A major drawback to memory foam is the way it can trap heat. I have slept on numerous memory foam mattresses toppers and felt myself overheat throughout the night.
Because of this, I was very excited to try out the Layla Mattress Topper. Like the original Layla mattress, the topper features copper-infused memory foam and Thermogel in the cover; these materials are supposed to promote a cooler sleeping surface. I did not overheat on the original Layla mattress, so I was interested to see how this topper would perform.
Is this a cooler-sleeping memory foam mattress topper? Read on for my full review.
You Might Like The Layla If …
- You are a back sleeper. If you sleep primarily on your back, the Layla should be a good option. It adds a good amount of contouring to whatever mattress you place it on. The soft memory foam conforms to the curves of your body and even presses up into the lumbar area.
- You are a lighter-weight side sleeper. If you are a lighter person and sleep on your side, you should feel some very nice pressure relief on the Layla mattress topper. The memory foam is very soft and should relieve pressure on the shoulders and hips. Heavier people might press through the topper, however.
- You are a hot sleeper but like memory foam. Memory foam is known for trapping heat, so it is usually smart for hot sleepers to be wary of this material. However, the Layla’s memory foam is infused with copper and the cover contains Thermogel. The copper and Thermogel are both meant to help with heat dissipation. You shouldn’t be overheating on the Layla.
You Might Not Like The Layla If …
- You are a stomach sleeper. The Layla does soften the mattress, which means stomach sleepers might not get the support they need on their hips. They may feel themselves bowing in there and find that their spine gets out of alignment. Stomach sleepers might want to consider something more supportive.
- You don’t like memory foam. The Layla has that classic memory foam feel. It is very slow-moving and not very responsive. If you don’t like this “quick sandy” feel or you worry about getting stuck in your mattress, the Layla might not be the best choice for you.
- You’re looking for a budget-friendly mattress topper. While you do get a lot with the Layla topper, it is not the most affordable option. It is currently priced at $270 for a Queen size. There are much more affordable memory foam toppers out there that might fit more people’s budgets.
Construction And Options
- The Layla topper is 2″ thick.
- The cover is very soft and is infused with Thermogel. This material is designed to help dissipate heat.
- Then you have 2″ of soft memory foam.
- Layla also infuses the memory foam with copper, which is antimicrobial and cooling.
- The topper features four corner straps to help you secure the topper to your mattress.
- The Layla is available in sizes Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King.
- The mattress topper is made in the USA.
After receiving the Layla topper at my house, I did notice an initial chemical smell. However, after I placed the mattress topper in a side room and opened a window, this odor immediately dissipated. After a day, the Layla was fully expanded and ready to use.
To test out the firmness of the Layla, I placed it on a mattress with a firmness of around 8/10. With the Layla on top, the mattress felt like 7/10. It feels like the Layla is taking away a full point of firmness.
However, I must note that I am a heavier person and weigh close to 230 lb. Lightweight sleepers might think the Layla topper is softer, as they won’t press so far in.
Here is how I feel while lying down in different sleeping positions:
- Lying on my back, I feel fantastic. The memory foam takes the shape of my body and supports my lumbar area as well. It is a great match for back sleeping.
- Moving to my side, I am feeling some firmness on my shoulders and hips. Still, the topper is definitely softening the mattress so the pressure relief is better. Lighter-weight side sleepers should feel even better pressure relief.
- While lying on my stomach, the topper is too soft for me. I feel my hips bowing in, and I am not getting the support I need.
The company recommends using the Layla topper with the Layla mattress. The mattress is flippable, so it offers two firmnesses in one. You can use the topper to make the soft side extra soft or soften the firm side.
With the topper on the soft side, I felt great while side sleeping. I sunk into two layers of soft memory foam and felt no pressure on my shoulders and hips. With the topper on the firm side, the mattress was perfect for back sleeping.
The Layla topper has that soft memory foam feel. It is slow-moving and does not respond very quickly. I did have some difficulty moving around on the mattress topper.
In terms of warmth, the Layla is one of the cooler-sleeping memory foam mattress toppers I’ve tried. While it isn’t necessarily cooling me, it isn’t heating up either.
I really enjoyed my experience on the Layla topper. It is a great option for back sleepers, light side sleepers, and those who like memory foam but don’t want to sleep hot. It might not be the best choice for stomach sleepers and those who don’t like the memory foam feel.
The Layla comes with free shipping, a 120-night trial, and a 5-year warranty.
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- 5 Best Sleep Masks 2019 – Which Will You Choose? - July 16, 2019
- Teletherapy Could Be As Effective In Treating Insomnia As Face-To-Face Therapy - July 13, 2019
- Saatva HD Vs. Titan – Which Mattress Is A Better Fit For You? - July 9, 2019