Saatva and Helix are two popular online mattress companies that offer very different options. Saatva offers a more traditional innerspring mattress, while Helix allows you to get a mattress customized to your individual needs. We have received some emails asking us to compare the two, so I’ll try to highlight the main differences in this article.
- Similar business model / value proposition
- Both have a history of great reviews
- Both have great customer service
- Both have great sleep trials and return policies
- The Helix is 10 inches thick, while the Saatva has 11.5 and 14.5 inch thickness options
- Helix sells a Queen for $995 with free shipping (you can usually get a $50 coupon too). Saatva sells for $999 but you pay for shipping and there are no coupons
- Saatva is an innerspring mattress, while Helix offers a fully customized mattress consisting of microcoils, polyfoam, and specialty “dynamic” polyfoam
- Saatva has a traditional innerspring feel, while the feel of the Helix depends on the answers to your customization quiz.
Helix uses three components, dynamic foam, polyfoam, and microcoils. How they are layered together depends on the answers to your customization quiz. They are all good quality materials, but they feel of the mattress will be different based on the answers to your quiz.
Saatva has a more traditional spring mattress construction. There is a base layer of coils, and above that is another layer of pocketed coils. Above that is a layer of memory foam and then a quilted layer, which has a euro pillow style design. The center third of the mattress is thicker and firmer in order to provide support for the heavier parts of the body.
The feel of the Helix will change depending on the answers to your customization quiz. The video below shows off the feel of the Saatva. You definitely get a more “on” the mattress feel and to me it has a study innerspring feel to it.
You Might Want To Pick Helix If:
- You Sleep With A Partner With Different Preferences– Helix allows you to customize two sides of the mattress. If your partner has different sleeping preferences, then Helix could be a great option for you.
- You Aren’t Sure What Kind Of Mattress You Want To Get– If you really don’t know what you want, Helix is a great option because the customization process can guide you on the right path.
You Might Want To Pick Saatva If:
- You Are Used To Traditional Spring Mattresses– The majority of people are mainly used to the feel of spring mattresses. If you are one of those people and you like that feel, then Saatva is probably the way to go.
- You Are Heavier– Saatva is thicker and it uses a coil-on-coil construction that will most likely be more supportive and durable for people of heavier weight.
Which Should You Pick?
These mattresses are very different. If you prefer the feel of a traditional spring mattress, Saatva is definitely the way to go. If you really aren’t sure and want to experiment with a new concept, Helix is a great choice too.