The Charcoal Coast Luxury Firm Pillow Top is a hybrid mattress that incorporates foam and coils into its construction. It is part of the Simmons Beautyrest Silver collection, which is the most affordable Beautyrest collection. The collection contains a total of 20 models.
The Charcoal Coast Luxury Firm Pillow Top mattress is approximately 15.5” high and contains:
- Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, a special cooling fiber that contains silver to help prevent bacteria or mold growth
- Aircool® Foam, a temperature-regulating layer
- Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, a pressure-relieving layer
- Geltouch® Foam, a layer that is designed to provide “soothing comfort”
- Backcare® Support, which Simmons describes as “strategically located in the center third of the mattress [to] enhance contouring back support”
- 815 Density Plush Beautyrest® Pocketed Coil® Technology, which includes individual coils that help isolate your movements and evenly support your body
As a hybrid, this mattress is designed to give a balance of support and pressure relief. It should be a firmer mattress overall, and it also has Backcare® Support, which should give extra support in the middle third of the mattress. While it is a firmer mattress, it features many components that will help relieve pressure.
Additionally, the Aircool Foam and coil system should ensure you sleep cool on this mattress.
Simmons states this is Luxury Firm Pillow Top. A firm mattress may be a good fit for back and stomach sleepers.
That being said, the pillow-top adds an extra level of pressure relief. This makes us think it could be a good match for some combination sleepers.
However, we cannot give a more specific assessment of the firmness without further information.
Common Praise: What Makes This Mattress Stand Out?
- This mattress could be a good fit for combination sleepers. Pillow-top mattresses are usually a good fit for people who sleep on their side, because the pillow-top layer can cushion your hips, shoulders, and knees while you sleep. That being said, this is also a firmer mattress with a supportive construction. Together, these elements could make this mattress suitable for a variety of sleeping positions.
- The Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, Aircool® Foam, and Aircool® Gel Memory Foam all work to help keep you cool at night. This means the Charcoal Coast Luxury Firm Pillow Top might be a good pick for people who run hot.
- Hybrid mattresses are usually a nice pick for people who sleep hot but still want some memory foam feel. The coil system promotes airflow and keeps you from overheating.
Common Complaints And Other Things To Note
- A pillow-top tends to degrade and compress after a few years of use, leading to indentations in the mattress that can be uncomfortable.
- Pillow-top mattresses are typically not recommended for people who have a heavier body weight, as the pillow-top material may compress or sink and become uncomfortable.
- Those who sleep primarily on their side may find this mattress to be too firm. The pillow-top and top memory foam layers will add some comfort and pressure relief, but this seems to be a firmer mattress overall. Some side sleepers may want a softer mattress to give them the pressure relief they need.
- The Charcoal Coast Luxury Firm Pillow Top is 15.5” tall, which is considerably taller than other mattresses in the Beautyrest Silver collection. This means that people with mobility issues may struggle to get in and out of bed. Also, tall mattresses may require special deep-pocket sheets, which are an added cost for people who don’t already own them.
Why Should You Choose This Over The Other Silver Models?
This model has a pillow-top. Many other mattresses in the Beautyrest Silver collection do not have a pillow-top.
The mattress contains Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, Aircool® Foam, and Aircool® Gel Memory Foam to keep you cool at night. This means the mattress may be ideal for people who tend to run hot when they sleep.
It is a hybrid model. Other models in the Beautyrest Silver collection are pure innerspring.
This hybrid mattress is 15.5” high and contains Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, Aircool® Foam, Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, Geltouch® Foam, Backcare® Support, and 815 Density Plush Beautyrest® Pocketed Coil® Technology.
The Charcoal Coast Luxury Firm Pillow Top mattress has both supportive and pressure-relieving elements, so it could be a good choice for combination sleepers.
Featured image from Sam’s Club. All other images from Simmons