If you are a larger person like me, you may have had trouble finding a mattress to meet your needs. Heavier weights require more support and, depending on your sleeping position, more comfort.
The mattress business has caught on to the specific needs of larger sleepers, and companies have started to create mattresses tailored specifically to heavy people.
The Big Fig and Saatva HD are two such mattresses. They are designed with larger people in mind and are both of very high-quality.
So, which one will you get? Read on for my full comparison.
- Both mattresses are made specifically for heavier people.
- They are both very supportive mattresses.
- They are similar in terms of construction.
- They are both durable mattresses.
- They are similar in terms of firmness.
RELATED: Best Mattresses That Won’t Sag
- The Saatva HD is taller than the Big Fig.
- The Saatva HD has more of a luxury look and feel than the Big Fig.
- The Saatva HD has more of a pillow-top feel than the Big Fig.
- The Big Fig is more affordable than the Saatva HD.
Big Fig Construction
- The Big Fig is 13” tall.
- The cover is 1″ of quilted together ThermoGel foam.
- Then there is ½” of a gel-infused latex foam.
- This is followed by three, 1” layers of polyfoam.
- Next, there are 7” of individually-wrapped coils.
- The base layer is 1.5” of high-density polyfoam.
Read the full Big Fig mattress review.
Saatva HD Construction
- The Saatva HD is 15.5″ tall.
- The cover is made of organic cotton, tufted and quilted with comfort foam.
- The top also contains Guardin, a fabric treatment that is antimicrobial.
- Then you have a layer of ventilated, zoned Talalay latex foam.
- Below this is a layer of memory foam.
- Next, there is a layer of support foam.
- In the support layer, you have 12.5 gauge tempered steel coils.
Read the full Saatva HD mattress review.
- Both mattresses are made with larger people in mind. They feature latex foam, high-density foams, and supportive coils. The Big Fig and Saatva HD should be able to handle weights between 300 and 500 lb.
- The Saatva HD might be a bit more supportive than the Big Fig. The latex foam layer is zoned so that it’s more supportive under the heavier areas of your body. In addition, the Saatva’s coils are thicker and also zoned to be firmer in the center of the mattress.
- While their constructions are quite similar, the Saatva HD will have a slightly different feel. The cover is quilted with comfort foam and tufted to give the mattress more of a pillow-top feel. The Saatva HD should feel plusher than the Big Fig.
- Both mattresses should be breathable, cooler sleeping mattresses. They each feature latex foam that is naturally cooling and ventilated for additional airflow. The coils on both mattresses should also promote a good amount of airflow.
- While these are both durable mattresses, the Saatva HD should be a bit more durable. The coils are of a higher-grade, and the overall construction is more high-end. It should be the longer lasting mattress.
RELATED: Best Mattress
In terms of firmness, both mattresses felt close to an 8/10, or firmer than average.
I will note that I am only 230 lb, so I am below the 300- to 500-lb weight range these mattresses are rated for. If you are larger than me, you could press into these high-density top layers and feel that the mattresses are softer than I did.
Here is how I feel while sleeping on the Big Fig:
- Lying on my back, the mattress is a bit too firm for me. I think I am too light for this mattress, so my hips aren’t really sinking in. Those who are heavier than me shouldn’t have this issue.
- Moving to my side, the Big Fig is also too firm for me. I am feeling some serious pressure on my shoulders and hips. Again, if you are in that 300- to 500-lb weight range, you could feel some better pressure relief.
- On my stomach, the Big Fig is definitely supportive enough. My hips don’t sink in at all, and I feel like I am in proper neutral alignment.
Here is how I feel sleeping on the Saatva HD:
- Starting on my back, the Saatva HD is a great fit for me. The pillow-top allows my hips to sink in while the coils support me beneath that. I also feel the extra zoned support coming from the latex and coil layers.
- When I lie on my side, I feel some nice pressure relief. I am getting a bit of pressure on my shoulders and hips, but I think those who are heavier than me will feel even better pressure relief.
- While stomach sleeping, the Saatva HD is a decent match. I feel nice overall support, and my hips aren’t bowing in too much. However, I would prefer the Big Fig if I were just going to sleep on my stomach.
Both mattresses have a hybrid feel with a good amount of bounce. They both feature latex, so they are both responsive and make it easy to move around. That said, the Saatva HD feels a bit plusher because of that pillow-top.
See more of what I thought of the Big Fig’s firmness and feel in the video below.
Now, see what I thought of the Saatva HD.
Motion Transfer Differences
If you sleep with a partner, it’s important to consider how well your mattress handles motion transfer. When you lie down on one side of the mattress and your partner moves around on the other side, will you feel that movement?
When I tested out the motion isolation on both mattresses, the Big Fig performed a bit better. The Saatva HD performed well, but the lack of a pillow-top puts the Big Fig ahead with motion transfer.
Both could be good mattresses for couples, but the Big Fig does handle motion transfer better than the Saatva HD.
See how well the Big Fig handles motion transfer in the video below.
Now, compare it to the Saatva HD.
Edge Support Differences
Whether you sleep with a partner or just want to utilize the full surface area of your mattress, you should think about edge support. When you sit or lie down near the edge of your mattress, will you feel secure or more like you are going to fall or roll off?
In my experience, both the Big Fig and Saatva HD feature great edge support. They are both supportive mattresses, and their coils are surrounded by a foam encasement to further enhance the edge support. You should feel very secure while sitting and lying down near the edge of both mattresses.
You can see the excellent edge support in the photos below.
Pick Big Fig If …
- You are a stomach sleeper. If you sleep primarily on your stomach, the Big Fig should be a good choice. It has less of a pillow-top, so your hips won’t sink in too far when you are lying on your stomach. You should feel more properly aligned when you are on the Big Fig.
- You want a more affordable mattress. Between these two mattresses, the Big Fig costs less. If you think both mattresses could work for you, choosing the Big Fig could save you a good deal of money.
- You are a hot sleeper. While both mattresses should be somewhat cooling, the Big Fig should be the best choice for hot sleepers. In addition to ventilated latex foam and airflow-promoting coils, the mattress also features gel in the latex layer and Thermogel in the cover. You should be sleeping cooler on the Big Fig.
Pick Saatva HD If …
- You are a side sleeper. If you are a larger person and you sleep on your side, the Saatva HD should be the better match. The pillow-top design of the Saatva provides better pressure relief than the Big Fig. Heavier side sleepers should feel fantastic pressure relief on their shoulders and hips.
- You want a luxury mattress. While the Saatva HD does cost more than the Big Fig, it does have a lot to offer. It has more of a luxury look and feel. In addition, it contains some more durable materials. It should be a luxury, longer-lasting mattress.
- You like a pillow-top feel. If you like more of a plush top to your mattress, the Saatva is the better choice. The top is tufted and quilted with a comfort foam that creates more of a pillow-top feel than what you get on the Big Fig.
In the end, it shouldn’t be too difficult to choose between the Big Fig and Saatva HD.
The Big Fig should be better for stomach sleepers and those who are looking for a deal.
The Saatva HD should be a good pick for heavier side sleepers and those who want a longer-lasting mattress.
Please leave any additional questions about the Big Fig and Saatva HD in the comments below.
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- Tuft & Needle Mint Vs. Casper Mattress Comparison – Which Is Best For You? - September 12, 2019
- Best Memory Foam Mattress Toppers – Which Is The One For You? - September 11, 2019
- Cushion Lab Calm Embrace Weighted Blanket Review – Will It Help You Sleep Better? - September 10, 2019