The Beyond Down Gel Fiber pillow for side sleepers has a wide 4.5″ gusset and overstuffed nature that provides plenty of support. The Leesa pillow is filled with a solid piece of Avena foam, that won’t change shape or fall flat. It may seem like these pillows don’t have much in common (their covers are entirely different as well) there is one thing they share in common. Read on for my full comparison.
- Portions of each can be laundered
- Could be a good fit for side sleepers
- Come in multiple sizes
Beyond Down Gel Fiber Side Sleeper:
- Comes in Standard, Queen and King sizes
- King measures 20″ x 36″ x 4.5″
- Filling: gel fiber that mimics goose down (100% polyester fiber)
- 300 thread count, 100% cotton cover
- 4.5″ gusset, with double needle corded edges
- Designed for side sleepers
- Cover is made in China and the filling is made in the USA
- Price (varies): $42 for a King, Queen $32, and Standard $19.
- Care: machine wash and dryer friendly
- Standard size: 18” x 26” x 5”
- Filling: solid piece of 100% Avena foam (ventilated)
- Cover: 70% Polyester, 17% Viscose, 13% Nylon
- Comes in King and Standard size
- Designed for all styles of sleeper and all body types
- Price: $75 for Standard size, $95 for King size
- Made in the USA
- Included in Leesa’s One-Ten Program, one pillow will be donated for every ten sold
Who Might Choose Beyond Down Gel Fiber…
- People who prefer the feel of a down/down alternative pillow. Sleepers who have steadfastly fallen in love with the fluffy feel of down or its hypoallergenic cousin, polyester gel fiber pillow, the Beyond Down could “the one” when it comes to pillows. It’s a little overstuffed and can support side sleepers without going flat overnight.
- Those who are looking for the least expensive option. Shoppers will be delighted to know they can purchase this pillow at a variety of retailers, so prices tend to vary but in general they can expect to pay under $50 for each pillow (even King). While it’s not outrageous in comparison, the Standard size Leesa pillow retails for $75.
Who Might Choose Leesa…
- Sleepers prefer the feel of latex foam. The proprietary Avena foam inside the Leesa pillow has similar characteristics to a traditional latex foam pillow. Specifically, it’s got a quick response and is on the bouncier side (especially compared to a down alternative). It also won’t fall flat or change shape overnight.
- Shoppers who are feeling charitable: This particular pillow is part of Leesa’s One-Ten Program, which means one pillow will be donated for every ten pillows sold via the brand.
Who Might Choose Either…
- Side sleepers. Despite the differences in their fillings, I truly believe both of these pillows will be appealing to side sleepers and keep them sufficiently comfortable overnight. The Beyond Down pillow is inherently designed for side sleepers, with its huge gusset and overstuffed nature to promote support. The Avena foam in the Leesa pillow provides enough firmness and ensures that the pillow won’t go flat.
- Those with allergies. The good news is that both of these pillows are hypoallergenic – no need to worry about any allergic reactions with either of these pillows.
The good news for side sleepers is that comfort is achievable with both of these pillows, but the real decision will come down to personal preference. Down/Down alternative lovers who want to toss the whole pillow into the washer should consider the Beyond Down, while latex foam lovers should consider the Leesa.
Depending on where the Beyond Down pillow is purchased, customers may be able to return it if it’s not the right fit. The Leesa pillow comes with a 100-night trial period which helps to mitigate the financial risk.