If you’re a heavier person like me, you have probably had a terrible experience on a lot of mattresses and have slept one too many mattresses that don’t give proper support.
Luckily, the two mattresses compared in this article are built specifically for heavier sleepers who need extra support. This mattress comparison will go over the construction of both mattresses and highlight the main similarities and differences to help consumers make a more informed decision.
- Both mattresses are made specifically for larger people and are both hybrid mattresses that contain coils and softer top layers.
- They are both breathable mattresses that should sleep cool through the night.
- Both mattresses are quite durable for larger sleepers, making them an excellent long-term investment.
- The WinkBeds Plus is taller than the Titan, making it slightly more substantial.
- The Titan is a firmer mattress than the WinkBeds Plus and potentially has more support as a result.
- They have some very different materials in their comfort layer. Titan has TitanFlex and gel memory foam, whereas WinkBeds Plus features latex and Body Impression Proof Foam.
- The feel is different overall. The WinkBeds Plus has a hybrid feel with a pillow top, while the Titan has a flatter, firmer, innerspring feel.
- The Titan is more affordable than the WinkBeds Plus, making the difference in value a little difficult to assess.
- The mattress is 11” tall and consists of four separate layers.
- The polyester cover is quilted with a 1” layer of gel memory foam, which provides great pressure relief.
- Below that, there are 2” of responsive TitanFlex foam, which gives the mattress some bounce and responsiveness.
- Next, the support layer consists of 6” of TitanCaliber coils that are individually pocketed and very supportive overall.
- On the bottom, there are 2” of high-density foam that the support coils can rest on.
Read the full Titan mattress review, available here.
- The mattress is 15″ tall and consists of several distinct layers.
- The soft cover contains Tencel fabric and is quilted with 2” of Body Impression Proof Foam, giving the mattress excellent pressure relief.
- Below that, there is 2.5’ of a seven-zoned latex foam layer, which gives the mattress some bounce, responsiveness, and additional durability. See our list of the best latex mattresses to get a better idea of how latex works.
- The support layer is made up of 7.5” of zoned, individually-wrapped coils.
- The base layer is made up of 3″ of high-density polyfoam, which the support coils can rest on.
- While they both feature quilted top layers, the WinkBeds Plus is going to be plusher on top. The WinkBeds Plus’ Body Impression Proof foam creates a bit of that pillow top feel.
- Both mattresses are going to be very supportive and should be a good match for heavier people. The Titan features supportive coils and a layer of high-density foams above that. The WinkBeds Plus contains individually-wrapped coils and a layer of thick latex foam.
- The WinkBeds’ latex and coils are both zoned, which means the layers vary in firmness across the surface area of the mattress. Because of this, people should feel more support when they are on their back or stomach. At the same time, people should feel more pressure relief when they are on their side.
- The TitanFlex foam in the Titan has a combination of latex and memory foam qualities. It features some soft pressure relief, but it is also responsive, which will make it easy to move around on the mattress.
- While both of these mattresses are quite durable, the WinkBeds Plus seems to be even more durable. The latex foam layer should add some longevity to the mattress.
- Both mattresses should be very breathable. The coils allow for air to flow throughout the mattress. Also, the TitanFlex foam is open-celled, making the foam more breathable and heat-dissipating. The WinkBeds Plus’ latex foam layer is also open-celled.
- If you really struggle with sleeping hot, you can add a cooling panel to the top of your Titan mattress. This will improve heat dissipation and make the top of the mattress feel cooler to the touch.
In my experience, the Titan felt close to a 9/10 in terms of firmness. The WinkBeds Plus felt closer to a 7.5/10. I will note that, depending on your weight, you might have a different experience. I weight 230 lbs so if you are heavier than me, you could press further into these mattresses and feel more or less firmness than I did.
RELATED: Best Firm Mattress
Here is how it felt sleeping on the Titan:
- When I am back sleeping on the Titan, it is a bit too firm for me. Back sleepers usually want to find a mattress that lets their hips sink in a bit. I feel like the Titan is pushing my hips out of the mattress. It is possible that much larger back sleepers could feel differently.
- Moving to my side, the Titan is also too firm. I press into the mattress and feel some serious pressure on my shoulders and hips. Even with the gel memory foam and TitanFlex near the top of the mattress, the Titan is not providing the best pressure relief.
- Stomach sleeping on the Titan, the mattress is a great match for me. I feel like my hips are supported as is the rest of my body. I feel well-aligned.
