Tempur-Pedic and the new Purple mattresses — Purple 2, 3, and 4 — are both lines of luxury mattresses offered in different levels of firmness. We’ll compare these options in this post to help you determine which might better meet your needs.
- Both are relatively expensive options ($1,299 to $3,499 for the new Purple; $2,099 to $4,198 for different Tempur-Pedic options).
- Both offer thick options. (Purple is 11″ to 13″ thick; Tempur-Pedic goes up to 14″ thick.)
- They offer trials of similar lengths. (Purple offers a 100-day trial; Tempur-Pedic offers a 90-day trial.)
- Both have responsive surfaces.
- Side sleepers can find suitable options from both.
- Both use proprietary foam.
- Both have coil-foam hybrid options.
- Both have multiple firmness options.
- Both offer free shipping.
- The new Purple has a coil system.
- The new Purple has a springier surface.
- Tempur-Pedic offers both coil and all-foam options.
- Tempur-Pedic uses memory foam.
- Tempur-Pedic has more firmness options.
- Tempur-Pedic has softer options.
- Purple uses Smart Comfort Grid foam, a hyper-elastic polymer that is supportive until you put enough pressure onto it to soften it.
New Purple Construction
- Purple 2 is the thinnest and firmest of the new Purple options at 11″ thick. Purple 3 is softer and an inch thicker. Purple 4 is the softest of the three new options and is 13″ thick.
- On top of each version of the new Purple mattress is a layer of Purple’s proprietary, hyper-elastic Smart Comfort Grid. Purple 2 has 2″ of this material, Purple 3 has 3″, and Purple 4 has 4″.
- All versions have half an inch of transition foam separating the gel grid from the coil system.
- The coil system, which comprises the next layer, contains 7.5″ of individually wrapped coils made with a durable material to offer great support.
- A polyfoam outer shell reinforces the edge support.
- An inch of foundational foam comprises the base layer.
- Tempur-Pedic offers a number of mattress constructions. The 11″ thick Tempur-Cloud Supreme, which is one of Tempur-Pedic’s least expensive mattresses, is a popular option, so we’ll use that for our comparison here.
- The top layer uses special fibers and Tempur-Pedic’s “SmartClimate” system to wick away moisture and help you sleep cool.
- Next, the comfort layer uses TEMPUR-ES material, which is especially soft and conforms to the contours of a sleeper’s body.
- The subsequent support layer uses the original TEMPUR memory foam material.
- The base layer offers support and is formulated to help keep the mattress cool.
- The Tempur-Cloud Supreme has a soft, durable zip-off cover.
- Both conform to contours, but the new Purple is more responsive for heavier people.
- The new Purple has coils, while the Tempur-Cloud Supreme is an all-foam model from Tempur-Pedic.
- Purple 2 and 3 are firmer than the Tempur-Cloud Supreme.
- Purple 4 is about as soft as the Tempur-Cloud Supreme, and both are relatively soft options.
- Tempur-Pedic offers softer options than the new Purple.
- Tempur-Pedic has more of a traditional memory foam feel in most of its models.
- The new Purple has a unique combination foam feel because of the proprietary foam it uses in its top layer.
Purple 4 is the most comparable to the Tempur-Cloud Supreme. These are both relatively soft options with responsive surfaces. The new Purple’s unique top material is a bit springier and more responsive than the Tempur-Cloud.
Motion Transfer Differences
Both brands use materials that isolate motion well and are good options for couples. Tempur-Pedic mattresses are well known for isolating motion, and I would give them the advantage here.
Pick The New Purple If …
- You are on the heavier side and/or are looking for a durable mattress. The new Purple’s proprietary, hyper-elastic top material is designed to support weight, and its coils and edge support system also lend extra support. The mattress should be one of the most durable mattresses on the market for people of any weight.
- You want responsiveness. The new Purple has an especially responsive material on top and returns to shape quickly.
Pick Tempur-Pedic If …
- You like memory foam. Tempur-Pedic is the original memory foam mattress brand and has a traditional memory foam feel. If you like this type of feel, that’s what you’ll get from a Tempur-Pedic mattresses.
- You want more firmness choices. Tempur-Pedic is a more established brand with more options to choose from.
The new Purple and Tempur-Pedic both offer some variety, and there’s some overlap in features that might make this a hard choice for some shoppers. Hopefully this comparison helped you get more familiar with each brand so you can better determine which you might prefer.
Please leave any specific questions about Tempur-Pedic or the new Purple in the comments.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.
Latest posts by Joe Auer (see all)
- Casper Vs Casper Hybrid – Which Is Best For You? - May 15, 2019
- 40 Aphrodisiacs From Around the World – Does Sleep Make The List? - May 1, 2019
- Casper Hybrid Mattress Review – How Does It Compare To The Original? - April 24, 2019