The TEMPUR-Embrace, a product from the well-known mattress and bedding company TEMPUR-Pedic and the Bear pillow, from Bear Mattress, are both solid foam pillows that offer removable covers, which are simple to clean. What truly sets them apart are their shapes and their overall feel, despite both being foam pillows. Which one is going to be the best fit? Read on for my full comparison.
- Fillings are solid pieces of foam
- Covers are removable and washable/dryer-friendly
- Similar height profiles – 4.7″ (TEMPUR-Embrace) and 5″ (Bear)
- Could both work for back and side sleepers
- Standard/Queen: 23.6″ x 19.7″ x 4.7″ (Comes in one size)
- Cover: 99% Polyester, 1% Elastane
- Filling: 69% Shredded Polyurethane Foam, 31% Polyurethane Foam Pad
- Medium-Soft overall feel
- Designed to be compatible with all sleep positions
- Removable/washable cover
- Unique design (an X-shape with rounded corners), features indentations in the sides to facilitate comfortable breathing and a better sleep climate
- 5-year limited warranty
- Return Policy: No returns allowed
- Care instructions: Machine wash in warm water and line dry (or dry clean)
- Price (one size): $99
- Queen size: 27″ x 15″ x 5″
- Cover: Double Ice Fabric: a special fabric that feels cool to the touch; made up of 40% “cool yarn” and 60% polyester
- Core filling is made with Loft-X Foam: a hybrid foam that combines memory foam and latex foam to contour to one’s spine and neck (100% polyurethane)
- Dual mesh side panels for continuous airflow throughout the night
- 2-year warranty and 100 night trial (from the time one receives the pillow)
- King and Queen sizes available
- Price: $95 (Queen)
Who Might Choose…
- Combination sleepers. The shape, firmness, and loft of the TEMPUR-Embrace make it a decent fit for all sleep positions. The ventilated cover is intended to help stomach sleepers stay cool and comfortable but I was more inclined to sleep on my side and back as well thanks to its unique shape.
- Those who prefer the feel of memory foam. The pillow is an interesting mix of a foam pad and pieces of shredded foam – although it feels mostly like a giant pad. Sleepers won’t find substantial height or support but sleepers will feel the contouring pressure-relief of that slow responding memory foam.
- Those who prefer latex foam. The core of the Bear pillow is a solid piece of ventilated Loft-X foam, which is a hybrid of contouring memory foam and resilient latex foam. Customers shouldn’t anticipate that slow response that’s indicative of memory foam. Instead, it will have a bouncier, lighter and overall quicker response time.
- Hot sleepers. The pillow’s foam core is ventilated and produced with technology-enhanced Double Ice fabric (which is a combination of polyester and proprietary”cool yarn”) that makes the pillow feel cool-to-the-touch. The mesh panels on either end help promote airflow – this pillow is truly designed to help everyone sleep cool.
- Those with a decent budget. The TEMPUR-Embrace pillow comes in one size and retails for $99 while the Queen size Bear pillow is $95. Both pillows offer a lot of value but are not necessarily in everyone’s budget.
These pillows may not look much alike, but they both have great foam fillings and removable covers that are both breathable and easy to care for. With similar lofts, they can each work for back and side sleepers but stomach sleepers are going to want to choose the TEMPUR-Embrace which is has a slightly softer feel.
These pillows both come in right under $100 but only the Bear has a 100-night trial period (there are no returns available on the TEMPUR-Embrace).
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- How Genetics Impact Our Sleep - March 23, 2020
- Amerisleep Comfort Classic Pillow Review – The Perfect Foam Pillow? - March 20, 2020
- Best Cotton Sheets – Tried and Tested! - March 3, 2020