As someone who struggles with anxiety, a weighted blanket has been immensely helpful. Science has shown that weighted blankets provide “deep tissue pressure” which raises serotonin and dopamine levels while cutting down on cortisol levels. I have personally felt better after sleeping under a weighted blanket, and studies have found that many with anxiety have felt the same.
If anxiety is a primary reason you are considering a weighted blanket, I have picked five blankets that I think perform quite well. I have reviewed numerous weighted blankets, and I personally felt less anxiety under all five of these.
So, which weighted blanket will help you the most with your anxiety? Read on for my full buying guide.
The Gravity Blanket is a top-of-the-line weighted blanket and should be a durable, long-lasting investment.
Best Weight Distribution
The Honeybird features some great weight distribution. It will apply even weight across your body.
Best Duvet Cover
The Quility comes with a very comfortable Minky duvet cover. This makes the Quility a warm, soothing weighted blanket.
The YnM is a very nice weighted blanket that comes in a number of weight and size options.
The DREAMality weighted blanket is a breathable option with great weight distribution. It is also a fantastic value.
Top Picks Explained
There are so many weighted blankets out there. They vary in terms of size, weight, and extra features. Again, the following weighted blankets all helped me with my anxiety, but I did pick them for a few different reasons.
The Gravity Blanket is an extremely popular weighted blanket and it is also one of my favorites. It is very high-quality and comes with an awesome Minky cover. Minky is a polyester material that is fuzzy and cozy.
The Gravity Blanket comes in three weight options: 15, 20, and 25 lbs. Most companies recommend buying a weighted blanket that is roughly 10% percent of your body weight. You can also add or subtract a few pounds depending on your weight preferences. If we do the math, the Gravity Blanket could be a good fit for people between 130 and 280 lbs.
No matter what weight you choose, the Gravity Blanket comes in a throw-size (72″ x 48″). This means the Gravity Blanket is designed to fit a single sleeper’s body and create a cocoon effect with more concentrated weight.
The Gravity Blanket should add nice soothing weight and could help you wake up with fewer feelings of anxiety.
What Makes The Gravity Blanket Stand Out?
- It comes with a free Minky duvet cover.
- The blanket is made of high-quality materials and should be quite durable.
- The Gravity Blanket comes in three weights: 15, 20, and 25 lbs.
- There is a cooling version available as well.
Read the full Gravity Blanket review
Best Weight Distribution
So, weight is, of course, a major consideration when buying a weighted blanket. However, weight distribution can be just as important. Weight distribution is a measure of how well a blanket’s weight is dispersed across your body.
When it comes to weight distribution, the Honeybird is one of the best weighted blankets I have tried. Like most weighted blankets, the Honeybird features gridded stitching as you find on a comforter. However, the squares on the Honeybird are much smaller than what you find on other weighted blankets. Because of this design, I feel no dead spots or areas that are too heavy. The weight is even across my body.
The Honeybird is available in 10, 15, and 20 lbs. Even though I usually prefer a weighted blanket closer to 25 lbs, I still feel nice concentrated weight. The Honeybird is also throw-sized, so I get the cocoon effect.
You can also opt to include a duvet cover in your Honeybird order. The duvet cover has soft Minky on top and a cooling cotton panel on the bottom. Even with the duvet cover around it, the Honeybird is breathable and does not sleep too hot.
So if you want a weighted blanket with fantastic weight distribution that shouldn’t make you heat up, check out the Honeybird.
What Makes The Honeybird Stand Out?
- The Honeybird distributes its weight evenly across the body.
- It offers concentrated weight to create a soothing cocoon
- The optional duvet cover is a comfy, yet cooling addition to the blanket.
- The Honeybird is very breathable and could be a good choice for hot sleepers.
Read the full Honeybird review
Best Duvet Cover
A cozy duvet cover can make a good weighted blanket great. That’s what the Quility has to offer. The weighted blanket comes with a free Minky duvet cover that is extremely soft and comfortable. On one side, it is soft and smooth. On the other side, it is bumpy which helps to give it a massaging effect.
Also, the duvet cover makes this one of the warmer weighted blankets I have tried. The Quility is probably not a good choice for hot sleepers, but those who want a weighted blanket to actually keep them warm will love it. On colder nights, you should get all the weight and warmth that you require.
The Quility actually comes with the duvet cover included. So, if you think a cozy cover is what you want, you could also save some money on your purchase.
The Quility should provide deep pressure as well as comforting warmth for those who struggle with anxiety.
What Makes The Quility Stand Out?
- It includes a free warm, comfortable duvet cover.
- The weighted blanket comes in many weights.
- The Quility “New Sewing Technology” to keep the heavy fill in place.
