The Austin Reef Plush is a hybrid mattress. It is one of 20 models in the Simmons Beautyrest Silver collection, which is the most affordable Beautyrest collection.
Construction And Materials
The Austin Reef Plush mattress is approximately 13” high and contains:
- Dualcool™ Technology Memory Foam, which prevents overheating by moving heat away from the surface of the mattress
- Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, a gel foam designed by Simmons to relieve pressure
- Geltouch® Foam, which provides “soothing comfort”
- 1000 Density Firm Beautyrest® Pocketed Coil® Technology, which supports the body and isolates movement
The use of both foam and coils in this mattress is designed to give people both pressure relief and support. In addition, the use of cooling foams and airflow-promoting pocketed coils should ensure people don’t overheat when they are on this mattress.
Simmons states this mattress is Plush. Plush often means that the mattress offers good pressure relief and could be a bit softer. However, we cannot give a more specific assessment of the firmness without further information.
Common Praise: What Makes This Mattress Stand Out?
- If people like a softer, plush mattress, this might be a good fit. Simmons describes the Austin Reef Plush as “plush.”
- The Dualcool™ Technology Memory Foam and Aircool® Gel Memory Foam are designed to dissipate heat. Also, the coil technology helps with airflow. Together, these factors should help keep people cool at night.
- A plush mattress should relieve pressure on the hips, shoulders, and/or knees. If people sleep primarily on their side, this could be a good mattress for them.
Common Complaints And Other Things To Note
- A soft mattress is not always ideal for back or stomach sleepers. That’s because it may not support the spine properly in these positions, which can lead to back pain. Stomach sleepers especially need extra support to ensure their hips don’t sink in too far and throw the spine out of alignment.
- This mattress contains three layers of memory foam, so it’s not a good fit for people who dislike the soft, enveloping feeling of memory foam.
- The Austin Reef Plush is a hybrid mattress. Hybrid models can be heavy because they contain layers of both foam and coils. The weight can be an issue, especially when transporting the mattress.
Why Should People Choose This Over The Other Silver Models?
It’s a softer model, which may be good for people who sleep on their sides. The softness may help relieve pressure around the shoulders, hips, or knees.
It contains cooling memory foam, which is good for people who run hot at night.
It is a hybrid model. Other mattresses in the collection contain only coil technology without memory foam.
This hybrid mattress is 13” high and contains Dualcool™ Technology Memory Foam, Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, Geltouch® Foam, and 1000 Density Firm Beautyrest® Pocketed Coil® Technology.
The Austin Reef Plush mattress should be a plush, softer mattress, so it could be good for side sleepers. It has numerous components that are designed to keep people cool while they sleep. Also, it is a hybrid mattress, so it incorporates both memory foam and coils in its construction.
These features may be appealing to certain types of sleepers, but if people back or stomach sleepers and/or don’t like the feeling of memory foam, they may want to look elsewhere.
All images from Simmons