Amerisleep is a popular company that sells a line of memory foam mattresses online. One of their most popular models is the AS3 mattress (formerly known as Liberty). I have tried the AS4 and AS2 before, and overall I enjoyed my experience with them.
I was excited to see how the AS3 felt and compared to the other mattresses from Amerisleep that I’ve tried. The company believes that there is not one best mattress for everybody, and so it created a line of mattresses catered to different types of sleepers. The AS3 is one of the best known of those mattresses. Read on for my full Amerisleep AS3 Bed review.
You Will Love The Amerisleep AS3 (Liberty) Bed If…
- You Want The Benefits Of Memory Foam Without Some Of The Drawbacks– The AS3 has great pressure relief and contouring, which is something memory foam is known for. However, the mattress does not sleep hot, and because the foam is fairly responsive, you don’t ever really get the feeling of being stuck (which is a common memory foam complaint).
- You Value The Extras Put Into The Construction– Amerisleep puts some nice extras into their construction. The celliant cover is one example. I would encourage you to look into the science behind celliant, but the claims are that it can have numerous health benefits. The company also uses bio-based foams and takes extra effort to make sure their mattresses won’t sleep hot. The cost of the materials in the AS3 are definitely more than almost all other mattresses at this price point, meaning you can really get a great value.
- You Sleep On Your Side Or In Multiple Positions– I agree with the company when they state it has a medium firmness level. For me, the pressure relief was great when I slept on my side. It was also still supportive on my back and stomach, so I think it’s a good fit if you sleep in multiple positions. If you just sleep on your stomach or back, then there are other models that would be a better fit.
- You Sleep With A Partner– The AS3 does an amazing job at isolating motion. That means if your partner moves around, you typically won’t be disturbed.
You May Not Like The Amerisleep AS3 (Liberty) Bed If…
- You Sleep Just On Your Stomach Or Back– While the AS3 is really great for side sleeping and combo sleeping, it may be a little too soft for people who just sleep on their stomach or back. Amerisleep has other models that might be a good fit for you if you fall into this category of sleeper.
- The Memory Foam Feel Isn’t For You– I’ve found that the memory foam feel is typically a love it or hate it type of thing. While the AS3 is more responsive than most memory foam mattresses, it still retains that slower-moving, gradually sinking feel. If you don’t like that type of feel, then you would probably want to look elsewhere.
- You Want A Bouncier Mattress– Latex or innerspring mattresses will provide more bounce and response than the AS3 does. This is typically just a matter of personal preference, so figure out whether you like your mattress to have more or less bounce. If you want more bounce, then maybe consider a latex or innerspring mattress.
The company states that the AS3 has a medium firmness level. I would tend to agree with that. You can see from the video below that I can push my hand into the mattress somewhat easily at first, so there is definitely some initial softness to the feel.
You can also see that the mattress has a memory foam feel but is probably more responsive than most other memory foam mattresses. As a result, I felt like I got good pressure relief without the feeling of sinking in too much or feeling stuck. For an Amerisleep feels comparison also check out my AS3 vs AS4 and AS3 vs AS2 reviews.
The construction begins with the cover. What makes the cover unique is that it is made in part with celliant. I would encourage you to look into celliant technology, as there are certain studies that show it can have numerous health benefits. I can’t personally vouch for those claims, so definitely do some research on your own and see what you think.
The AS3 bed layers are as follows:
- Top layer is 3 inches of 4 lb. density bio-based memory foam
- Transition layer is 2 inch transition of 1.65 lb. density polyfoam
- Base layer is 7 inches of 1.8 lb. density polyfoam.
The company constructed this mattress in order to cater to side sleepers and combo sleepers with a medium firmness level. Overall, the mattress should be very durable, as their unique manufacturing process makes their foams much more durable than other foams with similar densities.
For a Queen, the AS3 is $1,199. However, you can typically get $100-150 off your purchase as the company is usually running some sort of promotion.
The AS3 does a very good job at isolating motion. As you can see from the video below, when someone moves on one side of the bed, the other side of the bed barely gets disturbed at all. That makes this option a really good mattress for couples.
Sleeping Hot / Lack Thereof
Amerisleep mattresses sleep cool, and they do so perhaps more than any other memory foam mattress I’ve slept on. The combination of celliant and bio-based foams is perhaps what does it, but I think most would agree the AS3 does sleep nice and cool.
Is It Adjustable-Base Friendly?
The video below shows that this mattress works great with an adjustable base.
I think the AS3 is a great option for side/combo sleepers who want a memory foam feel without the main drawbacks memory foam is known for. I think the mattress is a great value and is definitely worth taking a hard look at.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- WinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress Review – Great For Hot Sleepers? - August 19, 2019
- WinkBeds MemoryLux Mattress Review – Made For Combination Sleepers? - August 5, 2019
- Emma Mattress Review – A Side Sleeper’s Dream? - July 26, 2019