Leesa and Bear mattress are two popular online-only mattress companies that have seen great success with their business model. There are a lot of similarities between the two mattresses but some key differences as well. I’ll highlight the main differences in this Leesa vs Bear mattress comparison to try to help people if they are deciding between these two mattresses.
- Both have a similar business model and are 10 inches thick
- Both mattresses do a great job of addressing the issue of sleeping hot
- Both are all foam mattresses that contain some memory foam in the construction
- Both have great customer service and also have great trial periods and return policies
- The Leesa comfort layer is .5 inches thicker than the Bear mattress
- Leesa uses Avena foam over memory foam; Bear uses memory foam over specialty polyfoam
- Leesa has a springier, more resilient feel, while Bear is a little more slow-moving
- Leesa is $999 for a Queen, while Bear is $800 (with $50 coupon)
Main Construction Differences
- Bear uses celliant fiber in its cover. This may bring you certain health benefits, but I would do your own research to vouch for those claims.
- Leesa is slightly bouncier than the Bear mattress because of its use of Avena foam on the very top of the mattress compared to memory foam.
- The mattresses are both the same height of 10 inches. The Leesa comfort layer is 4 inches thick versus 3.5 inches thick for the Bear. Any differences based on those stats would be very subtle.
- The main difference is Leesa uses specialty foam over memory foam and Bear uses memory foam over specialty foam.
- The memory foam used in the Bear mattress is a greater density than that used in the Leesa. In my experience, this would mean the Bear would be more durable for most people.
The videos below show off the general feel you can expect from the mattresses. In my opinion, the firmness level is pretty comparable between the two mattresses. As you can see, Leesa’s feel is springier whereas the Bear is a little more slow-moving.
You Might Want To Pick Leesa If:
- You Want A More Responsive Mattress– The Leesa is definitely bouncier/more resilient than the Bear. This makes it easier to move around the bed and is a feel that some may prefer.
- You Want A Foam Feel Without Sinking In Too Much– Leesa has a nice balanced foam feel without the feeling of sinking in too much or getting stuck.
You Might Want To Pick Bear If:
- You Value The Celliant Cover- The celliant fabric woven into the cover of the Bear mattress can potentially bring you some health benefits and give you a more restful sleep.
- You Prefer Sinking Into The Mattress More- By using memory foam on the top of the mattress, you get more of a feeling of slowly sinking into the mattress than you do with Leesa.
Read our Bear mattress review
Which Should You Pick?
To me, the key is whether you want a springier feel where it’s easier to move around or whether you want to sink into the mattress more slowly. Both choices are great, so I don’t think you can lose either way. Looking to compare Leesa and Bear to other mattresses? Check out our popular comparisons like Leesa vs Casper and Bear vs Layla. Leave any questions in the comments below.
Joe Auer is the editor of Mattress Clarity. He mainly focuses on mattress reviews and oversees the content across the site.
He likes things simple and take a straightforward, objective approach to his reviews. Joe has personally tested nearly 250 mattresses and always recommends people do their research before buying a new bed. He has been testing mattresses for over 5 years now, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to mattress selection. He has been cited as an authority in the industry by a number of large publications.
Joe has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest University and an MBA from Columbia University.