If you’re in the market for an all-natural latex mattress, you have undoubtedly come across the Avocado, Zenhaven, and Brentwood Home Cedar mattresses. They are three of the most popular latex mattresses out there and are all very high-quality.
How do you choose between them? They all appear very similar, so making a decision might be difficult.
I have the information you need to find the right latex mattress for you. Which will it be: the Avocado, the Zenhaven, or the Cedar? Read on for my full comparison.
- They all feature high-quality components.
- They incorporate all-natural latex in their construction.
- They are all durable, longer-lasting mattresses.
- They are very supportive mattresses.
- They are all bouncy mattresses.
- The Avocado and Cedar have button tufting on top, while the Zenhaven does not.
- The Avocado and Cedar have a fluffier top than the Zenhaven.
- The Zenhaven features Talalay latex, while the Avocado and Cedar feature Dunlop latex.
- The Avocado and Cedar have coils in their construction, while the Zenhaven does not.
- The Zenhaven is bouncier than the other two mattresses.
- The Zenhaven is flippable, while the other two are not.
- The Avocado can come with or without a pillow-top. The Cedar does not have this option.
- The Avocado with pillow-top is 13” tall.
- The cover is button tufted and made of cotton. It also contains wool and 2” of natural Dunlop latex.
- Next, there is another 2” Dunlop latex comfort layer followed by a 1” latex support layer.
- Finally, there are 8” of pocketed coils.
Check out the full Avocado mattress review.
- The mattress is 10” tall.
- The cover is made from soft, organic cotton.
- Starting on the Luxury Plush side and moving down, the first layer is made of flame-retardant wool.
- The next layer is 1.5” of Luxury Plush Talalay latex. This layer is zoned.
- Then, there are 3” of a Talalay latex Plush base layer.
- Next, there are 3” of a Talalay latex Firm base layer.
- This is followed by a 1.5” layer of Gentle Firm Talalay latex.
- The final layer is another flame-retardant wool layer and the same knitted, soft cover.
Check out the full Zenhaven mattress review.
- The mattress is 13” tall.
- The cover is cotton and quilted with wool.
- Then, there is a 2” layer of all-natural, Dunlop latex.
- Next, there are 2” of convoluted Dunlop Latex.
- Then, there are 8” of individually-wrapped support coils.
- Finally, the base is 1” and made of coconut husk.
Read the full Cedar mattress review.
- With the Avocado, you can choose to add a pillow-top or not. This adds another 2” of latex.
- Both the Avocado and Cedar have tufted pillow-tops. This gives both mattresses a somewhat fluffy feel. Without the tufted top, the Zenhaven feels a bit bouncier.
- The Zenhaven is flippable. One side is a bit softer than the other. You can turn the mattress over to choose your preference between two different firmnesses.
- The Cedar, unlike the Zenhaven and Avocado, only comes with one firmness option.
- The Avocado and Cedar feature coils in their construction. This means they might be a bit more supportive for heavier people than the Zenhaven.
- The Zenhaven uses Talalay latex, and the Avocado and Cedar use Dunlop latex. There aren’t any major differences between the two types.
These three mattresses are quite close in terms of firmness. To me, the Avocado and Cedar both feel like a 6.5/10, which is close to medium-firm. The Zenhaven has two sides and two firmnesses. I think the Luxury Plush side feels like a 6.5/10 and the Gentle Firm side feels like a 7/10.
While these mattresses have similar firmnesses, they might be a better match for different types of sleepers.
Here was my experience on each of these mattresses:
- While sleeping on the Avocado, I feel nice support when I am on my back. Moving to my side, I feel good pressure relief on my shoulders and hips. Out of these three mattresses, I feel the Avocado’s soft pillow-top offers the best pressure relief. However, when I move to my stomach, the mattress is a bit too soft for me.
- On the Zenhaven, I also feel well supported on my back. When I am side sleeping, I feel some pressure on my shoulders and hips. Even on the Luxury Plush side, there is some pressure there. However, when I am stomach sleeping, the Zenhaven really shines. Especially on the Gentle Firm side, I feel great support stomach sleeping, and my hips don’t bow in.
- Moving to the Cedar mattress, I feel great when I am on my back. My hips sink into the pillow-top, and the mattress conforms to the curves of my body. Most back sleepers should prefer the Cedar. While I feel some decent pressure relief on my side, the Avocado still performs better in this regard. Finally, the mattress is too soft when I am on my stomach.
