The Eve mattress is a new bed-in-the-box model that has been very popular overseas, and is now available in the US.
Overall I like the Eve mattress, although it’s not going to be the perfect fit for everyone (See how Eve compares to other brands HERE). The new construction of the updated Eve takes advantage of some new foam technology that makes it a unique offering in the online-only space.
Note: This review has been updated (text and video) after Eve updated the construction of their mattress.
Read on for my full Eve Mattress review and primary complaints.
You will like the Eve if…
- You like the foam mattress feel – The new Eve has a great pressure-relieving, foam feel without the feeling of getting stuck. If you want a memory foam feel without getting stuck, this is a great choice, and if you like a little bit of bounce (but not too much), this is a good choice.
- Value is important – Eve follows the online-only model, cutting out the middle man and delivering a lot of value compared to other mattresses on the market. A mattress of this quality would be 2-3x the price if you found it at your local mattress store.
- You are a side sleeper – While subjective, I feel the new Eve is a tad softer than average, making it really ideal for side sleepers. The top layer is really great at relieving pressure as well.
- You sleep with a partner– Eve really stands out with how good it is at motion isolation. I was very impressed. If you sleep with a partner, chances are you will not be disturbed by your partner’s shifting around at night.
My Eve mattress complaints – it’s good, but not for everyone
- It’s a bit soft– If you are a pure stomach or back sleeper, then you may think the mattress is a a tad bit soft. The best part about the mattress is how it relieves pressure, and that is most critical for side sleepers. If you don’t sleep on your side, then you won’t enjoy the best part about the mattress.
- Spring lovers may not be used to this feel– If you are used to an innerspring, sleeping “on” the mattress feel, then you may want to try another mattress. With Eve, you do sink into the mattress a bit, and I believe it is a distinctly different feel from a traditional innerspring mattress.
- Standard online mattress company complaints – you can’t try Eve out online, there’s only one firmness option, etc. These are complaints that are common to all other companies selling online (and they’ve dealt with these complaints well), but just something to note if you’re also considering buying from a physical mattress store.
Firmness and Feel
As you can see, the new Eve is very responsive for a memory foam mattress.
Eve Mattress Construction
The new Eve mattress has a fairly unique construction. The top layer is two inches of what they call next generation memory foam. It has all the pressure-relieving qualities of memory foam, but it is more responsive (similar to the response layer in the Tempur-Flex Supreme). One of the complaints about memory foam mattresses is the feeling of getting stuck in the mattress. That is directly addressed here, and the mattress does a great job of relieving pressure without the feeling of getting stuck.
Below the top layer is 1.5 inches of open-celled memory foam. This is a breathable layer designed to make the mattress sleep cool. My experience was great in this regard and I didn’t feel at all like the mattress slept hot.
Overall, the mattress has a nice pressure-relieving foam feel without sinking in too much and getting stuck. It’s a good balance of a memory foam and latex feel in that regard. The aim is to have the benefits of both memory foam and latex without the drawbacks. I think they have come close to achieving that.
If you’re sleeping with a partner, you should be considering motion transfer when looking at mattresses. This means if you move, you don’t want to disturb your partner. See my motion transfer test on the Eve mattress below.
I think Eve really stands out here. You can see there’s barely any motion transfer at all.
Overall I liked the new Eve mattress, and had a good experience sleeping on it. If you are looking at memory foam but are worried about sleeping hot or sinking in too much and getting stuck, this is definitely a great choice you should be looking at (see all mattresses reviewed on this site).
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Tuft & Needle Mint Mattress Review – A Quality Value? - December 18, 2018
- Level Sleep Giveaway – Zoned For Back Pain? - December 5, 2018
- 6 Most Comfortable Mattresses 2019 – Which Is Best For You? - December 3, 2018