- The blanket itself is made of breathable, 100% organic cotton.
Finding the right weight and size is so important when you are buying a weighted blanket. While some companies offer only three weight options, the YnM offers very many. You can choose from 5, 7, 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 22, 25, and 30 lbs. That means the YnM could work for children all the way up to people over 300 lbs.
Also, with some of the weights, there are three size options. For instance, you can get a 15 lb YnM weighted blanket in Twin, Queen, or King-size. So, whether you prefer a narrower or wider weighted blanket, you should find a good fit with a YnM.
No matter what size or weight you need to deal with your anxiety, the YnM should have what you need.
What Makes The YnM Stand Out?
- Available in many weights: 5, 7, 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 22, 25, and 30 lbs.
- Some weights are available in Twin, Queen, and King-size.
- YnM also offers a number of duvet covers and cozier choices for children.
- The blankets feature high-quality materials and are very durable.
Many weighted blankets out there can cost you upwards of $200. However, you really don’t need to spend so much on a quality weighted blanket. The DREAMality costs less than $100, so it is my top value pick.
While the DREAMality doesn’t cost much, it is a very impressive weighted blanket. First off, it features some fantastic weight distribution. The gridded squares are quite small, so I feel an even amount of weight across my body.
The DREAMality comes in two weights 15 lbs and 20 lbs. This is not many options, however, I did feel like I was getting some heavy pressure with the 20 lb blanket. Both blankets are throw-sized and create some concentrated weight.
You also shouldn’t sleep too hot under the DREAMality. It is a very breathable weighted blanket that lets air pass through. I personally did not feel too sweaty or clammy while sleeping under the DREAMality.
Overall, the DREAMality is a high-quality weighted blanket sold for a value price. It should help with anxiety without breaking the bank.
What Makes The DREAMality Stand Out?
- It is a great value and costs less than $100.
- The DREAMality distributes weight evenly.
- It is very breathable and could be a good fit for hot sleepers.
- You can opt for an integrated Minky cover.
Read the full DREAMality weighted blanket review
What Should You Consider When Buying A Weighted Blanket?
- The weight. Well, this is kind of an obvious point. You really can’t just buy any weighted blanket and expect it to be a good fit for you. Most companies recommend that you choose a weighted blanket that is around 10% of your body weight. You can go a bit lighter or heavier, but this is the basic idea. So, I am 230 lbs. 23 is 10% of my weight. I like my weighted blankets heavier, so I usually opt for a 25 lb weight blanket.
- Weight distribution. Finding the right weight is essential, but how well is it being dispersed across your body? Does it feel lumpy? Are there areas that lack weight? These are signs that your blanket has poor weight distribution. To get the most restful sleep, you want a weighted blanket with even weight distribution.
- Temperature. When you are buying any kind of bedding, the temperature is always a consideration. Most weighted blankets are going to make you sleep a bit hotter. They contain heavy fill, and that doesn’t leave the most room for airflow. That being said, some weighted blankets feature cooling panels or more breathable materials such as organic cotton. These features can ensure you aren’t sweating and heating up at night.
- Durability. Most weighted blankets are filled with fine fill such as glass beads or poly pellets. While these can help give the blanket its weight, they can also be a real pain if the blanket tears. When this happens, the fill can spill out all over your bed an floor. It will look and feel like you have sand all over your bedroom. So, you want a weighted blanket that will prevent this issue. Look for a weighted blanket with thick fabric and durable construction.
How Can A Weighted Blanket Help With Anxiety?
As I mentioned above, weighted blankets work through something called “deep tissue pressure.” This is also described as a “deep hug.” So, when you lie under a weighted blanket, you could feel a sense of calm. Like when you get a big hug, your serotonin and dopamine levels increase. This can increase feelings of wellbeing. Cortisol levels, which are associated with stress, can also drop.
One study found that people who struggled with anxiety felt better after using a weighted blanket. They used a 30 lb weighted blanket for only five minutes. In the study, 63% of participants reported feeling lower anxiety after using the weighted blanket. This is only after five minutes!
I personally use a weighted blanket for anxiety. I place one over my legs while I am at work. I also sleep under a weighted blanket at night. I can say it has been very great at dealing with my anxiety.
If you are like me and struggle with anxiety, one of these weighted blankets should work for you. However, I will say that I am not a doctor. I recommend checking with a therapist or medical professional before adding a weighted blanket to your treatment.
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- Luna Weighted Blanket Review – Options Galore! - October 10, 2019
- Populum Full Spectrum Hemp Oil Review – Will It Help You Sleep? - September 27, 2019
- Best Weighted Blankets For Anxiety - September 25, 2019