In 2017, Serta re-designed their line of iComfort beds to include both a memory foam and hybrid collection. They each feature new technology and materials designed to help keep their beds not only cool but exceptionally comfortable.
Within the memory foam collection is the Blue line and the Blue Max line. The Blue Max 5000 Elite Luxury Firm is the highest-end and more expensive (and luxurious) mattress. It features 4″ of memory foam in three layers and advanced cooling technology.
To learn more about the Blue Max 5000 Elite Luxury Firm mattress, the materials used in its construction and who it might be a good fit for, read on for our full overview.
The Serta iComfort Blue Max 5000 Elite Luxury Firm Model is about 13.5″ thick, with a blue and white TempActiv™ Touch Cover on the outside of the mattress.
The layers inside the mattress include:
- 1” TempActiv™ Max Gel Memory Foam
- 1.5” Deep Reaction™ Memory Foam
- 1.5” Deep Reaction™ Memory Foam
- 2” ActivBalance™ Support Foam
- 1.5” Air Suspension™ Technology
Plus, there is a support system of 6” Serta® Ultimate Edge® Foam Core inside the mattress.
The Blue Max 5000 Elite Luxury Firm is in the middle of Serta’s firmness scale, slightly towards the firmer side.
These Mattresses Might Work For …
- Those want a “best of both worlds” mattress. Someone wants a bed that is firm enough to be supportive but has a slightly plushy, “enveloping” feel as well. The 3″ of Deep Reaction Memory Foam will help provide support while the top layer of TempActiv Max Gel Memory Foam will provide the plush feel and help pull heat away from them while they sleep.
- Those who are back sleepers. The Blue Max 5000 Elite Luxury Firm is not super firm and is closer to halfway between plush and firm. This puts it in a nice comfort range for back sleepers, who tend to need less firmness than stomach sleepers but more support than side sleepers.
- Hot sleepers. Serta says that the Blue Max 5000 Elite Luxury Firm uses the “most powerful temperature regulating iComfort memory foam technology.” There are several materials and design elements in this mattress to keep sleepers cool. The top layers are TempActiv™ Max Gel Memory Foam and TempActiv™ Touch Fabric Technology which are actually cooling to the touch. Further down the layers, there is the all-new Air Suspension Technology™, which is “made from an exceptionally elastic polymer is designed to perfectly balance enhanced airflow with deep down, buoyant support to give you a truly unique and cushioning feeling.”
This Mattress Might Not Work For …
- People who want a mattress that is decidedly “firm” or decidedly “plush.” This option is one whose comfort level is almost down the middle – halfway between plush and firm – a little bit closer to the firm side. Side sleepers may want to go closer to plush and stomach sleepers will probably enjoy a firmer option. Back sleepers are more likely to enjoy this comfort level with the Elite Luxury Firm.
- Those who are looking for a budget-friendly option. The Blue Max 5000 Elite Luxury Firm collection starts at $2,799 for a queen-sized mattress. This makes it the most expensive mattress in the entire Serta iComfort memory foam mattress collection. Those who are looking for the same comfort level should consider the less expensive Blue Max 1000 Cushion Firm.
- Those who prefer a “bouncy” mattress. This mattress is part of the Serta iComfort memory foam series of beds and has a memory foam like feel all the way. It will envelop sleepers and have a slower response time than other foams like latex. Those who want a quicker response or a bouncier feel may want to consider a latex, innerspring or hybrid mattress.
Most Common Pieces Of Praise
- Buyers who have joint or back pain report that this mattress doesn’t aggravate them at all. “There are zero points of pressure,” one reviewer wrote.
- The cooling technology works. One reviewer wrote: “I find myself HOT at night, this bed has helped so that I don’t sweat.”
- Buyers like the motion isolation technology, which means they are not disturbed by their sleeping partners. “I like that I can’t feel my 280 lb husband moving around while he is sleeping,” a buyer reported. “I now sleep through the night.”
Most Common Complaints
- This mattress can take a little while to “break in,” and may feel too firm at first. One reviewer wrote: “It took me a good 30 days before I felt comfortable.”
- Some customers find that the foam edges are not supportive enough. “My only complaint is that as a big guy, the very ends of the bed do not support me all that well and I feel like I’m going to fall off,” one buyer wrote. “I just sleep more towards the center now.”
- Due to a process called “off-gassing,” the mattress may give off a chemical odor when it’s brand-new. This smell should dissipate within a few days.
Why Pick This Over Other iComfort Models?
The Serta iComfort Blue Max 5000 Elite Luxury Firm is in the middle of Serta’s firmness range, with a slight lean towards firm. This makes it ideal for people who want a “best-of-both-worlds” mattress, in terms of firmness versus softness.
This range of firmness tends to be a good fit for back sleepers, who need less firmness than stomach sleepers but more than side sleepers. It’s also got the highest level of cooling technology and design incorporated – making it a good fit for hot sleepers as well.
The Serta iComfort Blue Max 5000 Elite Luxury Firm has three layers of memory foam, one layer of support foam, one layer of Air Suspension™ Technology, and a foam core. Cooling technology includes a TempActiv™ Touch Cover and 1” TempActiv™ Max Gel Memory Foam.
While it is the most expensive mattress in the Serta iComfort memory foam line, it is the most luxurious and one that the average sleeper will most likely find comfortable.
All Serta iComfort series mattresses come with a 120-night in-home trial period.
All images from Serta
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- Honeywell Germ-Free Cool Moisture Humidifier Review - February 18, 2020
- A Complete Guide To Therapy And Sleep - February 13, 2020
- Through New Partnership, BedJet Brings Temperature Control To ReST Smart Beds - January 29, 2020