If you have narrowed down your mattress search to the Bear and Nectar mattresses, you may have a tough time deciding between them. On the surface, they appear quite similar.
However, if we look more closely, there are some key differences. I have broken these two mattresses down based on their construction, firmness, and who I think would benefit from each mattress.
Which mattress is the right fit for you? Read on for my full comparison.
- They have similar firmnesses.
- They have similar base layers.
- They both have memory foam in their top layer.
- The Bear is thinner than the Nectar.
- The comfort layer is thicker in the Nectar.
- The Bear has a balanced foam feel, and the Nectar has a classic memory foam feel.
- The Nectar is cheaper than the Bear.
- The Bear has Celliant woven into its cover, but the Nectar does not.
- The mattress is 10” tall.
- The cover is soft and is woven together with Celliant.
- First, there is a 1.5” layer of graphite-gel memory foam.
- This is followed by 1” of a latex-like comfort foam.
- Next, there is 1” of a transitional performance foam.
- Finally, the base layer is 6.5” of a high-density support foam.
- The mattress is 11” tall.
- The cover is soft and woven together with Tencel fabric. There is 1” of gel memory foam quilted into it.
- Next, there is a 3” layer of a soft, slow-responding, gel memory foam.
- Then, there is around 1” of a foam transition layer.
- Finally, the base layer is around 6” thick.
- Bear has Celliant woven into its cover which should help with cooling. The Nectar has 1” of gel memory foam quilted into the cover. This adds some softness and another level of pressure relief.
- You have a thick layer of soft memory foam on top of the Nectar. This gives the mattress more of a classic memory foam feel. It will feel more like sleeping “in” the mattress.
- You have a thinner layer of soft memory foam on top of the Bear. There are transition layers right beneath this which keep you from sinking in too far. It should be easier to move around on the Bear, and you shouldn’t get “stuck” in the mattress.
- Bear should be more breathable, so you shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the mattress.
For me, the Bear felt like a 6.5/10 in terms of firmness and the Nectar felt like a 6/10. The Nectar feels firmer at first but it softens up after I lie on it for a bit.
On my back, I feel well supported. I especially feel the Nectar conform to my body and the foam presses up into my lumbar area.
Moving to my side, I feel better pressure relief on the Nectar. I would say that both mattresses could be decent for side sleepers, but I definitely felt less pressure on my shoulders and hips when I was on the Nectar.
On my stomach, I didn’t get the best support on either mattress. I think they are both too soft for most stomach sleepers but the Bear, being firmer, is a bit more supportive in that position.
In terms of feel, the Bear has a balanced foam feel, and the Nectar has a classic memory foam feel. I sink into the Bear a just bit, but I am held up by the firmer layers beneath. It is easier to move around on the mattress, but there is little bounce.
With the Nectar, I slowly sink into the mattress and get that slow, quicksandy compression. There is also little to no bounce on this mattress.
You can see my thoughts on the balanced foam feel of the Bear in the video below.
In the video below, watch how the Nectar slowly responds to pressure. You can see how it has that slow, quicksand feel.
Motion Isolation Differences
Between the two mattresses, the Nectar performs better with motion isolation. During my tests, I saw little to no disturbance of the glass. I also had Marten move around on the other side of the mattress, and I barely felt his movements on my side of the mattress.
I think this is because you have such a thick layer of memory foam on the Nectar. It cuts down on that motion transfer very well. I believe the Nectar is the better mattress for couples.
Watch how the Bear handles motion transfer in the video below.
Watch how well the Nectar mattress isolates motion. You can really see the memory foam working to cut down on motion transfer.
Edge Support Differences
Since Nectar is the softer of the two mattresses, I thought it wouldn’t have the better edge support. I was surprised how I felt more secure sitting near the edge of the Nectar. I also felt less like I was going to roll off when I was lying near the edge.
You can see the edge support differences in the photos below. See how the Bear collapses when I sit on the edge of the mattress.
Look at how the Nectar collapses less. I clearly look more secure as I sit on the edge of this mattress.
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type than me: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about these two mattresses:
In terms of firmness, I said the Bear was a 7/10, and the Nectar was a 6/10 in terms of firmness.
When I’m on my back on the Bear, I feel good overall support. When I’m on my side, I feel some pressure on my shoulders and hips. When I’m on my stomach, I need more support. I am bowing in at my hips.
Moving to the Nectar, I feel even better support when I am on my back. I feel the foam pressing up into my lumbar area. On my side, I feel a bit of pressure at first, but it slowly melts away. I feel little pressure on my shoulders and hips. On my stomach, I do need more support. I am bowing in at my hips.
If you’re a heavier back sleeper, both could work, but the Nectar is a bit more supportive in this position. If you’re a heavier side sleeper, I would also lean toward the Nectar. Finally, if you’re a heavier stomach sleeper, both might be too soft for you.
Even though Marten is heavier, he and I seem to agree that the Bear is the firmer of the two mattresses. He also thought the Nectar was better at relieving pressure when he was on his side. Given his size, I am not surprised that neither mattress gave him the support he needed on his stomach.
Pick Bear If:
- You prefer a bit firmer mattress. While these mattresses are close in terms of firmness, the Bear is definitely the firmer of the two.
- You like a balanced foam feel. If you don’t want to sink into your mattress and prefer sleeping on top of, the Bear is the better choice for you. It is more responsive and easier to move around on than the Nectar.
- You sleep on your back or stomach. Because this is the firmer mattress, it should offer a bit better support than the Nectar. If you sleep primarily on your back or stomach, this could be the better mattress for you.
Pick Nectar If:
- You prefer a bit softer mattress. This is the softer of the two mattresses so, if you want something nearer to the soft end of the spectrum, the Nectar is the better bet.
- You are a side sleeper. This mattress has more memory foam, and I felt less pressure on my shoulders and hips. If sleep primarily on your side, you should get better pressure relief on the Nectar.
- You like a classic memory foam feel. If you like to slowly sink into your mattress and prefer the feeling of sleeping “in” the mattress, the Nectar is probably a better choice.
Even though these mattresses appear very similar, they are fit for different sleepers and preferences. If you sleep on your back, stomach, or prefer a balanced foam feel, the Bear is the better choice. If you sleep on your side or prefer a classic memory foam feel, the Nectar is the way to go. Please leave any specific comments or questions about the Bear or the Nectar in the comment section below.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Beautyrest Black Online Mattress Review – Luxury Comfort And Support? - November 19, 2019
- Zinus Vs AmazonBasics Comparison – Which Online Mattress Wins Out? - November 11, 2019
- AmazonBasics Memory Foam Mattress Review – A Comfortable Value? - November 8, 2019