Hyphen is a bed-in-a-box option that cuts out a lot of costs associated with buying a mattress to deliver great value to the consumer. Hyphen had a cool design and good pitch, so I was excited to give it a try.
Overall I had a great experience on the mattress, with a couple complaints as well (see how Hyphen compares HERE). It’s has a nice foam feel without a lot of the drawbacks that memory foam is known for.
Read my full Hyphen mattress review for details.
You will love the Hyphen mattress if you…
- Want to sleep cool – Hyphen puts a lot of effort into making their mattress sleep cool, including infused copper (though they don’t advertise that part much). In my experience it definitely slept cool
- You are looking for great value – Hyphen does not outsource their manufacturing, they’re making the mattress in their own factory, giving them an edge even over the other online-only competitors
- You want a mattress for all sleeping positions – I think Hyphen is medium-firm, but has a feel which made it comfortable for me in all sleeping positions
You may not like the Hyphen mattress if you…
- Want a very soft or very firm mattress – Hyphen caters to the average sleeper, but if you have a very strong firmness preference, Hyphen may not be the best fit.
- Like the memory foam or innerspring feel – Hyphen has a “springier” foam feel, which is distinctly different than a traditional memory foam feel (think Tempurpedic) or innerspring feel
Feel and Firmness
The Hyphen mattress has more “spring” than a memory foam mattress, making it easier to move around and get out of the bed. See how it comes back more quickly in the video below:
The Hyphen is of pretty average firmness, I’d put it at a 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale. However I do find it comfortable when sleeping on the side or stomach, unlike some mattresses of average firmness (see full list of mattresses reviewed on this site).
Motion Transfer Test
Below see my motion transfer “test” for the Hyphen mattress, where I will see if the mattress is a good mattress for couples.
As you can see, the object is barely disturbed as I roll around on the mattress. As expected with a good quality foam mattress, it performs very well in the motion isolation test.
See our top picks for the best mattress for couples.
Hyphen is unique in that the company actually manufactures in-house, rather than outsource the manufacturing. The layers consist of:
- Comfort layer: 2 inches of Hyphen foam (3.5 lb density)
- Transition layer: 2 inches of Buoyant foam (2.0 lb density)
- Base layer: 6 inches of Orthopedic support foam (1.8 lb density)
See the details of the Polyester zipper cover below:
Other things to note:
- Hyphen has a 20 year warranty and 100 night sleep trial
- The mattress has 2 layers of anti-microbrial protection
- The mattress is infused with copper to help it sleep cooler
Hyphen provided a great night of sleep, and I think has some features that make it unique in the bed-in-a-box category. If you like the design, advanced cooling elements, or that the manufacture the mattress themselves, Hyphen is definitely worth a hard look.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.