These three mattresses have a similar bouncy feel. However, the Avocado and Cedar have pillow-tops, so they have a bit of fluffy softness on top. The Zenhaven, having no pillow-top, feels a bit bouncier.
See more of what I thought of Avocado’s feel in the video below.
Now, compare this to my thoughts on the Zenhaven.
And see more of my feelings about the Cedar.
Motion Transfer Differences
When it comes to handling motion transfer, latex is not the best. While I did see some motion transfer on these three mattresses, I saw less on the Avocado and Cedar. I think the pillow-top on the Avocado and Cedar helps absorb some of the movement.
If you sleep with a partner, you should feel less of their movements on the Avocado and Cedar. If you go with the Zenhaven, you could be disturbed by your partner’s movements.
See how the Avocado handles motion transfer in the video below.
Watch how Zenhaven performs with motion transfer.
Finally, compare this to motion transfer on the Cedar mattress.
Edge Support Differences
If you sleep with a partner, it is also worth considering how much of the mattress you can really utilize. Can you securely sit or lie down near the edge of your mattress?
When it comes to edge support, the Avocado and Cedar perform better. This is mainly because of their coils. Without coils, the Zenhaven collapses more than the Avocado and Cedar. I feel more stable while sitting down on the edges of the Avocado and Cedar. Also, while lying down, I feel less like I am going to roll off.
You can see the edge support differences in the photos below.
Marten is a staff writer for us. He has a much different body type than me: He is 6’7″ and weighs about 230 lb; I am 5’9″ and 160 lb. Here is what he thought about these mattresses:
These are all very supportive mattresses, and they are also very durable. So they are able to support a heavier person like me, and they are also going to last a good amount of time.
The Zenhaven is a good match for me when I am on my stomach. Using the firmer side of the mattress, my hips don’t bow in, and I feel very well supported.
The Avocado was the better fit when I was side sleeping. I’m feeling some nice pressure relief on my shoulders and hips.
If I had to choose a mattress for heavier back sleepers, I would lean toward the Cedar.
It seems that Marten had a very similar experience to me on these three mattresses. Even for someone of his weight, he also thought the Avocado was better for side sleeping.
However, it is worth noting that people larger than Marten might feel more firmness on their shoulders and hips. At the same time, even larger people will probably agree that the Zenhaven is best for stomach sleeping and the Cedar is best for back sleeping.
Pick Zenhaven If …
- You prefer a bouncy mattress. While all three mattresses have some bounce, the Zenhaven is the most bouncy. It is very responsive, so it is very easy to move around on the Zenhaven.
- You are a stomach sleeper. If you are looking for a mattress to support you when you’re on your stomach, the Zenhaven should be the right choice. It has two sides, and the firmer side should support stomach sleepers of many weights.
- You want multiple firmness options. The Zenhaven is flippable, so it offers two firmnesses in one mattress. These sides are fairly close in terms of firmness, but the mattress’s flippable nature allows you to slightly vary how much support you’re getting.
RELATED: Best Mattress
Pick Avocado If …
- You are a side sleeper. If you sleep primarily on your side, the Avocado should be your best choice. I personally felt very nice while side sleeping on the Avocado. The tufted pillow-top relieved pressure very well, and I felt little pressure on my shoulders and hips. Also, looking at the pressure map results, the Avocado did perform the best.
- You are a lightweight sleeper. If you are a lighter person, the Avocado should feel very comfortable to you. The pillow-top is plush, but as long as you don’t weigh too much, you shouldn’t press through it and feel the firmer layers beneath.
Pick Cedar If …
- You are a back sleeper. If you sleep on your back, the Cedar is a great choice. The pillow-top allows your hips to sink in just the right amount, and the latex and coils beneath provide good overall support.
- You are a larger person. The Cedar should be the most supportive mattress for larger people. If you are a heavier person, the Cedar should be able to support you in a number of positions. It is a close call between the Cedar and the Avocado, but the Cedar should be more supportive.
If you consider the information above, it shouldn’t be too difficult to choose between these mattresses. In many ways, it all boils down to this:
- The Avocado is a better bet for side sleepers and lightweight sleepers.
- The Zenhaven should be a better fit for stomach sleepers who like a bouncy mattress.
- Finally, the Cedar should work for back sleepers and larger people.
Please leave any questions about these mattresses in the comments below!
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Bear Pro Vs Bear Mattress Comparison – Which Bear Wins Out? - October 17, 2019
- Bear Pro Mattress Review – Professionally Comfortable? - October 16, 2019
- Best Cheap Mattresses – Save Some Money! - October 7, 2019