If you are a larger person, it can be difficult to find the right mattress. Many mattresses aren’t supportive enough for heavier weights, and there is also the issue of the mattress sagging.
The good news is there are mattresses designed with heavier people in mind. The Big Fig and WinkBeds Plus are two such mattresses. Which mattress will be the perfect fit for you? Read on for my full comparison.
- They are both made for heavier people.
- These are both hybrid mattresses.
- They have similar feels.
- They should both deal with the issue of sleeping hot.
- The Big Fig is firmer than the WinkBeds Plus.
- The Big Fig is made to handle even heavier weights.
- The WinkBeds Plus is taller than the Big Fig.
- The WinkBeds Plus has a thicker pillow-top.
Big Fig Construction
- The Big Fig is 13” tall.
- The cover is 1″ of quilted, ThermoGel foam.
- Then there is ½” of a gel-infused latex foam.
- This is followed by three 1” layers of polyfoam.
- Next, there are 7” of individually wrapped coils.
- The base layer is 1.5” of high-density polyfoam.
WinkBeds Plus Construction
- The WinkBeds Plus is 15″ tall.
- The cover is soft quilted with 2″ of a high-density Body Impression Proof Foam. It also contains Tencel fabric.
- The first layer is 2.5″ of an open-celled, seven-zoned latex support layer.
- Next there are 7.5″ of a three-zone, TexasQUAD individually wrapped support coil system.
- Finally, the base layer is 3″ of a high-density polyfoam.
- Both mattresses have covers that are quilted with polyfoam.
- The WinkBeds Plus has a thicker top layer, but they both have a soft feel.
- Both comfort layers are similar, but the Big Fig’s foams are a bit higher density and also firmer.
- Both mattresses have taller coils. They are both designed to handle heavier weights and give extra support.
- The Big Fig should be a longer lasting mattress. The foams are higher density, and this adds another level of durability. In addition, the Big Fig has more coils across the mattress, which will add to the durability of this mattress.
- These should both be cooler sleeping mattresses. They each have foam layers that assist with heat dissipation. Also, the coils in each mattress should promote airflow throughout the mattress.
In terms of firmness, the Big Fig felt like an 8/10 and the WinkBeds Plus felt like a 7.5/10. Note that people who are heavier than me may have a different experience. I am 230 pounds, so I may not activate the layers of these mattresses as much as someone in the 300- to 500-pound weight range might.
In terms of feel, both mattresses have a balanced hybrid feel with a bit of a pillow-top feel as well. However, the pillow-top is definitely thicker on the WinkBeds Plus, so it feels plusher.
Both mattresses are responsive, so I had no problem moving around on the Big Fig or the WinkBeds Plus.
In my experience, the Big Fig felt too firm when I was lying on my back. I felt like the mattress was pushing my butt and hips up. When you’re lying on your back, you want your hips to sink in just the right amount. If anything, the Big Fig was too firm for me when I was on my back.
Likewise, when I was on my side, the Big Fig was also too firm for me. I felt some pressure on my shoulders and hips.
On my stomach, I felt great overall support on the Big Fig. My hips didn’t bow in and felt very supported. I think even people heavier than me will get the support they need while stomach sleeping on the Big Fig.
Moving to the WinkBeds Plus, I felt great lying on my back. My hips sunk into the pillow-top just the right amount, and I was held up otherwise.
While I did feel some pressure on my shoulders and hips when I was lying on my side, it was not as much as I felt on the Big Fig. On my stomach, I also felt well supported.
See how the firmer Big Fig responded to my tests in this video.
See what I thought of the WinkBeds Plus thick pillow-top in the video below.
Motion Transfer Differences
Between the two mattresses, the Big Fig handles motion transfer a bit better. Because the pillow-top is thinner, you get down to the foam layers more quickly. This foam absorbs motion quite well.
If you sleep with a partner, you should feel less of their movements on your side of the mattress. The Big Fig is the better choice for heavier couples.
See how the Big Fig cut down on motion in the video below.
Now, compare that to how the WinkBeds Plus handles motion transfer.
I believe both these mattresses are about equal in terms of edge support.
They are both firmer than average, and I feel secure sitting on the edge of both the Big Fig and WinkBeds Plus. When I was lying down near the edges, I didn’t feel like I was going to roll off or be ejected from either mattress.
See the edge support of these mattresses in the photos below.
Pick Big Fig If …
- You are a heavier stomach sleeper. If you are a larger person, it can be difficult to find the right support when you are on your stomach. I did not have this problem on the Big Fig. I felt well supported, so my hips didn’t bow in.
- You weigh between 300 and 500 pounds. While the WinkBeds Plus is also designed for larger people, the Big Fig is rated for an even higher weight range. If you are over 300 pounds, this will be the more supportive of the two mattresses.
- You are heavier and sleep with a partner. This mattress can support up to 1,000 pounds or two 500-pound sleepers. If you are larger and sleep with a partner, this mattress should be able to support you both. It also comes with a foundation to add another level of support.
Pick WinkBeds Plus If …
- You are a heavier back sleeper. Between the two mattresses, I felt best on my back while lying on the WinkBeds Plus. The pillow-top allows my butt to sink in just the right amount. I feel well supported, but it is not too firm.
- You are in the 200- to 300-pound weight range. If you are heavier but not over 300 pounds, this mattress is probably the better choice. The Big Fig may be too firm if you are on the lighter end of the heavy person spectrum. You should get the support you need without the mattress feeling too firm.
- You like a pillow-top feel. The Big Fig also has a bit of that pillow-top feel, but not as much as the WinkBeds Plus. You really get that soft, plush feeling on the WinkBeds Plus.
Both of these mattresses could be a good fit for heavier sleepers. If you consider your size and sleeping position, it should be easy to choose between them.
The Big Fig is better for much heavier sleepers who sleep on their stomach. Heavier back sleepers and those under 300 pounds should consider the WinkBeds Plus.
Please leave any specific comments or questions about the Big Fig or the WinkBeds Plus in the comment section below.
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- Luna Weighted Blanket Review – Options Galore! - October 10, 2019
- Populum Full Spectrum Hemp Oil Review – Will It Help You Sleep? - September 27, 2019
- Best Weighted Blankets For Anxiety - September 25, 2019