I have received a few messages asking me to compare Saatva to different Tempur-Pedic models. I thought I would put together a few thoughts on this, because Saatva is a very different option from the Tempur-Pedic line of mattresses. If you are looking at both of these companies, you should know these differences because the experience you will get sleeping on one versus the other will be quite different.
- Both are well respected companies
- Both have lots of reviews available over a period of many years
- Saatva sells online-only, while Tempur-Pedic is available in retail stores
- Saatva is priced much lower
- Saatva has one model with 3 firmness options, while Tempur-Pedic has a full line of many different models
- Saatva has an innerspring with euro pillow top construction, while Tempur-Pedic has a line of memory foam mattresses
Construction / Feel
This is the biggest difference between the two companies. While Tempur-Pedic now has a few models that have incorporated innerspring units, it is known as a memory foam company. If you are looking into Tempur-Pedic, then you are most likely looking to get a memory foam mattress. Saatva follows a more traditional innerspring construction.
The feel of the Saatva versus the line of Tempur-Pedic mattresses is very different and roughly follows the main differences between an innerspring and memory foam mattress. The Tempur-Pedic mattresses generally have that slow-reacting, sinking in feel that is fairly typical of high quality memory foam. Saatva has a sturdier, more standard feel where you feel that you sleep “on” the mattress rather than “in” the mattress.
Given the vast difference in construction and feel, I would first start out by analyzing which type of feel you are used to and that you prefer, as this should potentially be the biggest determinant of which mattress to get.
The videos below show off the general difference in feel. The second video is of the Tempur-Cloud Supreme, but most of the Tempur-Pedic mattresses will have the same responsiveness (the firmness levels will be different).
Tempur-Pedic has done an amazing job of marketing and branding over the years. It is a household name and has become synonymous with memory foam. You might even say they created the memory foam mattress category. As a result of this solid branding, their line of mattresses tends to be priced fairly high. They also mainly sell into retail stores, which then mark the product up substantially. As a result, the consumer ends up paying a lot of money to get a Tempur-Pedic.
Saatva sells direct to consumer, so it avoids the extra markups and costs associated with the standard retail business model. As a result, the price of the product is much more affordable to consumers. Cutting out the “middle man” is a great value-proposition for consumers.
Saatva’s business model allows them to price their product much lower than the Tempur-Pedic line of mattresses.
Tempur-Pedic is a big line of mattresses. If someone goes to a retail store, they can have a salesperson help them navigate through the line and help them identify the optimal mattress for them (or start with my Tempurpedic reviews). People can certainly do their own research too, but this is nice if they feel like they need help deciding which mattress is ideal for them.
Saatva simplifies everything by just providing one product. They tried to make a product fit for all types of sleepers. This makes the research process pretty simple because consumers just have one option. Learn more in my Saatva review.
You Might Want To Pick Saatva If:
- You Want To Save Money– In my opinion Saatva is the better value because it prices its mattress so much lower (from the online-only business model). It gives people the opportunity to get a high-quality mattress at a more affordable price.
- You Prefer Traditional Spring Mattresses– If people like the feeling of more sleeping “on” their mattress and having a little bit of bounce, then Saatva is the way to go.
You Might Want To Pick Tempur-Pedic If:
- You Love Memory Foam– Memory foam tends to be a love it or hate it type of thing. If someone is in the “love” category, then Tempur-Pedic is definitely the right choice.
- You Want A Very Specific Firmness Level– Tempur-Pedic has a mattress for just about every firmness level someone could want. Saatva is a great fit for the majority of sleepers, but if there is a very specific firmness level someone wants, then having the full line of Tempur-Pedic mattresses with different firmness levels may be the more appropriate choice.
If someone is looking at these two companies, they should know that they are significantly different. It’s hard to say one is better than the other. People should decide which type of feel they like first, as that should be a big determinant of which mattress they should get. There are certainly tradeoffs in selecting on over the other. Saatva represents the much better value because of its business model and price. Tempur-Pedic has decades of experience and branding behind it. If someone does a little bit of thinking and research on their own, they should be able to come to a good decision between the two companies.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Best Mattress For Hip Pain 2020 - March 13, 2020
- Best Pillow Top Mattress 2020 - March 5, 2020
- Amerisleep AS3 Hybrid Mattress Review – A Great Balance Of Comfort And Support? - March 4, 2020