The Charcoal Coast Extra Firm is a hybrid mattress. It is part of the Simmons Beautyrest Silver collection, which contains 20 different models and is the most affordable Beautyrest collection.
The Charcoal Coast Extra Firm mattress is approximately 13” high and contains:
- Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, a special material that contains silver and is designed to keep you cool and prevent the growth of mold or bacteria
- Aircool® Foam, another material that helps with temperature regulation
- Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, a foam that Simmons designed to relieve pressure
- Backcare® Support, which Simmons describes as coils that are “strategically located in the center third of the mattress [to] enhance contouring back support”
- 815 Density Firm Beautyrest® Pocketed Coil® Technology, which are coils designed to support and contour to your body
This is a firmer mattress that is designed to provide extra support when you are on your back. The foam layers should add a level of pressure relief, so you get a balance of comfort and support.
In addition, the Dualcool™ Technology Fiber and Aircool® foams help dissipate heat, and the coils allow for airflow. Together, these factors mean the mattress is designed to make sure you don’t sleep hot.
Simmons states this mattress is Extra Firm. In general, extra firm mattresses are a good choice for people who sleep on their stomach or back, because the firmer feel helps support the spine and keep it aligned in a neutral position.
That being said, we cannot give a more specific assessment of the firmness without further information.
Common Praise: What Makes This Mattress Stand Out?
- The Charcoal Coast Extra Firm might be a good mattress for people who tend to overheat at night. It contains the following cooling technologies: Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, Aircool® Foam, and Aircool® Gel Memory Foam.
- If you sleep on your back or stomach, this extra firm model might be a good fit. A firm mattress can help keep your spine in a healthy, comfortable alignment while you sleep.
- The Charcoal Coast Extra Firm is a hybrid mattress, which means it incorporates both coils and memory foam layers. This makes it a good fit for people who like the bouncy, springy feeling of coils under the enveloping, sinking feeling of memory foam.
Common Complaints And Other Things To Note
- Firm and extra firm mattresses can potentially put pressure on the joints (including your knees, hips, and shoulders). So if you sleep on your side, the Charcoal Coast Extra Firm may not be a good fit for you.
- If you prefer a softer bed, this will not be a good fit for you. Simmons describes this mattress as “extra firm,” so it is likely not plush or soft.
- If you are looking for the sinking, enveloping feeling offered by all-foam mattresses, this mattress will not be ideal. Even though it has memory foam, you might not sink in completely. If it’s important to you to feel like you’re sleeping “in” your mattress (instead of “on” it), then you should look for an all-foam mattress.
Why Should You Choose This Over The Other Silver Models?
Simmons describes this model as “extra firm,” meaning it’s likely much firmer than other models in the Beautyrest Silver collection.
This model contains Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, Aircool® Foam, and Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, making it a good choice for people who sleep hot and are seeking a mattress with cooling technology.
It is a hybrid mattress. Other Beautyrest Silver models are pure innerspring mattresses.
This innerspring coil mattress is 13” high and contains Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, Aircool® Foam, Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, Backcare® Support, and 815 Density Firm Beautyrest® Pocketed Coil® Technology.
The Charcoal Coast Extra Firm mattress is described as extra firm, so is likely a nice choice for back or stomach sleepers and for folks who prefer a firmer mattress overall. If you sleep on your side or prefer a very soft mattress, this is probably not a good option for you.
All images from Simmons
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- Tuft & Needle Mint Vs. Casper Mattress Comparison – Which Is Best For You? - September 12, 2019
- Best Memory Foam Mattress Toppers – Which Is The One For You? - September 11, 2019
- Cushion Lab Calm Embrace Weighted Blanket Review – Will It Help You Sleep Better? - September 10, 2019