Shopping for a mattress can be overwhelming, and you may not know where to start.
The good news is, there are plenty of options for places you can buy a mattress nowadays, from traditional mattress stores, to department stores, and even from the convenience of your own home by shopping online.
Don’t know where to begin? We created this guide to help you decide where the best place to buy a mattress is depending on your preferences. We weigh out the pros and cons of various options so you can choose what’s best for you.
The most traditional place you can go to buy a mattress is a mattress store like Mattress Firm, Tempur-Pedic, or Sleep Number. Depending on where you live, you should have plenty of mattress specialty stores near you.
At a mattress store, you get the chance to walk around a showroom and test out mattresses in real-time. A mattress salesperson will be able to show you a number of different brands and models and talk you through your shopping journey.
Something to keep in mind in that when you shop at a mattress store, you’re going to be paying much more for a mattress vs. the price you would pay by purchasing a direct-to-consumer mattress online. Mattress stores inflate prices because of the middleman, so if you are going to shop at a mattress store, we recommend waiting for a sales period.
- A salesperson can talk you through multiple mattress options.
- If you don’t know what you want/like in a mattress, physically testing a bunch in a store could help you decide.
- You will pay more for a mattress than you would by shopping online.
- A salesperson may try to persuade you to buy a mattress just to make a commission.
- You see a smaller selection of types of mattresses from different brands than you would by shopping online.
General Furniture Stores
Most general furniture stores carry mattresses, though the selection may be pretty small. However, there may be more general furniture stores in your area than specialty mattress stores, so it may be an easier and more accessible option for you.
The salespeople at a general furniture store likely won’t be as knowledgeable about mattresses as one at a mattress store would be, and the sales cycle will be different (and probably less frequent) than at a mattress store.
- General furniture stores are common, so you may have more of these types of stores closer to you.
- You can shop for multiple furniture pieces to furnish your home all at one place.
- The salesperson likely won’t be as knowledgeable about mattresses.
- The mattress selection will likely be much smaller.
- The sales will likely not be as frequent or large.
Department stores like Macy’s, JCPenney, and Sears sometimes offer mattresses. These department stores offer a wide variety of products ranging from clothing to kitchenware to other household items, and it’s not always guaranteed that they carry mattresses in-store.
If you want to shop for a mattress at your local department store, it may be best to call in advance to see if they sell mattresses. If they do, you have the benefit of being able to shop for many of your household needs all in one store.
These department stores will also have salespeople who can help you, though it’s not very likely they will be very knowledgeable about mattresses. The selection will also be limited and they may not have a showroom style display for you to really test out the mattresses you’re interested in. We would only recommend going to a place like this if you have few other options.
- You can do one-stop shopping for various household items.
- You likely have many department stores located near you.
- Not all department stores will carry mattresses.
- If they do, the selection will likely be small.
- Although there are salespeople, they likely won’t know much about mattresses.
- You may not get that same experience of testing out a mattress like you would in a showroom.
- There probably won’t be as many great sales on a mattress.
We believe shopping online is the best place to buy a mattress. If you’re willing to do some research on your own, you can find a great mattress to fit your needs for the best price.
When you shop online, you have the option to browse many brands, models, and types of mattresses. You can shop online for a mattress directly from mattress companies like Casper, Saatva, and Tuft & Needle, or you may be interested in buying a mattress from an online marketplace like Amazon or US-Mattress.com.
Generally, we recommend purchasing an online mattress directly from the company you’re interested in. This way you get the exact mattress you’re looking for with all the company policies like warranty, sleep trial, and return policy in place. Make sure to read our article on how to buy a mattress online.
Some people are hesitant to shop online because they don’t get to see or test out the mattresses. The good news is, online mattress brands have policies in place to help you out. Many brands offer generous sleep trial periods, during which you can sleep on your mattress and decide if it’s a good fit for you. If not, most companies will come to assist with mattress disposal and offer a full refund.
- You can browse many brands, models, and types of mattresses.
- You get the best possible price.
- You can monitor for sales periods (like Presidents’ Day or Black Friday) to get the best deal.
- You can have a mattress conveniently delivered directly to your door (some brands even offer white glove delivery to set up your mattress).
- You don’t get to try the mattress before you buy it (but that’s why sleep trials are so great!)
- You have to do your own research to find the best mattress for you (but that’s where we come in!)
Final Thoughts: Where’s The Best Place To Buy A Mattress?
Ultimately, the choice is yours. Whether you choose to shop in a department store or want to scour the internet for the best deals, you have a good chance of being able to find a high-quality mattress that suits your needs. But if you’re looking for some quick guidance, here’s our thoughts:
Shop online if…
- You want to save money.
- You want to explore the most options.
- You want the convenience of shopping at home and having the mattress delivered to your doorstep.
Shop in store if…
- You want the in-person shopping experience of trying out beds and speaking with a salesperson.
- You don’t want to do your own research.
- You don’t mind having to pay more money.
If you’re someone who wants to shop online to get the best price, Mattress Clarity can help you find the best mattress for you. We have various tools and resources available to you to help you along your mattress journey.
Start by taking a look at our mattress buying guide to learn everything you need to know about shopping for a mattress online, then you can start reading our mattress reviews or compare your top options by checking out our mattress comparison. Don’t know which brands to start with? Try out our mattress quiz for personalized mattress recommendations.
And if you have any questions, contact Mattress Clarity to get a custom recommendation.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.