At first glance, it appears that the Bear pillow from Bear Mattress and a personalized L Pillow don’t offer much in common. Perhaps it’s Bear pillow’s futuristic look and cool touch, or the L Pillow’s personalized take on a classic down alternative pillow. Either way, these pillows are incredibly different and will suit different sleepers. But it begs the question, do these two have in anything common? Read on for my full comparison.
- Traditional-shape pillows (pillowcases will work with either)
- Easy to care for; parts are machine washable and dryer friendly
- Both may work for side sleepers
- 100+ night trial/return periods
- Made with Double Ice Fabric: a special removable fabric that stays cool to the touch throughout the night
- A core is made with LOFT-X FOAM: a hybrid foam that combines memory foam and latex foam to contour to the spine and neck (100% polyurethane)
- Dual mesh side panels for continuous airflow throughout sleep
- Removable cover is machine washable and dryer friendly
- Free Shipping & 2 Year Warranty
- Queen ($95) and King ($115) sizes available
- Each pillow is made to order based on answers to three questions/preferences:
- The individual’s sleeping position
- Options: Back, Stomach, Side, and Multiple Positions
- Fabric preference
- Options: Quilted or Plain (Sateen)
- Preferred pillow thickness
- Options: Very Thin, Thin, Normal, Thick, Very Thick
- *An additional “notes” section in the Checkout section allows customers to add their weight and any additional injury/surgery or other details they might want.
- The individual’s sleeping position
- 400 thread count, 100% cotton
- Down alternative filling (Gel polyester fibers)
- Made in the USA
- Standard Size (20” x 26”)
- Double-stitched construction
- 100-night trial
- Care instructions: Gentle cold machine wash and low tumble dry. Pillow may need to be fluffed often, if not daily
Who Might Choose…
- Those who desire a molded foam core. The Bear pillow is a solid piece of ventilated LOFT-X foam, which means it will hold its shape all night long. It won’t fall flat either, so no fluffing necessary.
- Sleepers who prefer a performance fabric to 100% cotton. The cover of this pillow has a unique feel – it’s cool to the touch. It’s made with something called “Double Ice fabric” and has an almost athletic-wear feel to it (kind of slippery). Even with a pillowcase over it, sleepers will most likely still feel the strongly textured material underneath.
- Hot sleepers. The Bear pillow is really all about keeping a person cool. The solid foam piece inside is ventilated to promote airflow and the cool yarn is woven into the Double Ice fabric really is cool to the touch.
- Those who dig personalization. With the L Pillow, customers get to choose the thickness and cover texture; sleepers should tell the brand their primary sleep position, as well. There is a place to put notes and tell them more about one’s sleep preferences, so the team of creators can work to design a pillow unique to the customer.
- Those who lean toward a down alternative over foam. All L Pillows are filled with polyester fibers for a down alternative feel. It’s cozy but some individuals will need to fluff the pillow in the dryer on occasion to maintain the same support level.
- Shoppers on a budget. The L Pillow comes in one standard size for $50. This is almost half the price of the Queen-size Bear pillow that retails for $95. If it comes down to choosing between the two and on a budget, L Pillow may be the way to go.
- Side sleepers. The Bear Pillow has a 5″ height profile, making it a good height for side sleepers who usually need a little bit of loft and support to achieve neutral head, neck and spinal alignment. Likewise, if side sleepers have the ability to customize the L Pillow for as much support and firmness as the person prefers.
We’ve covered numerous points and details about each pillow but the biggest differences between these two brings us to the core… we mean the pillow’s cores. The big differentiation between the foam and down alternative fillings dictates who is going to prefer each pillow and why. Bear’s pillow is a solid piece of ventilated LOFT-X foam that will be best suited for hot sleepers and side sleepers. Meanwhile, L Pillows customizes their down alternative pillows to meet one’s specific sleep needs -the possibilities aren’t limitless but options abound.
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- How Genetics Impact Our Sleep - March 23, 2020
- Amerisleep Comfort Classic Pillow Review – The Perfect Foam Pillow? - March 20, 2020
- Best Cotton Sheets – Tried and Tested! - March 3, 2020