Mattress shopping can definitely be overwhelming, and if someone is a heavier sleeper, they may find even more difficulty finding an awesome mattress.
If someone is in the market for a mattress for heavy people, they might have come across the Saatva HD and WinkBeds Plus, which are two popular mattresses made just for larger people.
This article will go through the construction of both mattresses and highlights the key similarities and differences between the two to help consumers make a more informed decision.
- They are both made specifically for larger people and are both very supportive mattresses.
- They both feature a hybrid design have a pillow-top feel.
- They are very similar in terms of height and overall level of support.
- The WinkBeds is more affordable than the Saatva HD and is also noticeably softer.
- The Saatva HD has more layers than the WinkBeds and more of a luxury design than the WinkBeds Plus does.
Saatva HD Construction
- The Saatva HD is 15.5″ tall and consists of five separate layers if the quilting layer is included.
- The cover is made of organic cotton, tufted and quilted with comfort foam to give the mattress some nice softness and pressure relief.
- The top also contains Guardin, a treatment that is antimicrobial.
- Then there is a layer of ventilated, zoned Talalay latex foam, which gives the mattress some responsiveness, bounce, and breathability.
- Below this is a layer of memory foam, which provides additional pressure relief and body contouring.
- Next, there is a layer of support foam that works as a transition layer between the comfort and support layers
- In the support layer, there are 12.5 gauge tempered steel coils, which are highly supportive, durable, and breathable.
Read the full Saatva HD mattress review, available here.
WinkBeds Plus Construction
- The WinkBeds is 15″ tall and is comprised of four distinct layers.
- The tencel fabric cover is soft and quilted with 2″ of a high-density Body Impression Proof Foam to provide additional pressure relief to the mattress.
- The first layer is 2.5″ of an open-celled, seven-zoned latex support layer, which is bouncy, resilient, and durable.
- Next, there are 7.5″ of a three-zone, TexasQUAD individually wrapped support coil system that is highly supportive for people of really any weight.
- Finally, the base layer is 3″ of a high-density polyfoam that the steel coils can rest on.
- Both mattresses are very supportive and should be a great match for heavy people. Both the Saatva HD and WinkBeds Plus feature zoned, supportive coils and a zoned latex layer. They should both be able to handle significantly heavier weights.
- These should both be very durable mattresses because they feature latex, which won’t sag as quickly as most memory foams. In addition, they both contain supportive, high-grade coils, but I would say the Saatva HD will be the longer-lasting mattress because of the addition of high-density of memory foam.
- The Saatva HD and WinkBeds Plus should both be breathable mattresses. The coils on both mattresses should promote airflow, and the Saatva HD contains ventilated latex, while the WinkBeds Plus contains open-celled latex. These should also help make the mattresses more breathable and cooler sleeping.
- These mattresses should have a very similar feel because of the similar materials used in the construction. The latex toward the top of both mattresses adds a bit of bounce, while the pillow-top adds a plush feel on top. Both mattresses have that high-end, hotel mattress feel.
In terms of firmness, the Saatva HD feels like an 8/10 and the WinkBeds Plus feels like a 7.5/10. I will note that I weigh 230 lb. If you weigh more or less than me, you might have a different experience.
Here is how it felt while sleeping on the Saatva HD:
- Lying on my back, I feel great support on the Saatva HD. My hips sink in just the right amount, and I also feel the extra support from the zoned latex and coil layers.
- Moving to my side, I am feeling a bit of firmness on my shoulders and my hips. However, the pressure relief is still decent. I think if you are heavier than me, you could press in further and feel even better pressure relief.
- When I am stomach sleeping, I feel very well supported. My hips don’t bow in whatsoever, and I feel like my spine is staying in proper, neutral alignment.
Here is how it felt while sleeping on the WinkBeds Plus:
- Starting on my back, the WinkBeds Plus is a good match. My hips sink into the pillow-top layer, and I feel the support of the latex and coils beneath that.
- When I move to my side, I am feeling some more pressure on my shoulders and hips. While this is the softer mattress, I think I feel better pressure relief on the Saatva HD.
- While stomach sleeping, I feel like the WinkBeds Plus is supporting me enough. This firmer-than-average mattress is ensuring that my hips don’t bow into the mattress.
These mattresses both have a very similar, hotel mattress feel. They both feature supportive coils and some bouncy latex near the top. When you add a pillow-top to both mattresses, their feel is almost identical.
See more of what I thought about Saatva HD’s firmness and feel in the video below.
Now, see what I thought of the WinkBeds Plus’s firmness and feel in the vide below.
Motion Transfer Differences
If someone sleeps with a partner, it is always worth thinking about motion transfer. When people lie down on one side of the mattress and their partner moves around on the other side, will they feel this movement?
During my tests, neither mattress featured the best motion isolation, most likely because of the steel coils used in the support layer.
However, I would say that the Saatva HD performs just a bit better. It has some high-density memory foam in the comfort layer, and this is probably absorbing some of that movement. This means it could be the better couples mattress who don’t want to be disturbed by their partner’s movements.
See how the Saatva HD handles motion transfer in the video below.
Now, compare this to the WinkBeds Plus’s motion transfer in the video below.
If you sleep with a partner or just want to use every inch of your mattress, you should also think about edge support. When sitting or lying down near the edge of the mattress, will you feel secure or will you feel like you are going to fall off?
Both the Saatva HD and Helix PLUS feature supportive coils with foam encasement. When sitting down near the edge of both mattresses, I feel very secure. While lying down, I don’t feel like I am going to roll off.
People can see the great edge support in the photos below.
Pick Saatva HD If …
- You are looking for a long-term investment- While these are both durable mattresses, the Saatva HD should last a bit longer. It contains thicker coils and more premium materials. You will spend some more money up front, but the Saatva HD should be a good, long-term investment.
- You want a firmer mattress- These are both firm mattresses, but the Saatva HD is even firmer. If you need more support or just like the feel of a firm mattress, the Saatva HD should be the better choice.
- You are a much larger person- Both of these mattresses are designed to handle heavier weights. However, the Saatva HD should be able to handle even heavier weights than the WinkBeds Plus. If you are over 350 lb, the Saatva HD should offer you better support than the WinkBeds Plus.
Pick WinkBeds Plus If …
- You are looking for a more affordable mattress- If you think both these mattresses could be a good fit, choosing the WinkBeds Plus could save you some money. It is more affordable than the Saatva HD, so you will spend less money up front.
- You want something a bit softer- Between the two mattresses, the WinkBeds Plus is noticeably softer. Whether someone wants some more pressure relief or would just like a little more give in their mattress, the WinkBeds Plus is an excellent choice.
- You are a heavier person between 250 and 350 lb- Larger people who don’t weigh more than 350 lb should get the support they need on the WinkBeds Plus. If you fall into this weight range, choosing the WinkBeds Plus over the Saatva HD could save you some money up front without sacrificing support.
In the end, it shouldn’t be difficult to choose between the Saatva HD and WinkBeds Plus, because the differences are fairly significant.
The Saatva HD is a better fit for those who want a long-term investment with some more firmness, while the WinkBeds Plus should work better for those who want to save some money and want a bit softer mattress.
Leave any questions you have about the Saatva HD and WinkBeds Plus in the comments below!
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- Firm Vs Soft Mattress – Which Is Best? - March 10, 2020
- Intex Air Mattress Review – Great For A Guest Room? - February 26, 2020
- AeroBed Air Mattress Review – A Luxury Option? - February 21, 2020