests, I saw little disturbance and motion transfer on the GhostBed Flex. As a result, people shouldn’t feel their partner moving around at night.
Finally, the hybrid construction ensures that the GhostBed Flex has solid edge support, which means people and their partner should be able to utilize the whole mattress, all the way to the edge. Sitting or lying near the edge, you should generally feel secure.
What Makes The Flex Stand Out?
- The Flex features a great balance of comfort and support, making it a great match for any sleeping position.
- The mattress cuts down on motion transfer so people shouldn’t feel their partner moving around on their side of the bed.
- The coils allow for a good amount of airflow, so this should be a breathable mattress and a good match for hot sleepers.
Read the full breakdown and GhostBed Flex mattress review here.
Best Motion Isolation
The Layla is a very interesting mattress in that it is flippable, meanign one side is firm and supportive while the other side is soft and comfortable. People basically have two firmness options in one mattress, maximizing the chances people will find the appropriate firmness for them.
Even though it is flippable, people and their partner have to sleep on the same side. I believe most people will prefer the soft side, because it is very comfortable and features great pressure relief. Because of this, the Layla should be a great match for couples who are both side sleepers, and they should feel little pressure on their shoulders and hips.
In addition, the Layla handles motion transfer the best out of these six mattresses. The soft memory foam absorbs motion so that you should see almost no motion transfer on the Layla.
What Makes The Layla Stand Out?
- The Layla is one of the most comfortable mattresses I have reviewed, and the memory foam melts away any pressure.
- The mattress is flippable so people can choose from a soft side and a firm side.
- The Layla handles motion transfer very well so people shouldn’t feel their partner’s movements on their side of the bed.
- The mattress features copper-infused memory foam, which is antimicrobial and also helps with cooling.
- The Layla relieves pressure very well and should be a great match for the majority of side sleepers.
Read the full breakdown and Layla mattress review here.
Layla is an innovative mattress that happens to be one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on. You can get $110 off the Layla mattress by clicking the link below and then using code MCLARITY.
COMFORTABLE AND SUPPORTIVE
The Bear Hybrid was made specifically to be comfortable and supportive at the same time. The mattress performed very well on our pressure map tests because of the premium foams that they use. The pocketed coils can support people of really any weight, and it’s a great fit no matter what sleeping position you prefer.
The mattress is great for couples with different preferences, and there is also limited motion transfer, meaning you won’t really feel your partner moving around the bed.
What Makes The Bear Hybrid Stand Out?
- The mattress is a great balance of comfort and support. It has great pressure relief and can support people of any weight.
- The mattress is a good fit for all three sleeping positions, making it great for couples with different sleeping preferences.
- The mattress will not sleep hot because of its breathable foams and celliant cover.
Read the full rundown and Bear Hybrid mattress review here.
The Bear Hybrid has a great balance of comfort and support. It is a great match for back and side sleepers. You can get $225 off the Bear mattress by clicking the link below and using code CLARITY225 at checkout.
Luxury Memory Foam
Loom And Leaf
The Loom & Leaf is a luxury mattress with an upscale look and feel. If you are looking for that luxury, hotel mattress experience, the Loom & Leaf could be a good choice.
The mattress features high-density memory foams that are great with contouring. Back sleepers should feel the mattress conform to the curves of their body.
Also, the memory foam relieves pressure on the shoulders and hips. The mattress does feel firm at first, but you slowly sink in and feel that pressure disappear. Couples who are back or side sleepers should definitely check out the Loom & Leaf.
This high-density memory is also great with motion transfer. I saw almost no motion transfer when I tested out the Loom & Leaf. If you sleep with a partner, you shouldn’t feel their movements on your side of the bed.
What Makes The Loom & Leaf Stand Out?
- The Loom & Leaf has a luxury look and feel, and also features an upscale construction.
- The mattress contains many features that are designed to help keep people cool throughout the night.
- The high-density memory foam is very durable, making this a longer-lasting mattress and a great value overall.
- The mattress has a nice balance of comfort and support and could be a good fit for back and side sleeping couples.
- The memory foam is great with motion isolation and it should cut down on motion transfer in the mattress.
