EDITOR’S NOTE: Hey, friend! You made it all this way and narrowed your options down to these two mattresses. Unfortunately, both the Tempur-Contour Elite and Rhapsody Luxe mattresses are no longer available. But, keep calm! You can rest assured that Tempur-Pedic’s Tempur-Cloud mattress would be a great option for you.
Still want to know which mattress would have been best for you? Read on below to see what we had to say about them!
Tempur-Contour Elite vs. Rhapsody Luxe Mattress Overview
Two popular models from the Tempur-Pedic Contour collection are the Tempur-Contour Elite and Tempur-Contour Rhapsody Luxe. They are very similar mattresses with just a few subtle differences.
In this Tempur-Contour Elite vs Rhapsody Luxe comparison, I’ll do my best to list out the few things you might want to consider if you are deciding between these two mattresses!
- Both use the TEMPUR-HD (HD means high-density) material in the comfort layer
- Both are quite firm
- Both conform very well to the body
- Both do well for back pain
- The comfort layer of the Rhapsody Luxe is .8” thicker than the Elite
- The Rhapsody Luxe is 1” thicker than the Elite is overall (14.5” vs 13.5”)
- The Rhapsody Luxe is very slightly softer than the Elite is
- The Rhapsody Luxe costs $500 more than the Elite does
Find Current Prices on Tempur-Pedic’s Website
Because the comfort layer is .8” thicker in the Rhapsody Luxe, that mattress is a bit softer and it conforms to your body a little more. The difference will be pretty subtle, however.
What I Found from Several Live Chat Sessions
I thought it would be interesting to see what the company representatives would say about the difference between the two mattresses via a live chat session. I did the same with Mattress Firm as well.
The only info I could get was that the Rhapsody has more TEMPUR-HD material, is thicker overall, and costs more. I couldn’t really get any info at all on what type of person would want to get one mattress over the other.
Which Should You Pick?
- Pick the Elite if you want a little more value (it is my opinion that the 1” difference in thickness does not quite justify a $500 price difference)
- Pick the Elite if you want something very firm and sleep on your back or stomach
- Pick the Rhapsody Luxe if you can afford the $500 premium
- Pick the Rhapsody Luxe if you want a more medium firm mattress
- Pick the Rhapsody Luxe if you ever sleep on your side at any point in the night
My Personal Opinion
The two mattresses are in the same range of firmness, but the Rhapsody Luxe will be softer for you, so if you sleep on your side at any point during the night, that model may be the better way to go.
I don’t personally think the 1” difference in thickness justifies a $500 price difference, but if you can afford it and want a slightly softer the mattress, then the Rhapsody Luxe is the way to go. Otherwise, the Elite might be the better value.
Make sure to take a look at my overall Tempur-Pedic reviews page.