Ah, mattress shopping. It can be so overwhelming. And if you are a larger person, it is even more difficult. You need to find a mattress that is comfortable, supportive, and durable.
If you’re in the market for a mattress for heavy people, you might have come across the Saatva HD and WinkBeds Plus. They are two popular mattresses made just for larger people.
However, you are only going to choose one. I have the information you need to help you find the right mattress for you. Construction, similarities, differences: we’ll cover it all.
Which mattress is right for you? Read on for my full comparison.
- They are both made specifically for larger people.
- They are both very supportive mattresses.
- They both feature a hybrid design.
- They both have a pillow-top feel.
- They are very similar in terms of height.
- The WinkBeds is more affordable than the Saatva HD.
- The WinkBeds is a bit softer than the Saatva HD.
- The Saatva HD has more layers than the WinkBeds.
- The Saatva HD has more of a luxury design than the WinkBeds Plus.
Saatva HD Construction
- The Saatva HD is 15.5″ tall.
- The cover is made of organic cotton, tufted and quilted with comfort foam.
- The top also contains Guardin, a treatment that is antimicrobial.
- Then you have a layer of ventilated, zoned Talalay latex foam.
- Below this is a layer of memory foam.
- Next, there is a layer of support foam.
- In the support layer, you have 12.5 gauge tempered steel coils.
Read the full Saatva HD mattress review.
WinkBeds Plus Construction
- The WinkBeds is 15″ tall.
- The cover is soft and quilted with 2″ of a high-density Body Impression Proof Foam. It also contains Tencel fabric.
- The first layer is 2.5″ of an open-celled, seven-zoned latex support layer.
- Next, there are 7.5″ of a three-zone, TexasQUAD individually wrapped support coil system.
- Finally, the base layer is 3″ of a high-density polyfoam.
- Both mattresses are very supportive and should be a great match for heavy people. Both the Saatva HD and WinkBeds Plus feature zoned, supportive coils and a zoned latex layer. They should both be able to handle heavier weights.
- These should both be very durable mattresses. They feature latex, which won’t sag as quickly as most memory foams. In addition, they both contain supportive, high-grade coils. However, I would say the Saatva HD will be the longer-lasting mattress because of the addition of high-density of memory foam.
- The Saatva HD and WinkBeds Plus should both be breathable mattresses. The coils on both mattresses should promote airflow. Also, the Saatva HD contains ventilated latex, and the WinkBeds Plus contains open-celled latex. These should also help make the mattresses more breathable.
- These mattresses should have a very similar feel. The latex toward the top of both mattresses adds a bit of bounce, while the pillow-top adds a plush feel on top. Both mattresses have that high-end, hotel mattress feel.
In terms of firmness, the Saatva HD feels like an 8/10 and the WinkBeds Plus feels like a 7.5/10. I will note that I weigh 230 lb. If you weigh more or less than me, you might have a different experience.
Here is how I feel while sleeping on the Saatva HD:
- Lying on my back, I feel great support on the Saatva HD. My hips sink in just the right amount, and I also feel the extra support from the zoned latex and coil layers.
- Moving to my side, I am feeling a bit of firmness on my shoulders and my hips. However, the pressure relief is still decent. I think if you are heavier than me, you could press in further and feel even better pressure relief.
- When I am stomach sleeping, I feel very well supported. My hips don’t bow in whatsoever, and I feel like my spine is staying in proper, neutral alignment.
Here is how I feel while sleeping on the WinkBeds Plus:
- Starting on my back, the WinkBeds Plus is a good match. My hips sink into the pillow-top layer, and I feel the support of the latex and coils beneath that.
- When I move to my side, I am feeling some more pressure on my shoulders and hips. While this is the softer mattress, I think I feel better pressure relief on the Saatva HD.
- While stomach sleeping, I feel like the WinkBeds Plus is supporting me enough. This firmer-than-average mattress is ensuring that my hips don’t bow into the mattress.
These mattresses both have a very similar, hotel mattress feel. They both feature supportive coils and some bouncy latex near the top. When you add a pillow-top to both mattresses, their feel is almost identical.
See more of what I thought about Saatva HD’s firmness and feel in the video below.
Now, see what I thought of the WinkBeds Plus.
Motion Transfer Differences
If you sleep with a partner, it is always worth thinking about motion transfer. When you lie down on one side of the mattress and your partner moves around on the other side, will you feel this movement?
During my tests, neither mattress featured the best motion isolation.
However, I would say that the Saatva HD performs just a bit better. It has some high-density memory foam in the comfort layer, and this is probably absorbing some of that movement. This means it could be the better couples mattress.
See how the Saatva HD handles motion transfer.
Now, compare this to the WinkBeds Plus.
If you sleep with a partner or just want to use every inch of your mattress, you should also think about edge support. When sitting or lying down near the edge of the mattress, will you feel secure or will you feel like you are going to fall off?
Both the Saatva HD and Helix Nightfall feature supportive coils with foam encasement. When sitting down near the edge of both mattresses, I feel very secure. While lying down, I don’t feel like I am going to roll off.
You can see the great edge support in the photos below.
Pick Saatva HD If …
- You are looking for a long-term investment. While these are both durable mattresses, the Saatva HD should last a bit longer. It contains thicker coils and more premium materials. You will spend some more money up front, but the Saatva HD should be a good, long-term investment.
- You want a firmer mattress. These are both firm mattresses, but the Saatva HD is even firmer. If you need more support or just like the feel of a firm mattress, the Saatva HD should be the better choice.
- You are a much larger person. Both of these mattresses are designed to handle heavier weights. However, the Saatva HD should be able to handle even heavier weights than the WinkBeds Plus. If you are over 350 lb, the Saatva HD should offer you better support than the WinkBeds Plus.
Pick WinkBeds Plus If …
- You are looking for a more affordable mattress. If you think both these mattresses could be a good fit, choosing the WinkBeds Plus could save you some money. It is more affordable than the Saatva HD, so you will spend less money up front.
- You want something a bit softer. Between the two mattresses, the WinkBeds Plus is softer. Whether you want some more pressure relief or just like a little more give in your mattress, the WinkBeds Plus is a good choice.
- You are a heavier person between 250 and 350 lb. Larger people who don’t weigh more than 350 lb should get the support they need on the WinkBeds Plus. If you fall into this weight range, choosing the WinkBeds Plus over the Saatva HD could save you some money up front without sacrificing support.
In the end, it shouldn’t be difficult to choose between the Saatva HD and WinkBeds Plus.
The Saatva HD is a better fit for those who want a long-term investment with some more firmness.
The WinkBeds Plus should work better for those who want to save some money and want a bit softer mattress.
Leave any questions you have about the Saatva HD and WinkBeds Plus in the comments below!
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- Casper Vs. Emma – Which All-Foam Mattress Is Right For You? - September 18, 2019
- Tuft & Needle Mint Vs. Casper Mattress Comparison – Which Is Best For You? - September 12, 2019
- Best Memory Foam Mattress Toppers – Which Is The One For You? - September 11, 2019