Latex filling is the name of the game for both of these pillows. Bear’s solid foam core is a hybrid of latex and memory foam while the Z by Malouf pillow is 100% natural Talalay latex. What sets them apart? Read on for my full comparison.
- Traditonal shape (will work with a pillowcase)
- Filled with ventilated latex or latex-like foam
- Both have 5” height profile (options)
- Both come in Queen and King sizes
- Removable covers that are washable and dryer friendly
- Better fits for back and side sleepers over stomach sleepers
- Made with Double Ice Fabric: a special fabric that feels cool to the touch (feels like athletic-wear material)
- Core filling is made with LOFT-X FOAM: a hybrid foam that combines memory foam and latex foam to contour to your spine and neck (100% polyurethane)
- Dual mesh side panels for continuous airflow throughout your sleep
- King and Queen sizes available
- Price: $95 for Queen, $115 for a King
- 2-year warranty
Z 100% Natural Talalay Latex (High loft, plush density option)
- Pin-core design configured to cradle your head while providing your neck and shoulders with needed support
- Firm density is optimal for back and side sleepers
- 100% pure natural Talalay Latex – No synthetic additives
- Unique foam consistency and zoned technology provides zoned support and superior pressure relief
- Soft, removable velour cover made from a rayon from bamboo blend (75% polyester, 25% rayon from bamboo)
- Comes in Queen ($136) and King ($156) sizes
- Options: high and low profiles; and firm and plush densities
- 5-year warranty
You Might Choose…
- You sleep hot. The pillow is truly designed to help you sleep cool. It is made with “Double Ice Fabric” that is cool to the touch and has breathable mesh panels on the side and ventilated foam filling.
- You want to try it out. Just like the mattress, the Bear pillow comes with a 100-night trial. This means you can try the pillow out for yourself to see if it’s a good fit. If not, you get to send it back for a refund.
Z 100% Natural Talalay Latex If…
- You prefer a soft pillow cover. The Z by Malouf pillow cover is soft velour and made from polyester and rayon from bamboo. It will feel great against for your face and leave you feeling like you don’t need a pillowcase at all.
- You want options. This pillow comes in two sizes but also two loft levels (high and low) and two density levels (firm and plush). The low loft is 4″-5″ which matches the profile on the Bear pillow. The high loft is 6″-7″. You can choose from the following combinations:
- High Loft Firm
- High Loft Plush (my pillow)
- Low Loft Firm
- Low Loft Plush
- You want to try something that’s not memory foam. Because both of these pillows are either made of latex or partially latex, they have a responsive feel. It will still cradle and support your head but it won’t slowly sink down into the pillow in the same way a memory foam pillow will.
- You sleep on your back or side. The loft on both of these pillows is high enough that I think they’re better fits for side sleepers (who tend to need thicker pillows) and back sleepers over stomach sleepers. Based on my experience, the firmness in both – even the plush version of the Z pillow – may be too much for stomach sleepers.
Both of these pillows are great options if you’re in the market for a latex pillow. Hot sleepers may want to try Bear with its 100-night trial offer, while people who want loft and density options should look at the Z 100% Natural Talalay Latex pillow.
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- Best Cooling Pillows - January 15, 2020
- Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier Review - December 18, 2019
- TEMPUR-Pedic Pillow Reviews – How Do These 6 Compare? - December 11, 2019