SafeRest’s Premium Mattress Protector combines waterproof and allergen protection with cotton terry comfort. It could be the perfect protector, there’s just one thing we’d consider changing.
Get The Best Price For This Protector On Amazon
- Sizes available from Twin, Twin XL to Cal King
- 100% Waterproof: Protects perspiration, urine, and fluids
- Hypoallergenic cotton terry surface and back coated with a breathable polyurethane membrane
- Care: Machine washable hot or cold, tumble dry low heat
- 10-Year warranty
- Phthalate, Vinyl and PVC-free
- Fitted sheet style design with elastic band
- 200+ wash durability rating
- Invisa-Shield Technology – will not change the feel of the mattress Noiseless
- Fits mattresses up to 18-inches deep
SafeRest provides a video that highlights the features of their mattress protectors.
- Easy to care for
- Invisible feel
- Affordable price (see price on Amazon)
- Waterproof only on mattress surface (not an encasement mattress)
- Extra/loose fabric allow for movement
- Noise from loose material
As with most waterproof mattress protectors, it is important to make sure to wash the protector according to its specific directions. It is easy to mess up the membrane on the protector that affects the waterproof barrier if the dryer is set too hot.
*SafeRest says: We recommend washing the protector before initial use to remove any packaging odors there might be.
Here is how SafeRest suggests the protector be maintained:
- Wash with cold to hot water using normal household detergents that do not contain bleach
- Do not use bleach- Using any type of bleach product will destroy the waterproof lining of our protectors
- Do not dry clean- Harsh chemicals used in dry cleaning will damage the waterproof lining of the protector
- It is recommended to tumble dry on low heat together with your bed sheets, towels or other clothing
- Do not dry on high heat. This will damage the waterproof layer of the protector
- Do not iron- This will damage the waterproof lining of the protector
It is very important not to dry the protector on high heat. This mistake will ruin your protector. Brown burn marks on the protector indicates that the product was dried on high heat or got stuck in the heating element of the dryer. This is not covered in the warranty. Please see washing instructions above.
To test the waterproof properties of the mattress protector, I poured 10 ounces of water in the middle of the protector in a concentrated area to mimic a large spill or accident.
The cotton terry almost immediately absorbed the water. I waited two hours and had no dampness, moisture or any leaks onto the second mattress protector below my mattress.
The mattress protector passed the waterproof test for me. However, some reviewers had issues with liquids seeping through the protector and ruining the mattress.
In the past few years, there has been a lot of attention around the toxicity of plastics, including PVC (also known as polyvinyl chloride or vinyl).
Products that contain vinyl or PVC – like mattress protectors and curtains – can release toxins into the air (often called off-gassing) that have negative health effects. This is especially concerning for babies or small children whose bodies are still developing.
It is best to avoid using products made of PVC or Vinyl – especially for people with young children.
It appears that SafeRest’s waterproof backing on its protector is made from polyurethane.
I was not able to feel the cotton terry material under my lightweight bamboo sheets.
I had a small issue with overall fit. The protector can fit mattresses up to 18-inches, so there may be extra material on thinner mattresses.
I have a 10-inch thick mattress and felt that there was extra material hanging over the sides of my mattress. It did allow for extra movement on the bed as well.
Other customers had trouble with the fit of the protector, too.
This extra movement did generate some crinkling or “noise” underneath the bamboo sheets. I think if the mattress protector fit my mattress better there would be less of a noise issue.
Other customers found issues with the noise from their protector, as well.
Price does vary depending on where the protector is purchased. On SafeRest’s website, the premium protector retails for $49.95 for a Twin all the way to $89.95 for a Cal King. The Queen size retails for $69.95 but it may be heavily discounted on retail sites like Amazon.
On Amazon, however, this protector ranges in price from $25 for a Twin to $35 for a California King, which makes it very affordable regardless of mattress size.
If a lower price is available (most likely on Amazon), then I think it is worth considering.
This protector comes with a 10-year warranty that does come with some conditions and exclusions which are worth reviewing. Do note that they offer a Classic Plus mattress protector and that has a 3-year warranty.
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- How Genetics Impact Our Sleep - March 23, 2020
- Amerisleep Comfort Classic Pillow Review – The Perfect Foam Pillow? - March 20, 2020
- Best Cotton Sheets – Tried and Tested! - March 3, 2020