Choosing the right mattress for you and your partner can have a tremendous impact on the quality of your sleep. We always caution that there is never one “best” mattress, and that certainly applies for couples as well as people that sleep alone, but there are certain things that couples may need to prioritize when mattress shopping.
Particularly, couples who are significantly different weights or have different sleeping preferences should be aware of mattresses that allow customization on each side of the bed. What I’m trying to do is make sure relationships don’t go south because they didn’t do the proper research into what mattress they should get. Hopefully this article will prevent that from happening.
My top mattress picks for couples include mattresses that are high quality, durable, and great value – but also prioritize motion isolation and customization. My three favorites are:
- Layla: Most comfortable
- Helix: Best for couples with different preferences
- Loom and Leaf: Best for couples where someone tosses and turns
- Sleep Number
- Nectar: Most affordable option that is great for couples
Read below for more details on these mattresses to help decide on which one may be best for you.
Layla is an innovative memory foam mattress that is one of the most comfortable mattresses you could ever sleep on. The memory foam really melts away any pressure points that you might otherwise feel. The memory foam is copper-infused, which can potentially provide for a cooler sleeping surface and bring you certain health benefits as well. The cover is infused with Thermogel, making it cool to the touch
The mattress is flippable, meaning you get two firmness levels in one mattress. The firm side is quite firm, so I believe most people will want to check out the soft side. I think the soft side is an excellent choice for back and side sleepers.
The memory foam on both sides of the mattress does an excellent job at isolating motion, making it a great option for couples who don’t want to be bothered by the movements of the partner at night.
What Makes Layla Stand Out?
- The mattress is one of the most comfortable mattresses on the market
- At its price, it is also on the best values you can find on the market too
- The memory foam isolates motion extremely well, meaning you won’t be bothered by the movement of your partner at night
- It is one of the best memory foam mattresses at sleeping cool
Helix is a bed-in-a-box company that is sold only online (providing good value), but the real story with them is their customization options.
When ordering a Helix mattress, you first take a quiz that asks you about your sleep preferences. They will ask you about your firmness preference, sleeping hot/cool preferences, and a few other factors. Then they will personalize your mattress based on your responses.
What’s lesser known about Helix is that you can personalize each side of the bed – meaning you and your partner can both take the quiz and then have each side of the bed customized to each of your preferences. Read HERE to learn more about how this is such a great option for couples. No other mattress at this price point offers anything close to this, making Helix our top mattress for couples pick. Learn more about Helix in our full Helix review.
What Makes Helix Stand Out?
- The company customizes its mattresses based on answers you provide to a sleep quiz.
- Couples can take two separate quizzes and customize each half of the mattress or create a mattress that blends the answers together. This is especially good for couples who have very different sleep preferences.
- This mattress can be especially good for people who just aren’t sure what type of mattress they want to get.
Loom and Leaf is one of our top reviewed mattresses in general and one of our best mattress for side sleepers winners, but we also recommend it for couples because of its outstanding performance in motion isolation.
Loom & Leaf is a very high quality memory foam mattress (think Tempur-pedic), but it follows an online-only business model, making it significantly more affordable than other mattresses in the market with different specs.
I like this mattress for couples because the motion transfer is simply non-existent. If your partner is kicking and tossing on the other side of the bed, you may not even notice. Learn more about Loom and Leaf in our full Loom and Leaf review.
What Makes The Loom & Leaf Stand Out?
- The top layers are high-density memory foam, which do an excellent job of isolating motion.
- The mattress is a great fit for all sleeping positions. It is slightly firmer than average, making it supportive enough for back and stomach sleeping. However, the high-density memory foam also melts away pressure when you sleep on your side.
- The mattress does an excellent job of addressing the issue of sleeping hot.
- The mattress is an excellent value. Comparable memory foam mattresses found in retail stores would typically cost 2-2.5 times what the Loom & leaf retails for.
Sleep Number makes the list because it also allows personalization on each side of the mattress. They have unique air-mattress technology that some people really love.
The downside with Sleep Number is that it tends to be polarizing, with reviews showing that some people love it and some people hate it. The price is also on the high end as well. There are some more affordable models, but overall the brand can be pricey for a lot of people.
If Sleep Number is interesting for you and your partner, I recommend going to a local spot and testing it out – this is not one you want to buy online to see if you like it.
What Makes Sleep Number Stand Out?
