The Charcoal Coast Plush is a hybrid mattress. It is one of 20 models in the Simmons Beautyrest Silver collection, which is the most affordable Beautyrest collection.
The Charcoal Coast Plush mattress is approximately 13.5” high and contains:
- Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, a cooling fiber that also stops bacteria and mold growth
- Airfeel™ Foam, an open-celled foam designed to be breathable and promote airflow
- Geltouch® Foam, which is a layer of foam that Simmons says provides “soothing comfort”
- Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, which should relieve pressure
- Backcare® Support, which Simmons describes as coils that are “strategically located in the center third of the mattress [to] enhance contouring back support”
- 815 Density Plush Beautyrest® Pocketed Coil® Technology, which is the innerspring coil technology designed to support the body
The Simmons website says this is an innerspring mattress, but it does incorporate many layers of foam. It really is a hybrid mattress. It’s designed to give people pressure relief without sacrificing support. The coils plus the Backcare® should ensure people are supported on their back, and the soft foam layers should relieve pressure on their shoulders and hips.
This mattress is also designed to sleep cool. The Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, Airfeel™ Foam, and Aircool® Gel Memory Foam dissipate heat. Meanwhile, the coils should allow for good airflow. Overall, people shouldn’t be sleeping hot on the Charcoal Coast Plush.
Simmons states this mattress is Plush. Usually, a plush mattress is softer and therefore a good fit for side sleepers (who need extra pressure relief to cushion their shoulders, hips, and knees).
However, we cannot give a more specific assessment of the firmness without further information.
Common Praise: What Makes This Mattress Stand Out?
- The Charcoal Coast Plush has Backcare® Support technology, which means strategically placed coils will provide extra support for the back.
- Cooling technology from the Dualcool™ Technology Fiber and Aircool® Gel Memory Foam can help keep people from overheating at night.
- A soft mattress usually works well for people who sleep on their side, because it should relieve pressure on their shoulders, hips, and knees.
Common Complaints And Other Things To Note
- A very soft mattress is not a good fit for people who sleep on their stomach or back, as it can misalign the spine while people sleep and cause back pain upon waking. The Backcare® Support may offer the right amount of support for back sleepers, but the mattress is probably too soft for most stomach sleepers.
- The Charcoal Coast Plush is a hybrid mattress with many memory foam layers. It may not be a good fit for people who don’t like the feeling of memory foam.
Why Should People Choose This Over The Other Silver Models?
It’s a plush model, which is usually ideal for side sleepers because it provides decent pressure relief.
The temperature regulation technology in the Dualcool™ Technology Fiber and Aircool® Gel Memory Foam could make the Charcoal Coast Plush a good option for people who tend to overheat while they are sleeping.
It is a hybrid model. Other Beautyrest Silver models are innerspring coil mattresses and don’t utilize foam.
This innerspring coil mattress is 13.5” high and contains Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, Airfeel™ Foam, Geltouch® Foam, Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, Backcare® Support, and 815 Density Plush Beautyrest® Pocketed Coil® Technology.
The Charcoal Coast Plush mattress sounds like a plush mattress that would be a good fit for side sleepers. It may also be supportive enough for some back sleepers. Stomach sleepers and those who need a firmer mattress may want to look elsewhere.
All images from Simmons