Purple and Amerisleep are two very popular online-only mattress companies that have seen great success. Purple has a unique material that makes it really stand out from the competition, while Amerisleep has a line of memory foam mattresses designed specifically for different types of sleepers. As the companies have grown in popularity, people wonder how they compare to one another. I’ll go over the main similarities and differences in this article to help you if you are down to Purple vs Amerisleep.
- Both have a similar business model / value proposition
- Both have a poly foam base layer
- Both have great motion isolation
- Both companies have mattresses that sleep cool
- Both companies have mattresses that are more durable than average
- Purple uses a hyper-elastic polymer gel in the comfort layer, while Amerisleep uses memory foam
- Purple has just one mattress, while Amerisleep has a line of 5 mattresses
- Purple’s top layer is instantaneously responsive, while Amerisleep’s memory foam takes a few seconds to return to form
- Amerisleep has a slowly sinking into the mattress feel, while Purple has a unique feel that is both firm and pressure-relieving at the same time
- Amerisleep has a celliant cover
You can see from the picture below in general what the layers of the Purple mattress look like. Here’s a breakdown:
- The top layer is 2 inches of hyper-elastic polymer. This material is supportive until it reaches a certain pressure threshold, at which point it collapses. This means that you get support where you need it and pressure relief where you need it. I also think it makes the mattress feel firm yet pressure-relieving at the same time (making it great for side sleepers). It’s a highly durable material (more so than foam alternatives) and is completely temperature neutral.
- The middle layer is 3.5 inches of 1.8 lb. density transition poly foam. It is meant to provide a smooth transition from the comfort layer to the firm base layer.
- The base layer is 4 inches of 2.0 lb. density poly foam.
Amerisleep Mattress Construction
Amerisleep has a line of 5 different memory foam mattresses. They have different firmness levels and are catered to different types of sleepers. They have the following characteristics:
- Celliant cover- Celliant has been shown to have certain health benefits and provide a cooler sleeping environment
- They all use a bio-based memory foam top layer. This is a very soft layer that provides great pressure relief.
- All but one mattress will have a transition polyfoam layer. This will help ease the transition to the firm base layer
- All will have a pretty standard polyfoam base layer
- The company uses a manufacturing process that makes the foams it uses more durable. Overall, the mattresses should last a long time
The Purple feels firm yet pressure-relieving at the same time. That is because when enough pressure is applied to the gel layer, it will collapse. It will therefore feel firm until the gel collapses, at which point you shouldn’t feel any pressure. The one caveat here is that if you don’t weigh enough, you might not activate the collapsing of the gel. The video below shows off the general feel. You can see that it is instantly responsive as well, making it very easy to move around in the bed.
The Amerisleep mattresses have a different feel. It is more of a classic memory foam feel where you slowly sink into the mattress. The video below shows the feel of the AS4 mattress.
Motion Transfer Differences
Both mattresses do pretty well with motion transfer. I would give the Amerisleep mattresses an edge because of the use of memory foam in the top layer. You can see how they perform from the videos below. The Amerisleep video is of the AS4 mattress.
Which Should You Pick?
- If you like memory foam and have had success with it in the past, choose Amerisleep
- If you want something completely temperature neutral, go with Purple
- If you like the feeling of slowly sinking into your mattress, choose Amerisleep
- If you want a more responsive sleeping surface, go with Purple
- If you have a very specific firmness level you want, choose Amerisleep
- If you don’t mind taking a chance on a unique concept, go with Purple
These are two great mattress companies with a lot to offer. If you have any specific questions that will help you with your decision, please leave a comment and I’ll try to answer your question as soon as I can.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Beautyrest Black Online Mattress Review – Luxury Comfort And Support? - November 19, 2019
- Zinus Vs AmazonBasics Comparison – Which Online Mattress Wins Out? - November 11, 2019
- AmazonBasics Memory Foam Mattress Review – A Comfortable Value? - November 8, 2019