The Charcoal Coast Extra Firm is a hybrid mattress. It is part of the Simmons Beautyrest Silver collection, which contains 20 different models and is the most affordable Beautyrest collection.
The Charcoal Coast Extra Firm mattress is approximately 13” high and contains:
- Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, a special material that contains silver and is designed to keep people cool and prevent the growth of mold or bacteria
- Aircool® Foam, another material that helps with temperature regulation
- Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, a foam that Simmons designed to relieve pressure
- Backcare® Support, which Simmons describes as coils that are “strategically located in the center third of the mattress [to] enhance contouring back support”
- 815 Density Firm Beautyrest® Pocketed Coil® Technology, which are coils designed to support and contour to the body
This is a firmer mattress that is designed to provide extra support when people are on their back. The foam layers should add a level of pressure relief, so people get a balance of comfort and support.
In addition, the Dualcool™ Technology Fiber and Aircool® foams help dissipate heat, and the coils allow for airflow. Together, these factors mean the mattress is designed to make sure people don’t sleep hot.
Simmons states this mattress is Extra Firm. In general, extra firm mattresses are a good choice for people who sleep on their stomach or back, because the firmer feel helps support the spine and keep it aligned in a neutral position.
That being said, we cannot give a more specific assessment of the firmness without further information.
Common Praise: What Makes This Mattress Stand Out?
- The Charcoal Coast Extra Firm might be a good mattress for people who tend to overheat at night. It contains the following cooling technologies: Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, Aircool® Foam, and Aircool® Gel Memory Foam.
- If people sleep on their back or stomach, this extra firm model might be a good fit. A firm mattress can help keep the spine in a healthy, comfortable alignment while people sleep.
- The Charcoal Coast Extra Firm is a hybrid mattress, which means it incorporates both coils and memory foam layers. This makes it a good fit for people who like the bouncy, springy feeling of coils under the enveloping, sinking feeling of memory foam.
Common Complaints And Other Things To Note
- Firm and extra firm mattresses can potentially put pressure on the joints (including the knees, hips, and shoulders). So if people sleep on their side, the Charcoal Coast Extra Firm may not be a good fit for them.
- If people prefer a softer bed, this will not be a good fit for them. Simmons describes this mattress as “extra firm,” so it is likely not plush or soft.
- If people are looking for the sinking, enveloping feeling offered by all-foam mattresses, this mattress will not be ideal. Even though it has memory foam, they might not sink in completely. If it’s important to them to feel like they’re sleeping “in” their mattress (instead of “on” it), then they should look for an all-foam mattress.
Why Should People Choose This Over The Other Silver Models?
Simmons describes this model as “extra firm,” meaning it’s likely much firmer than other models in the Beautyrest Silver collection.
This model contains Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, Aircool® Foam, and Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, making it a good choice for people who sleep hot and are seeking a mattress with cooling technology.
It is a hybrid mattress. Other Beautyrest Silver models are pure innerspring mattresses.
This innerspring coil mattress is 13” high and contains Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, Aircool® Foam, Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, Backcare® Support, and 815 Density Firm Beautyrest® Pocketed Coil® Technology.
The Charcoal Coast Extra Firm mattress is described as extra firm, so is likely a nice choice for back or stomach sleepers and for folks who prefer a firmer mattress overall. If people sleep on their side or prefer a very soft mattress, this is probably not a good option for them.
All images from Simmons
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- AeroBed Air Mattress Review – A Luxury Option? - February 21, 2020
- Casper Humidity Fighting Duvet Review – Great For Hot Sleepers? - February 18, 2020
- Best Down Alternative Comforter 2020 - February 17, 2020