- You are able to adjust the firmness level of the mattress at any time. If you feel like sleeping on your side, for example, then you can adjust the mattress to be softer. If you want to flip over on your back or stomach, then you can adjust the mattress to be firmer whenever you want.
- Couples can have two different firmness levels for each side of the mattress. If one person likes a firmer mattress while the other likes a softer mattress, then Sleep Number provides a great solution where both sleepers can be happy.
Nectar is out top budget picks for couples. The mattress is very affordable (you can get a Queen for about $700 and there are financing options available). The mattress uses a very comfortable memory foam that also isolates motion very well. It’s one of our top budget picks overall because it costs less than almost all of its online foam mattress competitors yet is still an awesome mattress.
What Makes Nectar Stand Out?
- The mattress has a couple of memory foam layers on top that isolate motion very well, making it a great choice for couples who might toss and turn at night.
- The mattress is priced lower than almost all of its all-foam mattress competitors online, making it one of the very best values that you can find.
- The mattress is very comfortable and can be an excellent choice for both side and back sleepers
- The mattress comes with the most friendly sleep trial and warranty that you can find online.
Best For Couples With Different Preferences
One of the biggest problems couples have with sleep is when they have different preferences. One person may like a really firm bed while the other may like something that is softer. What should that couple do? They could just compromise and get something in between both of their preferences. While compromise can be a good thing, luckily in the mattress world both parties can win without having to compromise.
The Helix mattress is the best choice for couples with different preferences. This is simply because you can customize two sides of the mattress to the choices of each sleeping partner. This completely eliminates the issue of each partner liking different things. Check out our full review of the Helix here.
Best For Couples Who Toss And Turn
If someone in a relationship tosses and turns at night, then that can create problems because the other person may wake up when it happens. If that is the case more often than not, the relationship can become strained. In this particular case, you will want to make sure your mattress isolates motion very well. We think that high-density memory foam can be a great option for isolating motion. Because of its chemical nature, the foam keeps any sort of motion confined to a small surface area.
That’s why we like the Loom & Leaf for couples who might toss and turn at night. They use high-density memory foam in the top two layers and from my personal experience, the mattress simply does an excellent job of keeping motion isolated. It’s a very good mattress overall as well. You can see our full Loom and Leaf review here.
What Other Mattresses to Consider?
Use the three recommendations above as a starting point, but you may want to branch out. What are the key features that I look for when considering a mattress for a couple?
- High-Density Memory Foam– Memory foam is known for its great motion isolation. The higher the density of the foam, the better the mattress is for this.
- Some Latex Foams– Latex mattresses can be fairly decent with motion transfer/isolation. It just depends on the specific mattress in question.
- Pocketed Coil Innerspring– A lot of innerspring mattresses aren’t very good with motion transfer. However, if the mattress uses pocketed coils, they tend to be pretty good with isolation.
Getting The Right Feel
Having great motion isolation is a nice thing to have for couples, but what’s probably most important is that the mattress is a great fit for both of the individuals. This can be tough if one person is a side sleeper and is on the heavier side, for example, and the other is a back sleeper who is much lighter. There are a lot of factors that determine whether someone will like a particular mattress. That makes it especially difficult to find a great mattress when there are two different sleepers to consider.
Option 1: Find The Right Compromise– You should really dig into the characteristics, sleeping styles, and preferences of both sleepers. See where there is common ground, and potentially there can be a mattress that is a good compromise.
Option 2: If Compromise Just Isn’t Possible, Consider Customized or Adjustable Mattresses– If the sleeping style and preferences of you and your partner are so different that compromise just isn’t possible, then there are still a few options for you. Sleep Number provides adjustable beds where each side of the mattress can have its firmness adjusted. A mattress like that could be an intriguing option.
More On Motion Transfer
If you sleep with someone else in the bed, you don’t want their movements to disturb you. The best way to address this is by finding a mattress with good motion isolation. That essentially means if you put pressure on one part of the bed, the other parts don’t feel anything. If you’re in a showroom, try putting an object on the other side of the bed while you’re on it to see if it’s disturbed. Below is a video of me completing the test on the Lull mattress, which performs well.
You don’t necessarily need a special mattress if you are a couple, but it really comes into play if you have different firmness preferences or different weights. Helix is my top recommendation for couples looking to personalize each side of the mattress, but there are a number of different options that will work for each pair depending on what they need.