While the P-6 Sleep Number mattress is close in design to the I-LE limited edition model, there are a few areas where they stand apart. With two great options, it can be hard to know which to choose. If both of these models are on your list, we can help. We’ve put together a guide filled with details on each mattress to help you decide which one is best for you.
- Both models offer cooling features
- A variety of standard sizes – including FlexTop
- Individual or dual air chamber options with DualAir™ adjustability
Both come with this optional feature:
FlexFit™ Adjustable Bases
- 12” mattress profile
- Plush-style mattress top
- 3” of proprietary PlushFit foam- supportive foam is designed exclusively for Sleep Number to naturally conform to your curves
- 5 zones specifically designed to contour to your head, shoulders, lower back, hips, and knees
- Mattress fabric is made of a rayon/polyester which features moisture-wicking technology for a cool sleep surface.
- $2,599.99 for a Queen
- 14” mattress profile
- Duvet-style pillowtop that includes: hypersoft quilting foam for a plush surface
- 3” of Exclusive Comfort Layer foam – enhanced with a breathable airflow design to help balance your sleeping temperature
- 2” foam base pad underneath the air chamber(s)
- Polyester/polypropylene fabric is soft and breathable so you sleep comfortably.
- Sleep IQ Technology is included
- $4,899.98 for a Queen size
What I Found From Several Live Chat Sessions
After speaking with Sleep Number Customer Service representatives, I learned about a few extra details that may help you decide between a P-5 or an I-LE mattress.
- Mattress Top: According to the Customer Service representative I spoke to, the I-LE duvet-style mattress top is “MUCH MORE PLUSH” than the P-6 model. The P-6 mattress top is described as a plush-style mattress top with moisture-wicking fabric. But it is not a pillowtop like the I-LE.
- Zones of Contouring Support: Although it is the more expensive model, the I-LE does not have any zones of contouring support, while the P-6 has 5 designated areas in the 3” layer of comfort foam. Take this for what it’s worth, but when I talked to a Customer Service Representative about it, he said, in all honesty, he has personally slept on the models with the contouring support and without and he did not notice a difference.
Which Should You Pick?
- You are a Side Sleeper. The P-6 is similar to the P-5, which is popular because customers say that it’s a great balance of cushion and support. The P-6 has an additional inch of PlushFit foam and it also has 5 zones designed to relieve pressure in certain areas of your body. This great balance and zones make it a highly recommended mattress for side sleepers.
- You Want To Save Some Cash. There is a significant $2,300 price difference between a Queen I-LE and a Queen P-6 mattress. Although you will get SleepIQ Technology with the I-LE you are still saving a large amount of money that you could put towards a FlexFit Adjustable Base (or save it!).
- You Want To Sleep On A Cloud. The I-LE is all about that soft duvet-style pillowtop. As one Customer Service representative said, the I-LE is like “a big fluffy cloud. It’s nice for those that need that.” So if plush, luxurious softness is your preference over firmer mattresses, than the I-LE could be a great fit.
- You Sleep Hot. Both mattresses are designed with cooling features. For the I-LE, it’s built into the comfort foam layer and the P-6 has moisture wicking fabric. One Customer Service representative did say that the I-LE was warmer compared to the P-6 because it has more material and the cooling feature is in the foam layer and not in the fabric.
My Personal Opinion
You will spend $2,300 more for a Queen size I-LE mattress than a P-6 mattress (at full price). Since that is a good amount of money, I wanted to figure out exactly what you’re getting with the I-LE that you won’t get with the P-6.
- 2” more inches of mattress profile height
- Sleep IQ Technology
- 2” foam base pad
- 3” Exclusive Comfort Layer – foam layer with breathability to keep you cool (different from P-6’s PlushFit foam)
- Duvet-style luxurious pillow top
As a side sleeper who prefers firmer mattresses, I think my choice would definitely be the P-6 over the I-LE. I asked several Customer Service representatives which they would recommend and they all pointed to the P-6 over the I-LE as well.
The P-6 is similar to the popular P-5 model (has a slightly thicker comfort foam layer) and seems to provide enough cushion to support side sleepers and relieve pressure on their shoulders and hips. It also has moisture wicking fabric and the same comfort foam thickness (3”) than the I-LE.
Purchasing the P-6 over the I-LE also saves you thousands, which you can then spend on more Sleep Number products or save in your piggy bank!
Looking for more Sleep Number info? Find our full review here.
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- Home Essentials Company Floyd Unveils Its First Mattress - November 15, 2019
- Pillow Reviews: Casper Vs. MyPillow – How Do They Stack Up? - November 14, 2019
- Vicks Filter Free Cool Mist Humidifier Review - November 13, 2019