Here is how it felt sleeping on the WinkBeds Plus:
- Back sleeping on the WinkBeds Plus, I find the mattress to be a great fit. My hips sink into the pillow top while the zoning supports my lumbar area. Between the two, it is the best mattress for back sleepers who are heavy.
- Side sleeping, I do feel a bit of pressure on my shoulders and hips. That being said, I feel better pressure relief on the WinkBeds Plus when compared to the Titan. Most heavy side sleepers should feel less pressure on their shoulders and hips when sleeping on the WinkBeds Plus.
- I also feel some nice support when I am stomach sleeping on the WinkBeds Plus. My hips are not sinking into the mattress. Still, I do feel better support stomach sleeping on the Titan.
While these are both hybrid mattresses, they do have a slightly different feel. The Titan has an innerspring mattress feel with just a bit of a soft foam feel on top. The WinkBeds Plus has more of a pillow top feel.
See more about my experience with the Titan in the video below.
Now, see what I thought of the WinkBeds Plus and its overall firmness and feel in the video below.
If you share your bed and need the best mattress for couples, it is important to think about motion transfer. You want to make sure you find a mattress that isolates motion well. You don’t want to feel every one of your partner’s movements, and you don’t want to disturb them either!
Memory foam is one of the best materials for dealing with motion transfer. This is probably why the Titan is better with motion transfer than the WinkBeds Plus. Its gel memory foam and TitanFlex absorb more motion than the latex you find in the WinkBeds Plus.
See how the Titan handles motion transfer in the video below.
Now, compare this to the WinkBeds Plus mattress from the video below.
Couples should also consider edge support when shopping for a mattress, because a mattress with great edge support will allow people to sleep toward the edge, giving them and their partner more room to sleep.
Between these two mattresses, the WinkBeds Plus features better edge support. Sitting near the edge of the WinkBeds Plus, the mattress supports me well. The mattress is barely compressing. When I am on the Titan, it collapses a bit more under my weight.
I also feel more secure when I am lying down near the edge of the WinkBeds Plus.
Pick Titan If…
- You are a heavier stomach sleeper- Between these two mattresses, the Titan seems to offer the best support for stomach sleeping. If you are heavier and sleep primarily on your stomach, you shouldn’t feel like your hips are sinking too far into the mattress. You should feel proper support and should stay in proper spinal alignment.
- You are looking for a more affordable mattress- The price of the Titan is significantly less than the WinkBeds Plus. Brooklyn Bedding owns their own factory so they are able to sell their mattresses for much less. If you are struggling to decide between these two mattresses, going with the Titan could save you money, although the WinkBeds is also a great value mattress.
- You like innerspring mattresses- While the Titan features some soft layers on top, it does have more of an innerspring mattress feel. If you have owned an innerspring mattress or just like the feeling of coils, take a look at the Titan. Also, make sure to check out our best innerspring mattress list.
- You prefer a firmer mattress- In my experience, the Titan was the firmer of these two mattresses. Whether you need more support or simply like sleeping on top of a firm mattress, the Titan should be the better choice.
Pick WinkBeds Plus If…
- You are a heavier back sleeper- Larger people who sleep on their will back will most likely prefer the WinkBeds Plus. The zoned construction provides extra lumbar support while the pillow top allows the hips to sink in. The mattress features a mix of comfort and support that back sleepers should be seeking.
- You are a heavier side sleeper- At the same time, the WinkBeds Plus mattress is a great match for side sleeping. The zoning makes it so the mattress feels softer under the shoulders and hips. The combination of this zoning with the soft pillow top makes for some great pressure relief.
- You like the feeling of a pillow top- If you like a plush feel on the top of your mattress, the WinkBeds Plus is the better choice. The mattress has more of a pillow top so if you get some more soft comfort.
- You are looking for a long-term investment- While the WinkBeds Plus does cost more than the Titan, it should be the more durable mattress that won’t sag. The latex layer in and individually-wrapped coils should help this mattress for years to come.
If you keep this information in mind, it shouldn’t be too hard to decide between the Titan (made by Brooklyn Bedding) and WinkBeds Plus. The Titan should be better for larger stomach sleepers and those who are looking to spend less on their mattress purchase. The WinkBeds Plus should work for heavier back and side sleepers, and those who want a more long-term investment. Leave any questions about these two mattresses in the comment section below.
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- DreamCloud vs. DreamCloud Premier Mattress Comparison - January 15, 2021
- DreamCloud Premier vs. WinkBed Mattress Comparison - January 14, 2021
- Best Presidents’ Day Mattress Sales In 2021 - January 14, 2021