Read the full breakdown and Loom & Leaf mattress review here.
Loom And Leaf is a perfect choice for those looking for a luxury memory foam feel but don't want to sleep hot. Save $100 on Loom And Leaf simply by clicking the button below.
Best For Couples With Different Preferences
One of the biggest problems couples have with sleep is when they have different preferences, like when one person likes a really firm bed while the other person likes something that is softer. In those instances, they could just compromise and get something in between both of their preferences. While compromise can be a good thing, luckily in the mattress world both parties can win without having to compromise.
The Solaire mattress is the best choice for couples with different preferences, because people can adjust the two sides of the mattress to meet the needs of each sleeping partner. This completely eliminates the issue of each partner liking different things. For those consumers who are interested, they can read all the details and breakdown of the mattress in our Solaire mattress review.
Best For Couples Who Toss And Turn
If someone in a relationship tosses and turns at night, then that can create problems because the other person may wake up when it happens. If that is the case more often than not, the relationship can become strained. In this particular case, you will want to make sure your mattress isolates motion very well. We think that high-density memory foam can be a great option for isolating motion. Because of its chemical nature, the foam keeps any sort of motion confined to a small surface area.
That’s why we like the Loom & Leaf for couples who might toss and turn at night. They use high-density memory foam in the top two layers and from my personal experience, the mattress simply does an excellent job of keeping motion isolated. It’s a very good mattress overall as well, and consumers can read our full Loom and Leaf review here for a full breakdown of the mattress construction and the key takeaways about the product.
Mattress Options for Couples Who Are Heavier
Marten is a staff writer for us and has a much different body type than I do: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 pounds; I am 5’9″ and 160 pounds. Here is what he thought about this selection of mattresses and how appropriate they are for heavier sleepers like him
First, we have the Saatva Solaire, which is a mattress with adjustable firmness. With the King-size, each side is adjustable, so I can choose what firmness I need for my side and my partner can choose what they need.
With the Helix mattress, each side is customizable, so I can have my desired firmness on my side, and my partner can have theirs.
Also, if you like the memory foam feel, the Nectar and Loom & Leaf are great options for heavier people, because they both cut down on motion transfer, which is a big issue when you or are your partner are heavier.
Out of these six mattresses, these four are the best for heavier people based their construction and on my personal experience.
If you are a larger person, it can be even more difficult to find a couples mattress, because, for instance, if you two have very different weights, how can you choose a mattress to fit you both? However, as Marten said, these four mattresses could be a good match for couples where one or both partners are on the heavier side.
What Should You Look For In A Mattress For Couples?
- Good motion isolation- If you sleep with a partner, you want to find a mattress where each of you can sleep in peace without disturbing each other, so you want to consider how well your mattress isolates motion. When it comes to cutting down on motion transfer, memory foam is usually the best, so people should definitely consider a mattress with memory foam if they and their partner want to sleep soundly.
- Edge support- If people sleep with a partner, they also want to think about how much of the mattress they can really utilize. Can you sit or lie down near the edge of your mattress securely or will you feel like you are going to fall off? Solid edge support can ensure that you and your partner will have the necessary space to sleep, which is ideal.
- A good fit for all multiple sleeping positions- Chances are, you and your partner don’t always sleep in the same position; if this is the case, you probably will want to keep an eye for a mattress that is both supportive and comfortable. With a good balance of comfort and support, a mattress will be a good fit for numerous sleeping positions; because of this, the mattress should be a good fit for two people, even if they sleep in different positions.
What Types Of Materials Are Best For Couples?
- High-Density Memory Foam- Memory foam is known for its great motion isolation., and the higher the density of the foam, the better the mattress is for this.
- Some Latex Foams- Latex mattresses can be fairly decent with motion transfer/isolation, but it just depends on the specific mattress in question.
- Pocketed Coil Innerspring- A lot of innerspring mattresses aren’t very good with motion transfer, but if the mattress uses pocketed coils, they tend to be pretty good with isolation.
If people keep all this in mind, it shouldn’t be such a chore to find a couples mattress; people should just make sure they find a mattress with good motion isolation and edge support.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.