The P-5 is Sleep Number’s most popular mattress, with a great balance of firmness and cushion. Those who are looking for a little bit extra may want to splurge on the I-LE model. We’ve put together a guide filled with details on each mattress to help you decide which one is best for you.
- Both models are pillow top mattresses (European-style vs. Duvet-style)
- A variety of standard sizes – including FlexTop
- Individual or dual air chamber options with DualAir™ adjustability
Both come with this optional feature:
FlexFit™ Adjustable Bases
- 11” mattress profile
- European style pillow top design that includes 2” of hypersoft quilting foam for a plush surface
- 2” of proprietary PlushFit foam- supportive foam is designed exclusively for Sleep Number to naturally conform to your curves
- 5 zones specifically designed to contour to your head, shoulders, lower back, hips, and knees
- Mattress fabric is made with a rayon/polypropylene blend for smoothness and durability
- $2,099.99 for a Queen
- 14” mattress profile
- Duvet-style pillowtop that includes: hypersoft quilting foam for a plush surface
- 3” of Exclusive Comfort Layer foam – enhanced with a breathable airflow design to help balance your sleeping temperature
- 2” foam base pad underneath the air chamber(s)
- Polyester/polypropylene soft and breathable fabric so you sleep comfortably.
- Sleep IQ Technology is included
- $4,899 for a Queen size
What I Found From Several Live Chat Sessions
After speaking with Sleep Number Customer Service representatives, I learned about a few extra details that may help you decide between a P-5 or an I-LE mattress.
- Mattress Top: The mattress tops are both pillowtops but they have different styles and can be accessed in the mattress differently. The European-style of the P-5 is less tall and has a smaller pillowtop than the I-LE. It can be accessed from one zipper in the mattress where you can get to all the components. The I-LE has a larger pillowtop and its own zipped up portion of the mattress (for two zippers total), according to Customer Service.
- Popularity: The P-5 model is Sleep Number’s most popular bed. The salesperson I spoke to at a Sleep Number store said it had a good balance between cushion and natural firmness from the air chambers.
- Firmness: The I-LE has more layers, so it may come as no surprise that it is the least firm of both mattresses. While P-5 is very popular, the Customer Service representative told me that, people who “love the cloud-feel or softer mattresses ” will generally get the I-LE because of its duvet-style pillowtop.
Which Should You Pick?
- You are a Side Sleeper. Customer Service representatives told me that the P-5 would be a better choice than the I-LE for side sleepers because the 2” PlushFit comfort foam layers contains five zones for body contouring and pressure relief – including the hip area. She said: If you want to feel the pressure point relief in targeted areas of your body to ensure that you’re properly supported throughout the night, I would strongly recommend the p5 for you.
- You Want To Save Some Cash. There is a $2,800 price difference between Queen size P-5 and I-LE mattresses. Deciding on the P-5 means you will not get the soft duvet-style pillowtop or a 3” enhanced foam comfort layer with breathability, but it does make it easier to consider accessories like Sleep IQ Technology or the FlexFit Adjustable Base.
- You Are A Hot Sleeper. The 3” exclusive comfort foam layer in the I-LE is designed for airflow and breathability, making it a cooler mattress than the P-5, which has no cooling technology. The I-LE has cooling built into the comfort layer and not the mattress top like the I-8 model or I-10 model.
- You Like Cushioning. The I-LE is a better fit for those who aren’t interested in a naturally firm mattress. You can still adjust your level of support with your Sleep Number setting, but the I-LE’s 3” foam comfort layer and tall, soft duvet-style pillow top will keep you nicely cushioned while you sleep, as compared to the P-5.
My Personal Opinion
If you choose the bestselling P-5 mattress over the I-LE model, you will save about $2,800 on a Queen size bed. You could actually purchase two Sleep Number beds for the price of the I-LE mattress.
Here is what you get for the price difference:
- Sleep IQ Technology
- 2” foam base pad
- 3” Exclusive Comfort Layer – foam layer with breathability to keep you cool
- Duvet-style luxurious pillowtop
- 3” more inches of mattress profile height (11″ vs 14″)
Personally, I would choose the P-5 mattress over the I-LE model for not only the cost savings, but because you get a foam layer that comes with 5 areas of pressure relief and body contouring.
As someone who sleeps on their side frequently, I like that I will have added pressure relief in that area, even if I am getting 1” less of foam thickness than I would with the I-LE.
Overall, I think there is a reason why people like the P-5 model. It is a good mix of Sleep Number features and provides a balance of cushion and firmness.
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- How To Make Hospital Corners – A Few Simple Steps! - November 7, 2019
- 2019 Veterans Day Mattress Sales – Check Them Out Now! - November 7, 2019
- Pillow Reviews: Purple vs. Purple Plush – Which One Is The Best Fit? - November 1, 2019