The Beyond Down Gel Fiber pillow is designed for the side sleepers out there. Fun fact, side sleepers make up more than half of the adult American population – isn’t that wild? Meanwhile, the Good Life Essentials pillow is filled with pieces of proprietary shredded memory foam for a distinct and supportive feel. In their own right, each pillow offers a good amount of support – so who are they going to work for? Watch my in-depth video or read on for my full comparison of these pillows.
- Traditional shape
- Variety of sizes (Standard, Queen, and King)
- Both pillows are washable/dry-able
- Could be good for back and side sleepers (those who want loft and support)
- The filling is not accessible in either
Beyond Down Gel Fiber Pillow:
- Cover: 300 thread count, 100% cotton cover
- Filling: gel fiber that mimics goose down (100% polyester fiber)
- Intended to give the feel of 600 fill power pure down
- 4.5-inch gusset, with double-needle corded edges
- Designed for side sleepers but can be comfortable for all sleep positions
- Comes in Standard, Queen, and King
- Care: machine wash and dryer friendly
Good Life Essentials:
- Cover: 50% Bamboo and 50% polyester blend textured cover
- Filling: 100% Polyurethane Shredded Foam
- CertiPUR-US Certified Foam
- Comes in sizes: Standard, Queen, and King (reviewed Queen)
- Only sold on Amazon
- 30-day trial and Lifetime warranty
- Care: Cold gentle wash and low tumble dry; make sure pillow is completely dry before use
Who Might Choose
- Those who prefer down. The core of the Beyond Down is made of gel fibers that are supposed to mimic a more traditional and classic down filling. The team behind Beyond Down says the pillow should resemble a down pillow with a 600 fill power. While it may resemble a down pillow in some aspects, the feel is not perfectly compatible.
- Stomach sleepers. When it comes to stomach sleeping, the Beyond Down will be a better match compared to the more supportive shredded foam in the Good Life Essentials pillow. Sleepers will enjoy the plush nature of the down alternative filling.
Good Life Essentials…
- Sleepers who like memory foam. This pillow is composed of pieces of shredded memory foam that give it some flexibility with manipulating the pieces inside. However, the added support and firmness from the foam is truly what sets it apart from the Beyond Down option.
- Those who want something untraditional. Good Life Essentials pillow – with its foam chunks or shreds – offers more airflow than a solid foam pillow and the bamboo fabric cover will also enhance cooling, ensuring all types of sleepers stay comfortable overnight.
- Those who have allergies or sensitivities. Both of these pillows are hypoallergenic, sleepers with allergies to down or sensitivities to dust mites will be find either pillow appealing.
The combination of a high loft and excellent support make both these pillows the optimal choice for side and back sleepers. Drilling down the details, it’s possible that the Beyond Down Gel Fiber pillow could also work for stomach sleepers, but there was just too much filling for me.
The Good Life Essentials pillow is currently only available on Amazon and is more expensive compared to the Beyond Down pillow but both are honestly pretty affordable. In addition, it comes with a 30-day trial that might offset the risk.
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- How Genetics Impact Our Sleep - March 23, 2020
- Amerisleep Comfort Classic Pillow Review – The Perfect Foam Pillow? - March 20, 2020
- Best Cotton Sheets – Tried and Tested! - March 3, 2020