Helix and Tempur-Pedic are two very different companies that have seen success with different philosophies and business models. As Helix has grown in popularity since it launched a couple of years ago, people are starting to wonder how it compares to Tempur-Pedic and its line of mattresses. I’ll go over those differences here to try to help you make a more informed decision.
- Both are good choices for couples
- Both companies believe there is no one best mattress for everyone
- Helix sells online-only, while Tempur-Pedic mainly sells through retail stores
- Helix sells one mattress, which is customizable; Tempur-Pedic has a full line of mattress catered to different feels and firmness levels
- The key component of the Tempur-Pedic mattress comfort layers is memory foam, while Helix uses microcoils and a specialty polyfoam
- The foam used in the Helix is faster-responding than the foam used in the Tempur-Pedic mattresses (with the possible exception of the Flex collection)
- Helix sells its mattress for less than any of the Tempur-Pedic mattresses
Main Construction/Feel Difference
The biggest difference in feel comes from Tempur-Pedic using memory foam in its comfort layer versus Helix using a specialty “dynamic” polyfoam and microcoils in its comfort layer. With Tempur-Pedic, people will slowly sink into the mattress. If people move around, the foam takes a bit of time to re-adapt to their new position. With Helix, the foam moves around immediately with people, and they have a more “on-the-mattress” feel.
Which feel is better really just comes down to one’s personal preference.
You Might Want To Pick Helix If:
- You Don’t Know Exactly What You Want– If someone isn’t sure the feel or firmness that they want, then the customization test Helix puts them through can take care of all the work for them.
- You Want A Split Mattress– If someone sleeps with a partner who has very different preferences than they do, then the split option Helix provides can be a great choice for them.
- You Want A More Responsive Mattress– The use of specialty “dynamic” foam makes the Helix more responsive and fast-moving than Tempur-Pedic mattresses
- You Are On A Budget– Helix’s online-only business model allows them to price their mattress at a much lower level than any of the Tempur-Pedic mattresses. If someone is on a budget, they can probably get a little more value from Helix for this reason.
You Might Want To Pick Tempur-Pedic If:
- You Want A Slower-Moving Memory Foam Feel– Tempur-Pedic is known for its memory foam feel, so if that is what people are looking for, it’s definitely the way to go.
- You Want To Try The Mattress Out Ahead Of Time– It’s difficult to know what the Helix will feel like because it’s completely customized to each individual. With Tempur-Pedic, people can go to a store and get a good sense of how they will like it.
- You Want To Buy From A Long-Established Company– Tempur-Pedic has been around for decades. This means people can benefit from thousands of reviews of people who have had their mattress for years.
Both Options Are Good For Couples
Tempur-Pedic mattresses are good for couples because the memory foam does a great job of isolating motion. That means when someone’s partner moves around, they typically won’t be able to feel it.
Helix is a great option for couples because people can customize each side of the bed. That means if someone and their partner have very different preferences, they won’t have a problem because they can just customize each side of the bed to their individual needs.
Tempur-Pedic mainly sells its mattresses through retail stores. Helix sells directly online, and as a result cuts out the middleman in the process and is able to price its product much lower. For this reason, one could argue that they get more value from the Helix mattress (it has made our best mattress list).
Related: Best Mattress For The Money
Both are great companies that present very different options. The differences should be clear, so take a look through what I’ve written and hopefully people will be able to make a good decision.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.