The I-8 mattress and the I-LE mattress are two of the most luxurious models Sleep Number has to offer. Both offer foam comfort layers and cooling features to keep people comfortable all night.
Since the mattresses have similar qualities, we’ve put together a handy guide with all of the details in each mattress to help people decide which one is best for them.
The i8 is one of Sleep Number's higher-end mattresses and is both comfortable and breathable. Click the button to save $600 on the i8.
- Both come in Twin XL – FlexTop Cal King (more size options)
- Both mattresses are made with a polyester/polypropylene blend fabric that is designed to be soft and breathable
- Both offer single or dual air chamber options (depending on mattress size)
- Sleep IQ Technology included
Both come with this optional feature:
FlexFit™ Adjustable Bases
- 13” mattress profile
- 1” foam base pad underneath the air chamber(s)
- 3” of proprietary PlushFit foam – supportive foam is designed exclusively for Sleep Number to naturally conform to the body’s curves
- PlushFit foam has 7 zones specifically designed to contour to the head, shoulders, lower back, hips, knees, lower legs, and feet
- Duvet-style pillowtop that includes: around 2” of Hypersoft Quilting Foam for a plush surface and Outlast temperature balancing technology to minimize temperature swings
- $3,499 for a Queen size
- 14” mattress profile
- 2” foam base pad underneath the air chamber(s)
- 3” of Exclusive Comfort Layer foam – enhanced with a breathable airflow design to help balance sleeping temperature
- Comfort foam has 5 zones specifically designed to contour to the head, shoulders, lower back, hips, and knees
- Duvet-style pillowtop that includes: approximately 3” of Hypersoft Quilting Foam for a plush surface
- $4,899 for a Queen size
What I Found From Several Live Chat Sessions
The I-8 and I-LE mattresses are very similar but there are a few details which separate them that are worth noting.
Foam Comfort Layer: The I-8 has a 3” layer of PlushFit comfort foam that is made with 7 zones specifically designed to contour to the body. The I-LE features 3” of a different type of foam called an “Exclusive Comfort Layer” with 5 contouring zones. The comfort foam layer in the I-LE is also made with breathable fabric to help keep people sleep cool throughout the duration of the night.
Cooling Features: Both mattresses offer ways to keep people sleeping cool. The I-8 has temperature balancing material on the mattress cover while the foam comfort layer is made to breathe and keep people cool on the I-LE.
Which Should People Pick?
- People Want To Spend Less. While the I-8 and the I-LE models have a lot in common, one thing they differ on is their price. A Queen size I-8 mattress retails for $3,499 while the I-LE will cost an additional $1,400 (for a total price of $4,899 for a Queen).
- People Want Full Body Pressure Relief. This is a minor difference, but the PlushFit comfort layer in the I-8 has 7 zones of body contouring and the foam layer in the I-LE only has 5 zones. People will get additional pressure relief in the lower legs and feet through the comfort layer in the I-8.
- Consumers Want More Cushion. According to the Sleep Number Customer representative, I talked to, the higher the model number, the more cushioning the mattress will have. So the I-LE has an extra layer of quilting foam sewn into the mattress top and has more cushion than the I-8.
- People Are Hot Sleepers. The I-8 and the I-LE models both offer cooling features. For the I-8, it’s through the mattress top which has built-in Outlast Technology. This technology is designed to pull moisture away from people and redistribute it throughout the night. The I-LE has an enhanced foam layer that allows for air movement and breathability.
There’s no doubt that the I-8 and the I-LE mattresses both have a lot to offer in terms of keeping people sleeping cool and comfortable throughout the night.
The I-8 mattress may be best because the I-8 and I-LE are so similar that the additional qualities in the I-LE are potentially not worth the increased cost ($1,400 for a Queen).
With the I-8 mattress, people still get 3” of comfort foam and cooling technology built into the soft mattress top. With the money people save choosing this option, they could additionally get a FlexFit Adjustable Base and some nice sheets!