The Charcoal Coast Firm Pillow Top is a hybrid mattress. It is one of 20 models in the Simmons Beautyrest Silver collection, which is the most affordable Beautyrest collection.
Construction And Materials
The Charcoal Coast Firm Pillow Top mattress is approximately 15.5” high and contains:
- Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, which is a cooling fiber enhanced with silver to prevent the growth of bacteria and mold
- Aircool® Foam, which helps keep people cool
- Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, which helps relieve pressure where the body meets the mattress
- Geltouch® Foam, which is designed to offer soothing comfort
- Backcare® Support, which are coils “strategically located in the center third of the mattress [to] enhance contouring back support”
- 815 Density Plush Beautyrest® Pocketed Coil® Technology to support the body and isolate movement
The Charcoal Coast Firm Pillow Top is a firmer hybrid mattress that should offer support as well as some soft comfort. This mattress is specially designed to be extra supportive when people are on their back, because the middle is more supportive than the rest of the mattress.
In addition, the mattress has multiple components that should help people sleep cool. The Dualcool Fiber and Aircool foams dissipate heat, and the coil system promotes airflow.
Simmons states this mattress is a Firm Pillow Top. Firmer mattresses are typically a better choice for people who sleep on their back or stomach. At the same time, the pillow-top design adds a soft layer to help with pressure relief.
That being said, without further information, we cannot give a more specific assessment of the firmness level.
Common Praise: What Makes This Mattress Stand Out?
- A pillow-top mattress is a good fit for people who want a softer feel on top combined with firm support underneath.
- This mattress contains Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, Aircool® Foam, and Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, which are designed to keep people cool at night. This mattress may be good for people who run hot.
- This model contains Backcare® Support, so it’s a good selection for people who would like extra back support or are concerned about their mattress sagging.
Common Complaints And Other Things To Note
- The pillow-top layer of a mattress might wear down over time so that the mattress feels less comfortable the longer it’s in use.
- Side sleepers may think this mattress is too firm. Even with the pillow-top, it could put some pressure on hips and shoulders.
- At the same time, people who prefer the feel of a very firm mattress may think this mattress doesn’t feel very firm due to the soft pillow-top layer on top.
- Because the pillow-top layer is only on one side of the mattress, people cannot flip a pillow-top mattress to use the other side.
Why Should People Choose This Over The Other Silver Models?
This is a pillow-top model. Many of the other models in the Silver collection do not have a pillow-top.
It is most likely a firmer model, so it could be a better fit for those who sleep on their back or stomach.
It is a hybrid mattress, which means it contains both springs and foam. The Silver collection also contains pure innerspring mattresses that do not contain any foam. If people like the feeling of foam, this may be a good choice.
This mattress is 15.5” high and contains Dualcool™ Technology Fiber, Aircool® Foam, Aircool® Gel Memory Foam, Geltouch® Foam, Backcare® Support, and 815 Density Plush Beautyrest® Pocketed Coil® Technology.
The Charcoal Coast Firm Pillow Top mattress is a pillow-top mattress with cooling technology. It should be firmer, so it could be a good fit for back and stomach sleepers. The pillow-top also adds some softness, so there could be decent pressure relief as well. However, people who sleep primarily on their side may still find this mattress to be too firm.
All images from Simmons
Latest posts by Marten Carlson (see all)
- Intex Air Mattress Review – Great For A Guest Room? - February 26, 2020
- AeroBed Air Mattress Review – A Luxury Option? - February 21, 2020
- Casper Humidity Fighting Duvet Review – Great For Hot Sleepers? - February 18, 2020