The Cool Dream Bed comes from Mattress Firm, a very well-known mattress retailer that recently purchased Sleepy’s.
While most of the mattresses I have been reviewing have come from startup companies, this particular mattress comes from a very well-established player in the industry. As a result, I was excited to give it a try and see how it compares to some of the other bed-in-a-box mattresses. I found that it was pretty great on my side and had a nice cradle effect that some people will like.
This review will cover everything consumers need to know about this mattress, including a full breakdown of the construction, firmness and feel, breathability, durability, support, comfort, and so much more.
EDITOR’S NOTE: The Dream Bed is no longer available. See our best mattress page for some other great options!
Who Will Like The Cool Dream Bed:
- People Who Sleep On Their Side– As my video shows, the mattress is softer than average. It does a really great job of pressure relief. This is especially good if people sleep on their side, where they won’t feel much pressure at all on their shoulder and hip.
- Those Who Like The Sinking In Memory Foam Feel- This is definitely a situation where people sleep “in” the mattress, where it cradles around them (as opposed to sleeping “on” the mattress, like with a traditional innerspring mattress). The mattress is still fairly responsive though, so people won’t feel like they are getting stuck.
- People Who Sleep With A Partner- The Cool Dream Bed really excels with motion isolation. That means if people sleep with a partner, they generally won’t be disturbed by the other person’s movements at night.
- Those Who Have Concerns About Sleeping Hot– The gel layer on top is effective at keeping a cool surface from experience. This is also backed up by good research on the topic.
Who Might Not Like The Cool Dream Bed:
- People Who Like A Traditional Innerspring, “On” The Mattress Feel– If someone is used to innerspring mattresses and the feeling of sleeping “on” the mattress, that’s not really what they get with this mattress.
- Those Who Sleep Mainly On Their Back/Side– The great part about this mattress is its pressure-relieving qualities. This comes into play mainly for those sleeping on their side. If people sleep just on their back or stomach, some might find the mattress to be a little too soft.
The cover is a woven fabric designed to keep the sleeping surface cool, and right below that is a thin layer of cool gel. From my research, having a gel layer is more effective at keeping a cool sleeping surface than having “gel-infused” memory foam. This layer was nice to see for that reason. Below that is 3 inches of memory foam and then 7.5 inches of support foam, which is a pretty standard base layer in the industry.
RELATED: Top Mattresses
As the video shows, it doesn’t take much effort to push down far into the mattress. Overall, I thought the mattress was softer than the average mattress I have reviewed (comparable maybe to the Tempur-Cloud Supreme). To me, that makes it especially good for side sleepers and people of lighter weight. While the memory foam is fairly responsive, sleepers will still get a sinking in feeling that memory foam is known for where the mattress cradles around them. Whether that is good or bad just comes down to personal preference.
As the video shows, the mattress performs exceptionally well when it comes to motion transfer. This means it could be an attractive choice for people who sleep with a partner and don’t want to be disturbed by their movements in bed.
RELATED: Mattress Sizes & Dimensions
The company does a give away a bed for every bed that they sell. That is the most impressive display of social conscience that I have seen yet, so it’s something I thought I’d note here as well.
The Cool Dream Bed can be a great match for the right person. Take a look at the key characteristics I’ve laid out, and you should be able to figure out if it will be a good choice for you.