Protect-A-Bed’s AllerZip Smooth Mattress Encasement is great for people who have sensitivities and need serious protection against allergens. It is also waterproof and bed bug proof as well. This review will highlight everything consumers need to know to decide if this is the right mattress protector for them.
Check Price On Amazon
- Encasement mattress with 6-Sided Miracle Membrane® barrier that prevents mold, mildew, dust mites, pet dander, and pollen
- Waterproof mattress cover protects against stains and fluids
- 100% polyester sleep surface
- 100% polyurethane laminate lining (waterproof barrier)
- Certified Asthma and Allergy Friendly™ by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA)
- Certified bed bug proof
- Categorized as an FDA Class 1 Medical Device
- Care: Machine wash hot and tumble dry medium; wash and dry with other linens
- Multiple sizes available, including sofa protectors
- Two depths to choose from (6-inch or 9-inch)
- 10-year warranty
- All six sides of the mattress are protected
- Certified asthma and allergy friendly
- Soft and virtually noiseless material
- Multiple sizes and options for different mattress thicknesses
- Machine wash and dryer friendly
- Not 100% breathable from my experience (woke up hot)
- Difficult to put on/take off alone
Protect-A-Bed’s AllerZip smooth encasement mattress protector is intended to protect the mattress from nearly everything, including liquid stains and damage.
It’s very common for a mattress warranty to be voided for stains or other issues called by fluids or water, so choosing a mattress protector that has waterproof properties is always a good investment.
To test the waterproof capabilities of the protector, I poured 10 ozs of water directly onto the center of the protector.
This procedure is done for all mattress protector reviews (waterproof ones, at least!) to ensure it can handle what might be a realistic amount of liquid from a large spill or accident.
I leave the water on the protector for a couple of hours, which is what might happen if someone has an accident overnight.
The water seemed to spread out pretty far on the surface of my protector. There was some wetness down the sides even but fortunately, nothing leaked! The protector completely passed the waterproof test.
Noise: The polyester fabric of the encasement protector does give it a very smooth feeling and not much “crinkling” sound or noise that can sometimes accompany waterproof protectors.
Size: Since mattresses come in all different sizes and depths, I really like that Protect-A-Bed offers two depth options to best fit the mattress.
- 6-inch option fits mattresses 4 to 8-inches deep
- 9 -inch option fits mattresses 7 to 12-inches deep
I have a 10-inch mattress and used the 9-inch size option. It fit really well on the mattress and I had no trouble getting it on or off the mattress when needed.
Since it fit well, there was less extra material that could rustle around or slide when I moved in bed.
Breathability: I did wake up a little hot on the nights I used this mattress protector. I can’t point to what exactly causes the build up of heat. Previous mattress protectors with terry cloth surfaces that I’ve reviewed, like the Luna, Linenspa or Defend-A-Bed, were fine and left me comfortable overnight.
Extras: There are small ties that come with the encasement that allow people to fully close the protector around the mattress to completely prevent bed bugs. There are also detailed setup instructions on the packaging as well.
There were very few negative reviews about the protector. On both Amazon and Protect-A-Bed’s website, the biggest negatives were either customer service issues or issues navigating the website and understanding the product options.
Most people seem happy with their purchase, although one customer had an issue with extra material and found that it wrinkled under her sheets. This was not my experience and I would encourage people to make sure they pick the correct depth from the two options available so they can get the closest fit to the mattress.
Price and Value
The Protect-A-Bed’s AllerZip encasement mattress protector will cost nearly $130 for a Queen sized protector (with a 9-inch depth). This is around $100 more than the Sleep Defense System encasement protector I’ve also reviewed. It is also available for closer to $100 on Amazon.
I think the protector is good quality and a lot of thought, testing and certifications have gone into producing it so that it really is allergy and asthma friendly and bed bug proof.
If people had serious allergies and needed to make sure that the mattress was protected, I would definitely consider this protector.
For people who don’t have allergens and/or bed bugs are not an issue and want a protector that was intended to just keep spills and accidents off my mattress, a more affordable protector may be more appropriate.