If you have been shopping for a memory foam mattress topper, they may all seem the same. They’re all just a big block of memory foam, right?
While many mattress toppers are essentially soft and flat, there are some more complex options out there. The Lucid 5-Zone Mattress Topper is one such option. It features a zoned construction that is meant to give varying degrees of comfort and support.
As a fan of Lucid’s other products, I was interested to see how the 5-Zone topper would perform for me. Is this topper both comfortable and supportive? Read on for my full review.
The Lucid is a zoned topper that is a good option for hot sleepers, back sleepers, and side sleepers. Click the button for a great deal on the Lucid.
You Might Like The Lucid If…
- You are a back sleeper. The Lucid’s zoned construction makes it a very good match for back sleeping. The topper is firmer toward the center, giving you a good amount of lumbar support. The other areas of the topper are softer so your hips should sink in a fair amount. Overall, the Lucid has that balance of comfort and support that is good for back sleeping.
- You are a side sleeper. When you are on your side, you should also feel some nice pressure relief. The topper is softer near your shoulders and hips so you shouldn’t feel too much pressure in those areas. The Lucid could even be a good match for larger side sleepers. Larger people shouldn’t drop right through the topper when they are on their side.
- You are a hot sleeper. Sleeping hot is pretty much expected when you are dealing with memory foam. However, this shouldn’t be too much of an issue with the Lucid. First off, the topper is infused with a cooling gel. This should help with heat dissipation. Also, the zoned grooves create air channels throughout the topper so it won’t trap so much heat.
- You are looking for a good value. If you want a memory foam mattress topper, but you don’t want to spend too much on your purchase, the Lucid is a good option. It is around $50 for a Queen-size topper which is a very competitive price. Those who want an affordable memory foam mattress topper should take a look at the Lucid.
You Might Not Like The Lucid If…
- You are a stomach sleeper. If you sleep on your stomach, it is important that you get enough support. You don’t want to be bowing in at the hips. Even with the zoning, the Lucid will soften your mattress a good amount, and you could be feeling less support on your hips. Stomach sleepers will want to find a topper that does not soften their mattress so much.
- You don’t like a memory foam feel. While this topper does feature zoned ridges, it still has that slow-moving memory foam feel. If you don’t like to slowly sink into your sleeping surface, you might not like the Lucid. The slow response also makes it more difficult to move around on the topper so if you have mobility issues, you might want to look elsewhere. You could possibly look at a latex topper or a topper with more responsive foam.
- You want a longer-lasting topper. The Lucid is a very good deal price-wise, but it might not be the best long-term investment. During my time with the topper, I did start to see some cracks and breakage. The topper is not made of very high-density memory foam so this is not too surprising.
RELATED: Best Mattress Topper
Construction And Options
- The topper is 2″ thick.
- It is made of soft memory foam.
- The topper features five zones that vary in firmness. The middle of the topper is firmer and then it gets progressively softer as you move toward the head and foot.
- You can choose from two infusions. You can opt for the gel-infused topper which is designed to sleep cooler. You can also choose the lavender-infused topper which features a soothing scent meant to promote better sleep.
- Size options: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL, Queen, King, and California King.
I consider two things when I receive a mattress topper at my house: expansion speed and offgassing. Basically, I want to know how quickly the topper expands so that I can actually use it. I also want to know if the topper has a strong chemical smell.
When I opened the Lucid 5-Zone Mattress Topper, it expanded very quickly. I was able to use the mattress topper that very night. I only noticed a bit of offgassing and didn’t find the topper to have much of an odor.
One of the main reasons to get a mattress topper is to change the firmness of your mattress. To gauge the firmness of the Lucid, I placed it on a mattress with a firmness of 9/10. With the Lucid on top, the mattress felt closer to 7/10. That’s about two points of firmness!
However, with its five zones, the Lucid does vary in firmness. That means the mattress will feel softer or firmer depending on your sleeping position. Let’s take a look at how that felt for me:
- Back sleeping on the Lucid, the topper is a very good match. I feel my hips sinking in a bit, and the memory foam is taking the shape of my body. I also feel the center zone giving me some added support on my lumbar area.
- When I sleep on my side, the Lucid also works for me. The topper is softer under my shoulders and hips so it is relieving pressure there. However, I am not bottoming out on the Lucid. The zoning relieves pressure while holding me up.
- Stomach sleeping, the topper is a bit too soft for me. The center zone does not provide me enough support on my hips. I am sinking too far into the topper and feeling a bit of added strain on my lower back. Most stomach sleepers will want to find a more supportive topper.
Even with the zoned grooves, the Lucid does have that slow-moving memory foam feel. When I lie down on the Lucid, it slowly compresses under my weight. The material is slow to respond so it makes it more difficult for me to move around on the mattress.
Lastly, in terms of temperature, I can say the Lucid does not sleep too warm. The gel infusion does keep the topper from feeling too hot. Also, the zoned grooves allow for air to flow through the topper. I can say I slept relatively cool on the Lucid.
I enjoyed my time with the Lucid 5-Zone Mattress Topper. The zoning makes the topper a great match for back sleeping and side sleeping. At the same time, I was not sleeping too hot. If you have any questions about the Lucid or any other mattress toppers, just leave them in the comment section below.
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- Late Mornings Sateen Duvet Cover Review – Comfy And Eco-Friendly? - November 5, 2019
- Luxome Cooling Weighted Blanket Review – Hot Or Cold? - November 1, 2019
- Innerspring Vs Memory Foam Mattresses – The Ultimate Showdown - October 29, 2019