Eli & Elm’s signature pillow features a soft-knit, removable cover and an adjustable filling that is a mix of two types of memory foam plus polyester fibers. With the support of foam and the softness of down, what’s not to like, right?
Check out our take on the pillow and who we think will love it (and who might not).
- Sizes available:
- Standard: 20” x 26”
- Queen: 20” x 30”
- King: 20” x 36”
- The cover is made from a blend of cotton, nylon, and polyester
- The pillow’s adjustable nature allows you to access the filling through a zipper
- The pillow’s adjustable fill is a combination of polyurethane foam, gel memory foam, and fiberfill
- The cover is moisture-wicking and antimicrobial
- Care: cover can be machine washed on cool with low heat (do not wash filling)
- 45-day return policy
- Made in the USA
Who Makes It?
The pillow is made by bedding brand Eli & Elm. The company makes several types of cotton and bamboo sheets, two different pillows, and a variety of mattress protectors and duvet covers.
The brand also makes an organic cotton pillow designed exclusively for side sleepers. Check out our review of the side sleeper pillow if you’re interested.
The Eli & Elm pillow is a traditional shape. All three sizes are 20″ wide.
The outer cover is a charcoal grey knit made up of cotton, nylon, and polyester with a little bit of texture.
You can remove the cover of the pillow and care for the cover separately.
There is a lining with a zipper that allows you to access the filling. The filling is a mix of two different types of foam (polyurethane foam pieces and blue gel memory foam pieces) as well as fiberfill (or polyester fibers that give a down alternative feel).
- Adjustable nature makes it suitable for nearly all sleeping positions
- Easy to remove cover and machine wash/dry
- Aesthetically pleasing knit design on the cover
- Foam pieces provide support while fiberfill adds down-like feel
- Budget-friendly (all sizes are under $50)
- The filling can become messy when adding/removing
- Larger sleepers or those with broad shoulders who sleep on their side may not have enough loft or firmness
- The pillow does not come overstuffed, so there’s not a ton of fill to work with
Eli & Elm’s original pillow is a foam- and fiber-filled pillow. You get support from the mix of memory foam and gel memory foam pieces, breathability from the air flowing between the foam pieces, and the added smoothness of the polyester fiberfill.
The outer cover is really nice and modern-looking in a dark charcoal grey, and it has a soft-knit feel. You can remove the cover and easily wash and dry it. (See tag for care instructions.)
The pillow is adjustable. There is a lining and another zipper that lets you access the mix of foam and fibers. Be careful when pulling chunks out because it could get messy. I recommend having a big plastic bag handy in case you want to add more filling to the pillow later on.
The pillow isn’t super firm or exceptionally tall, but the foam gives it enough support to work well for the average-sized side and back sleeper (in my opinion, at least!). If you’re a stomach sleeper, you may want to consider removing more of the filling so you don’t strain your head and neck.
I’ll let Marten give you his take below, but I do think that broader shouldered individuals who sleep on their sides may feel like the pillow is not full or firm enough for them. Larger back sleepers may like it, however!
One of my favorite things about this pillow is how affordable it is. It comes in three sizes, and all are under $50 at full price. It’s hard to find a quality, shredded foam and fiber combination pillow — let alone an adjustable one — at that price point!
As a larger person, I had a slightly different experience on the Eli & Elm pillow.
While lying on my back, the pillow is a great fit for me. Even though I am bigger, I feel just the right amount of support when I am back sleeping. My head sinks in just the right amount, and I don’t feel any back strain.
When I move to my side, I do feel somewhat smothered by the pillow. The Eli & Elm pillow is not giving me the support that I need in this position, even with all the fill inside.
After taking out some of the fill, I do feel nice while sleeping on my stomach.
I am a fan of the pillow’s feel. It has a mix of fluffy and responsive bounce. It has a nice, soft feel, but it is also easy to move around.
I think Eli & Elm’s pillow could be a great option if you’re looking for a pillow that is a mix of supportive foam pieces and smoothing fibers and if you’re on a budget.
The pillow is designed well for an average-sized person who sleeps on their side or back. If you sleep on your stomach, you’ll need to remove some of the filling. Larger individuals who sleep on their backs may enjoy the pillow, but it may not be firm enough for larger side sleepers who tend to need the most firmness and loft.
Latest posts by Katie Golde (see all)
- How To Hang Your Blackout Curtains – Just A Few Simple Steps! - September 9, 2019
- ‘LectroFan Classic White Noise Machine Review – Is It Pitch Perfect? - September 5, 2019
- How Alcohol Impacts Sleep – What You Should Know - September 4, 2019