Serta created the Perfect Sleeper line with the help of the National Sleep Foundation. With these mattresses, their main goal was to combat issues such as sleeping hot, partner disturbance, and lack of support.
The Hillgate 3 Series Cushion Firm Pillow Top is a hybrid mattress that incorporates a cooling gel foam and individually wrapped coils. The mattress is designed for a balance of comfort and support.
Will you sleep comfortably and cool on this mattress? Read on for our full review.
You Will Like This Mattress If …
- You are a back sleeper. This mattress is near the middle of Serta’s firmness scale. Medium-firm mattresses are often best for back sleepers. This mattress should support you well if you sleep primarily in this position.
- You are a side sleeper who prefers a firmer mattress. While it may be a little firm for some side sleepers, a number of reviews suggest this mattress is a good pick for side sleepers and doesn’t exacerbate hip, knee, or shoulder pain. If you are a side sleeper who prefers a little more firmness, this could be a good fit for you.
- You are a hot sleeper. The mattress’s gel foam is designed to dissipate heat, and the individually wrapped coils promote airflow throughout the mattress. You shouldn’t be sleeping hot on this mattress.
You May Not Like This Mattress If …
- You are a stomach sleeper who needs more support. While this mattress may be firm enough for some stomach sleepers, some may need more support when sleeping in this position. If this is the case with you, you might consider a firmer mattress in the Perfect Sleeper line.
- You are a side sleeper who prefers a softer mattress. This mattress promises decent pressure relief, but it may be too firm for some. If you sleep primarily on your side and need more pressure relief, you might want to look at a softer mattress.
Construction And Materials
The Hillgate 3 Series Cushion Firm Pillow Top mattress is approximately 13.25” high and contains:
- FireBlocker® Fiber
- Cool Twist® Gel Foam
- Serta® Support Foam
- 739 Custom Support® Firm Individually Wrapped Coil System
- Total Edge® Foam Encasement
Firmness And Feel
This mattress is near the middle of Serta’s firmness scale, skewing toward the softer side. Medium-firm mattresses are usually a good option for back sleepers or for side sleepers who are looking for a firmer mattress.
Most Common Pieces Of Praise: What Makes This Mattress Stand Out?
- Buyers are pleased with the level of support and comfort the mattress provides. “It is very good for a person who wants a firm mattress, yet needs some cushioning for the shoulder and hip,” a reviewer wrote.
- People say the temperature control technology works well, so they don’t overheat in their sleep.
Most Common Complaints And Other Things to Note
- Some buyers say the mattress starts to sag after a few weeks or months of use. “This one started out great, and 1.5 months into it, it already sagged SO much in the middle,” a reviewer wrote.
- Some people say the mattress doesn’t have good motion transfer control, so they are easily disturbed by their partner moving around at night. “It says it is supposed to reduce movement from your partner and it does not at all,” one review says.
- Though the mattress has Total Edge® Foam Encasement, people report that the edges may not be firm enough. “When trying to sleep, it feels like I am about to [roll] off,” one reviewer wrote.
- According to a few buyers, the mattress can take some time to break in and feel soft. One buyer wrote: “Even though it’s a pillow top, this mattress is hard as a rock. We’ve had it for a week now (It took over 3 weeks for delivery) and it hasn’t softened up any.”
Why Pick This Over Other Serta Models?
This model is a hybrid mattress. Serta also offers memory foam mattresses and innerspring mattresses. This offers the support and contouring of springs and the and hybrid innerspring coil and memory foam mattresses.
This mattress is medium-firm. This makes it a good fit for a variety of sleeping positions. Serta offers both firmer and softer mattress options.
The Hillgate 3 Series Cushion Firm Pillow Top mattress is approximately 13.25” high and contains FireBlocker® Fiber, Cool Twist® Gel Foam, Serta® Support Foam, 739 Custom Support® Firm Individually Wrapped Coil System, and Total Edge® Foam Encasement.
This mattress is toward the middle of the firmness scale. It may be too soft for stomach sleepers, but back sleepers and some side sleepers may find this mattress to be a nice fit.
All images from Serta
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- Tuft & Needle Mint Vs. Casper Mattress Comparison – Which Is Best For You? - September 12, 2019
- Best Memory Foam Mattress Toppers – Which Is The One For You? - September 11, 2019
- Cushion Lab Calm Embrace Weighted Blanket Review – Will It Help You Sleep Better? - September 10, 2019