Brentwood Home’s Cedar mattress is as eco-friendly as it gets when it comes to online mattresses. It’s filled with organic materials, including all natural latex layers designed with comfort, pressure relief and breathability in mind. What else should you know about it? Read on for my full review.
- 13″ mattress profile
- Eco-friendly materials: natural latex, organic cotton, and organic coconut husk
- Features a unique layer of grooved latex that’s computer designed and cut into targeted zones (learn more on that HERE)
- Made in California
- 120-night guarantee
- 25-year warranty
- Medium firmness level
- Pressure relief focused on hips and shoulders and extra support for your lower back
- Works on all surfaces including adjustable beds and box springs
Who Makes it?
The Cedar mattress is made by Brentwood Home, a Los Angeles-based mattress and home essentials company that has been around (in some form) for more than 30 years. The people behind the brand started out making products for other companies but created Brentwood Home and started selling directly to consumers in 2012.
Their focus is on making products with healthy and ethically sourced materials. They make mattresses and bedding essentials like pillows, sheet, and quilts. They also have products for babies, kids, and pets, including nursing pillows and pet beds.
- Organic Cotton Cover: Brentwood Home says their organic cotton cover is hand-tufted to secure layers without chemical adhesives. It’s pesticide free, eco-friendly, and quilted with a natural fire barrier of hydrated silica sand.
- Organic Cotton Fiber Quilting: Fiber quilting is used in place of foam in the quilted panels and borders of the mattress.
- New Zealand Wool: Untreated New Zealand wool is used to wick away moisture and allows for air circulation and temperature regulation.
- 2-Inch All Natural Latex Layer: The latex is made with the energy efficient Dunlop process; it’s available in a medium feel and made with natural latex and free of synthetic ingredients. Density: 4.0lb/ft3
- 2-inch Grooved All Natural Latex: The second layer is all natural latex layer but computer designed and cut into three targeted zones for increased airflow and enhanced comfort to your lower back, legs, and shoulders. This latex layer is also made with the Dunlop process.
- All Natural Flaxseed Fiber Pad: An all natural layer of flaxseed fibers to separate latex and coils.
- 8-inch Individually Wrapped Coils: A layer of individually wrapped coils for precise body contouring for optimal support. There are reinforced coils in the lumbar region to give your lower back more support and edge retention coils to promote edge support. The springs are isolated to help reduce noise, motion transfer, and partner disturbance.
- 1-inch Coconut Husk Support Layer: Instead of a more traditional foam base, Brentwood Home uses an eco-friendly and sustainable layer of organic coconut husk. They say that the husk is typically discarded as waste but they repurpose it for its circulation and antimicrobial properties.
See how the Cedar compares to other natural latex mattresses HERE.
|Size||Mattress Dimensions||Shipping Box Size||Shipping Weight|
|Twin||75"L X 39"W X 13"H||19"L X 19"W X 48"H||80lbs|
|Twin XL||80"L X 39"W X 13"H||9"L X 19"W X 48"H||90lbs|
|Full||75"L X 54"W X 13"H||9"L X 19"W X 48"H||115lbs|
|Queen||80"L X 60"W X 13"H||9"L X 19"W X 48"H||135lbs|
|King||80"L X 76"W X 13"H||9"L X 19"W X 48"H||170lbs|
|CA King||84"L X 72"W X 13"H||9"L X 19"W X 48"H||170lbs|
|Split King||80"L X 39"W X 13"H (x2)||9"L X 19"W X 48"H||175lbs|
Who Might Want To Pick the Cedar Mattress?
- Eco-friendly materials are important to you. This is truly a green mattress that incorporates organic materials, natural latex and even materials that are usually discarded as waste. Brentwood Home says it’s the most natural mattress you’ll find online – made with no pesticides, toxins, or harmful chemicals.
- Want a hybrid mattress (foam and spring). This mattress combines two great materials – foam and coils – and puts them together in a way that provides comfort, pressure relief, and support. The mattress has two natural latex foam layers (4″ total) and a layer of 8” individually wrapped coils.
- You want a latex foam bed that works for couples. Latex is known for being supportive but responsive – something that is not advantageous to couples who are easily disturbed. Brentwood Home goes after the issue with this mattress by creating a specially constructed second latex layer and isolates coils that should help with motion transfer (and pressure relief).
Who Might Not Want To Pick This Mattress?
- People who love the feel of memory foam mattresses. With all natural latex and coil layers, your body won’t sink into this mattress the way it would with a memory foam bed. It is still comfortable and supportive but with more responsiveness to it.
- People on a budget. This mattress is not a guest room mattress, it’s a high-quality bed made with ethically sourced materials that will last you awhile, and is priced accordingly. A Queen size mattress will run you around $1,795.
Latex mattresses are supportive but very responsive and can sometimes have a “bouncy” feel. This can be frustrating for couples who find themselves easily disturbed when one partner moves in bed.
Brentwood Home utilized customer feedback to come up with some ways to reduce motion transfer, including a specially designed and cut latex layers and isolated spring coils. From the video, you can see that despite the responsive foam, the motion transfer is pretty good.
The mattress is made with a medium firmness, that Brentwood Homes says is a “sweet spot” for most sleepers. Based on my experience, I do think that it is truly a medium firmness mattress and the latex is responsive but not too bouncy.
There are reinforced coils around the edge of the mattress that are there to help keep the sides of the mattress supportive, so you can sleep right to the edge and use as much surface area as you can.
From the video, you can see that the edge support is great. I could really feel the coils supporting me when I sat on the edge of the mattress.
Returns and Warranty
The mattress comes with a 120-night sleep guarantee. Brentwood Home recommends you sleep on the mattress for at least 30 days. After that time, if you are not happy with it, someone will come to pick it up and you will receive a full refund.
The Cedar mattress also comes with a 25 year limited warranty. You should read the fine print for all details, but mattress warranties tend to cover issues with defective parts or workmanship issues.
In this specific warranty, the first 10 years of ownership, the original purchaser will be fully covered if anything happens (that is qualified under the Limited Warranty fine print). During years 11-25 of the warranty, Brentwood Home will replace the mattress at a prorated charge to the purchaser and it will be determined the year it needs to be replaced.
There are, of course, more details associated with this warranty so make sure you read them all to see what qualifies you in terms of both returns and warranties.
The all natural materials and thoughtful design really make this mattress stand out. I think Brentwood Home did a good job of taking feedback from customers and addressing the main pain points of natural latex mattresses and focused their design on comfort, pressure relief, and motion transfer.
For the price, I think Brentwood Home’s eco-friendly Cedar mattress is a good value. The organic materials used are high quality, which increases the durability and overall lifespan of the mattress (so you know you won’t need to replace it anytime soon).
The design – specifically the hybrid of coils and two all natural latex foam layers – is really unique and Brentwood Home does a good job of showing how nearly every piece of the mattress is designed to meet a specific need.