The Alexander Hybrid is the most asked about mattress from Nest Bedding, so I was excited to give it a try and see what the fuss is about. The mattress overall does deliver on comfort and support, but I had some complaints as well (see how it compares HERE).
If you are looking for something that truly feels like a balance between a memory foam mattress and an innerspring mattress, then I think that’s exactly what you get here. The spring system is going to be very supportive and the foam on top is very pressure relieving.
Read on for my full Alexander Hybrid mattress review.
You’ll love the Alexander Hybrid if you…
- Want a foam mattress without the “sinking in” feeling – with both foam and pocket coils, the Alexander Hybrid has the comfort and support of a memory foam mattress without the “stuck in the mattress” feeling.
- Want improved edge support – the Alexander Hybrid has pocket coils around the edge, giving it significantly better edge support than most foam mattresses.
- Are looking for great value – this mattress comes from Nest Bedding, a regional mattress store that recently has gained notoriety online for their high mattress quality. For many (including myself), the Alexander Hybrid is the best of Nest Bedding.
You may not like the Alexander Hybrid if you…
- Want firmness options – unlike most of the options from Nest Bedding, there is only one firmness option for the Alexander Hybrid (pretty average firmness)
- Want an innerspring feel – when some people think hybrid, they think of a mattress that still has a strong innerspring feel. This mattress has pocket coils, but it feels more like a foam mattress generally.
Firmness and Feel
The Alexander Hybrid has a unique feel since it has both pocket coils and foam. Overall the mattress feels more like a foam mattress than an innerspring mattress (some hybrids are the opposite). See our best innerspring mattresses if you prefer that feel.
The firmness is average (and there is only one option), I’d say a 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale. As you can see in the video above, the mattress regains shape fairly quickly for a foam mattress, certainly faster than a pure memory foam mattress.
Motion Transfer Test
The mattress has both foam and pocket coils, so as expected it performs very well in the motion transfer test. If you sleep with a partner that likes to toss and turn throughout the night, this may be a good mattress option for you.
Also relevant, this mattress has pocket coils around the perimeter, giving it much better edge support than the average foam mattress. This makes the mattress feel bigger (you can sleep closer to the edge comfortably), making it an even better mattress for couples.
The points that stand out in construction is the copper-infused memory foam (which aims to help with cooling) and the pocket coil/foam combination. The exact construction consists of:
- 2 inch Quilted Cover: 1.5 lb density quilted foam with stretch fabric cover
- 2 inch foam comfort layer: 3.5 lb density copper-infused memory foam
- 2 inch transition layer: 1.8 lb density SmartFlow foam
- 7 inches of pocket coils: 5 zoned edge support pocket coils
Add that up and you get 13 inches total of mattress. The mattress also has additional edge-support pocket coils to improve edge support.
Other things to note
- The mattress is made in the USA
- It has a 100 night free trial
- They offer free shipping and financing
- This is my favorite of the Nest Bedding mattresses (I’ve also reviewed the Alexander Signature Select, the Love Bed, and the SmartHouse Cool Sleeper)
- The company has a lifetime warranty and lifetime comfort guarantee. The company really wants their customers to be happy
Overall I really liked the Alexander Hybrid mattress, I definitely put it as my favorite mattress from Nest Bedding due to the comfort/support tradeoff (see my full list of mattress reviews). I think it could potentially work for any sleeping position as well, which is a unique find.